Mining: Great Job FD!

• Thread starter Deleted member 115407
  • Start date

Deleted member 115407

D
Collector Limpets, Prospector Limpets, Pulse Wave Scanners, Mining Lasers, Seismic Charges, Subsurface Missiles, Abrasion Blasters, Night Vision...

Mining is awesome now.

That's not sarcasm - I mean it. Mining is much more engaging now than it used to be, and I've always been an avid miner.

I like the FSS thing, too.

The only thing I'm missing is the controller that analyzes the rings. Doesn't seem to be necessary, but I'll get around to it.

edit: (yeah, you're going to want to scan rings... Pics in the thread)

So far, I can say "don't change a thing", FD. You guys nailed it.

I'm could synthesize more limpets, but I think 27M Cr is good enough for one mining run :)
2ngEkqb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 115407

D
Had you already scanned that ring previously and did your Krait have a DSS when you revisited this?

I turned in my metals, then took a DSS over to Bhagui 1, where I scanned the ice ring. Picked up those two hotspots, both in the ice ring. Still need to scan the rocky ring.

Probably worth visiting the 2nd planet with the full rocky ring, too.

I'm in the opal hotspot now. Will prospect and let you know how it goes.

I like a lot of the new system, but there's a lot of quirks that I think should be ironed out.

The Pulse Wave Scanner only being a "new mechanic" detector is unfortunate, because it has so much more potential than that, and could be put to much better use.

Firegroup/hardpoint bloat is a real concern as well.

It sort of feels to me like the best way to mine is either to just ignore the new mechanics and go old-school, or to ignore the old and sub-surface and just hunt deep-cores.

Sub-surface is a fun mechanic, but doesn't seem worth it, given the materials it rewards. It would make a lot more sense if it gave you the new deep-core resources. Maybe that's tainted by my motherlode hunting in Metal-Rich rings though.

I do appreciate that if you're only surface prospecting, a prospector limpet isn't needed, that's a nice quality-of-life change for smaller miners, or those who want some mining as a side-gig on a multirole ship.

I'm worried that new mining doesn't seem to give any materials, meaning that legacy mining is required for getting things like lead.

It kind of feels like legacy mining is still holding things back somewhat. I wish FD had just killed it off instead of trying to balance the awesome new stuff around it.

I do really like how the new mechanics kill the need to dedicate multiple slots to collector limpets, but that's undercut by legacy mining still lingering on (and being required and evidently balanced around). I like new mining enough to want to only new-mine, but the game doesn't want to let me yet.

Deleted member 115407

D
I like a lot of the new system, but there's a lot of quirks that I think should be ironed out.

The Pulse Wave Scanner only being a "new mechanic" detector is unfortunate, because it has so much more potential than that, and could be put to much better use.

Firegroup/hardpoint bloat is a real concern as well.

It sort of feels to me like the best way to mine is either to just ignore the new mechanics and go old-school, or to ignore the old and sub-surface and just hunt deep-cores.

Sub-surface is a fun mechanic, but doesn't seem worth it, given the materials it rewards. It would make a lot more sense if it gave you the new deep-core resources. Maybe that's tainted by my motherlode hunting in Metal-Rich rings though.

I do appreciate that if you're only surface prospecting, a prospector limpet isn't needed, that's a nice quality-of-life change for smaller miners, or those who want some mining as a side-gig on a multirole ship.

I'm worried that new mining doesn't seem to give any materials, meaning that legacy mining is required for getting things like lead.

It kind of feels like legacy mining is still holding things back somewhat. I wish FD had just killed it off instead of trying to balance the awesome new stuff around it.

I do really like how the new mechanics kill the need to dedicate multiple slots to collector limpets, but that's undercut by legacy mining still lingering on (and being required and evidently balanced around). I like new mining enough to want to only new-mine, but the game doesn't want to let me yet.

That's a good review. I think they compliment (old and new mining) each other well, and I'm doing them both at the same time. Though I'll say that if I go through the trouble to drill subsurface deposits or blast at cores, then the yields for doing so should be higher.

I don't understand the question.

As mentioned by many others during beta, and Corlas (above), the PWS is questionable in its purpose. It smells of a designer being fixated on their new toys (the new mining gameplay of surface, subsurface and fissures) instead of looking at mining as a unified joined up mechanic.

Personally at least, if I go mining I'd most likely be looking for one or more specific materials. What use is the PWS when all it gives is a heat map for asteroids with the new mechanics on (surface, subsurface and fissures), irrespective of what they contain? I could be next to an asteroid with the most valuable/rich source of what I'm looking for in "legacy mining" form, and the PWS is worthless in pointing this out. So the PWS is almost pointless...

Ultimately I'd like the challenge of mining as efficiently as possible, no matter that form it is (legacy, surface, subsurface and fissures). Yet the PWS tries to steer you simply towards the shiney new mechanics for some unknown reason?

Now, had it instead be designed so you could program it (tick some boxes next to materials) for what you're looking for, and its heat map gives some sort of indication of the amount of it in asteroids around you, either irrespective of format (legacy, surface, subsurface and fissures), or with some additional indication of the format (legacy, surface, subsurface and fissures), great.

