Microsoft acquires Bethesda!

Deleted member 110222

D
I think MS already had a bit of exclusivity round about the time of Elder Scrolls Oblivion, where the Xbox got some extra DLC that the PS3 didn't get.
That's correct. PS3 only got Oblivion's "big" DLC's, in Kot9 & SI. Xbox 360 got that and all the smaller plugins.

Anyway guys, I am actually not too bothered. I've known Zenimax were looking for a buyer for some time and frankly, this is probably the best possible outcome.

One thing is for sure. The UESP Discord server is not on fire right now. I am actually quite relaxed. And I am the one here who follows Elder Scrolls like a religion.

Deleted member 110222

D
I don't think people realise that Microsoft has been fantastic in the last few years.

Things changed big after the disastrous "Don't have Internent? Stick with the 360." Xbox One launch... That team got replaced, and since then, Microsoft has been honestly one of the good guys in PC gaming.

I'm actually cautiously optimistic about the future of Bethesda titles.

I don't think people realise that Microsoft has been fantastic in the last few years.

Things changed big after the disastrous "Don't have Internent? Stick with the 360." Xbox One launch... That team got replaced, and since then, Microsoft has been honestly one of the good guys in PC gaming.

I'm actually in a somewhat similar mindset, although a tad less optimistic.

Microsoft has changed a lot in recent years since the old guard management left, all across the board, not just in gaming but as a software/computing company. I've been in the software industry for 20 years, I've witnessed how they changed their old stance of aggressive market domination and locking costumers to their products" to a much more open/cooperative stance in the last half decade or so. The quality of their products have also been steadily increasing for the past 10 years when compared to the previous decades.

I actually have more faith (although still very little) that Bethesda might reverse their downwards spiral under the "new" Microsoft, than on it's own.

Microsoft to release future Bethesda games on other consoles “on a case-by-case basis”

Microsoft will keep that commitment, Spencer said in an interview. Future games, like Starfield, will be available for Xbox, PC and Microsoft’s Game Pass video-game service. “We’ll take other consoles on a case-by-case basis,” Spencer said.
Nadella said Microsoft may consider releasing games on other platforms in the future. “When we think about strategy whether it’s in gaming or any other part of Microsoft, each layer has to stand on its own for what it brings. When we talk about our content we want our content to be broadly available.”

Microsoft to release future Bethesda games on other consoles “on a case-by-case basis”

I like that...

"Hey Sony, you let us release Ghost of Tsushima on the gamestore and we'll let your PS5 players buy Starfield." :D

Yup. Microsoft has embraced a lot of things that were inconceivable before. Linux, open source and even (to a degree) cross platform play.

would be an interesting concept, although I recon AAA titles will end up being exclusives
Sony are opening up a bit toward IP exclusives...given that Horizon Zero Dawn and Death stranding have both appeared on Steam in the last month or 2. What I'm hoping from this latest news is that it may offer the way forward to a degree of entente cordial between MS and Sony with regard to this ridiculous platform exclusive nonsense....only saying that because I want Ghost of Tsushima on PC... like yesterday :D

Last edited:
I think this is actually good news. (hopefully)
1) somebody is going to put a leash on Tod's stupid ideas.
2) somebody could actually enforce a bit of quality control on the games
3) somebody could whip up the development of Starfield (It will now also receive a new custom engine which is even better news, imo)

But why dont we actually wait until Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 are out before we sound the death knell for Bethesda, hmmm?
Besides the fact they basically said:
"Hey guys, you know that buggy decades old game engine we been putting out games on since morrowind?
Yes, the one that has been the butt of jokes on the internet for years and our customers have to patch themselves.
...well we are going to put our next two big games out on it...."

Besides the fact they basically said:
"Hey guys, you know that buggy decades old game engine we been putting out games on since morrowind?
Yes, the one that has been the butt of jokes on the internet for years and our customers have to patch themselves.
...well we are going to put our next two big games out on it...."
Umm not really, saying "it's the same engine" is misleading.

See the following https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/elder-scrolls-6-engine/ for an explanation.

Top Bottom