But as it stands, the PWS just feels poorly conceived. TBH, the game would have been better off without it. And I suspect now all FD will do, in typical FD band-aid fashion, is drastically increase the payout of the new mining mechanics to give the PWS artificial worth.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
We've been asking for valuable Rocky ring mining for some time. This is my result from DSSing the Rocky ring on Bhagui 1

These minerals go for 200k-300k on the markets. I'm unable to verify, since I found no Opal in the last hotspot, but it may be that you can only get these high payout minerals by subsurface/deep core mining. I also don't recall seeing opal on the commodities market, but may have missed it. I'll check when I hit port.

(edit) Yeah, Opal goes for a little under 200k

Unfortunately I'm out of limpets, so will have to make a quick pit stop before I test further.

0Aqhxu9.jpg

Deleted member 115407

D
But as it stands, the PWS just feels poorly conceived. TBH, the game would have been better off without it....

I'm having fun with it, and am not ready to take a giant crap on it just yet.

We've been asking for valuable Rocky ring mining for some time. This is my result from DSSing the Rocky ring on Bhagui 1

These minerals go for 200k-300k on the markets. I'm unable to verify, since I found no Opal in the last hotspot, but it may be that you can only get these high payout minerals by subsurface/deep core mining.

Unfortunately I'm out of limpets, so will have to make a quick pit stop before I test further.
And the risk with obviously more lucrative/rich locations (hotspots)?

ie: Everyone now goes to the exact system you've highlighted, to the exact ring you've highlighted, to the exact hotspot you've highlighted, and mines there? Why mine anywhere else that would result in obviously less income?

So like you, I'm intrigued to see how guaranteed and lucrative something is that declares itself as an "Low Temperature Diamond" hotspot :) If it's as significant as it suggests, I'm intereted to see what mechanics FD have in place to keep it in check etc...

I'm having fun with it, and am not ready to take a giant crap on it just yet.
No one's suggesting even taking a small poo on it. Just asking that FD try and join up some of the mechanics ideally. ie: A "here's new mechanics" scanner doesn't feel joined up.

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
And the risk with obviously more lucrative/rich locations (hotspots)?

ie: Everyone now goes to the exact system you've highlighted, to the exact ring you've highlighted, to the exact hotspot you've highlighted, and mines there? Why mine anywhere else that would result in obviously less income?

So like you, I'm intrigued to see how guaranteed and lucrative something is that declares itself as an "Low Temperature Diamond" hotspot :) If it's as significant as it suggests, I'm intereted to see what mechanics FD have in place to keep it in check etc...

But there are plenty of them, at least in Bhagui. And although that system is pristine, I assume that means they are all over the place. I'll have to branch out after playing in this system to find out.

Also, although it was a hotspot, there wasn't an abundance of Opal. I found none, as a matter of fact. So you still have to spend time looking for them.

No one's suggesting even taking a small poo on it. Just asking that FD try and join up some of the mechanics ideally. ie: A "here's new mechanics" scanner doesn't feel joined up.

I like it. It gives you the opportunity to scale your mining to how deeply you want to get into it. I get your skepticism, but I just don't share it - at least for now.

Also, tip... if you detect cores in an asteroid, but they "disappear" after surface mining it with lasers, crack it anyways. They'll still be there.

I'm going back to the pristine ring now to map it and see what pops up, then will hit the remaining rock/ice rings in the system.

Sapiety is nearby, too. Another Pristine. I'll hit it next. Then I'll go try some less than pristine systems.

But there are plenty of them, at least in Bhagui. And although that system is pristine, I assume that means they are all over the place. I'll have to branch out after playing in this system to find out.

Also, although it was a hotspot, there wasn't an abundance of Opal. I found none, as a matter of fact. So you still have to spend time looking for them.
Ultimately I'm intrigued to see if we just end up with a couple of go to Hotspots. ie: We have three or four "Low Tempterature Diamond" hotspots around the bubbke which is where anyone looking to mine for CRs simply goes...

Last edited:

Deleted member 115407

D
Pristine Metallic Ring (found some more in the ice ring as well). Going to go hit Bhagui 2 and scan the rocky ring.

Okr7BhS.jpg

These minerals go for 200k-300k on the markets. I'm unable to verify, since I found no Opal in the last hotspot, but it may be that you can only get these high payout minerals by subsurface/deep core mining.

From what I can tell, hotspots only refer to deep-core rewards, and I've only ever seen the high payout stuff from deep-cores. Seem to get around 15 tons per split rock through, so it's a good quanitity when you find one.

I'd like to see it moved from deep-core only to deep-core and sub-surface.

I would probably be having more fun mining if I make a dedicated miner and legacy mined with it, treating the new stuff as perks. I think my main disappointment is basically that I was eager to ditch legacy mining, so I'm disappointed my ideal didn't match with FD's.

I guess the variety in loadout the current system offers is kind of cool:

Legacy miner with new things as perks doesn't need a PWS. Strictly new mining doesn't need collector limpets really (assuming the fix the issues with manually scooping the new fragments). Surface mining doesn't need prospectors. That range of options is a good thing.

Deep core mining is cool and fun. In the beta i setup a Cobra IV as a deep miner and netted about 7 million in one run. I actually had to dump painite to make room for the new stuff.

I might make it back home this weekend, maybe I'll see you online... In the meantime, enjoy the new toys Vin!

Last edited:
Top Bottom