Mining help. Pulling my hair out.

Edit: not sure exactly what the problem was, but as suggested I reinstalled and it fixed itself.

I'm so fed up with this. I have everything I need for engineering high tiered enhancements but I still need fricken iron. EVERYONE says iron is the easiest thing to get blah blah. I've followed every tutorial for asteroid mining, pristine blah blah, icy blah blah, metallic, blah blah, metal rich blah blah. Used the lasers and every other mining tool. Some say use the refinery others say don't. Did everything I could for asteroid ming and ZERO yield in iron.

So I decided to finally give srv mining a go.
1. I cant use a scanner (all guides say assign it to a fire group. Duh did that)
2. I can't aim my turret.
I can only shoot directly in front of me.
3. I know what each sound and visual identification that shows up on the radar just under the targeting reticle on the other scanner looks and sounds like. Used different websites to identify the sounds and symbols

(1 & 3 was this changed in a recent update where the scanner is auto and there's no need to assign anything to a fire group?)

I see and hear there should be stuff near by. I can't find anything. Only these dumb little grey rocks. I've seen pics and videos of all sorts of differently colorer, textured, sized rocks people have been mining. I get zip nadda and zilch. I've tried (seriously) over 30 planets and drove around for hours. Nothing.

I've gone a head and mapped out planets and received notifications of specific things in specific spots and get beacons for where theyed be, as I've watched in other videos. I fly in, land, hop in my buggy and drive and guess what I find?

You guessed it. Nothing.

TL;DR

I'm on Xbox1 (the original 250g first generation) I've followed numerous text tutorials and video guides for asteroid basic mining and deep core mining, as well as srv surface mining. I just can't seem to get common or very common materials. In the srv I can't even find anything to mine. HALP!

Edit: not sure exactly what the problem was, but as suggested I reinstalled and it fixed itself.

Last edited:
Hmmm..... I’ve never tried to mine iron in a ring. SRV is supposed to be the easy way but if you’re getting nothing at all then I’d try an uninstall and reinstall for Horizons.

As for the scanner stuff I’m not even sure what you mean. The wave scanner in the center is all you really need.

I’m on an original Xbox too but it has been a while since I’ve been in the srv.

Well, #2, you are correct. You cannot aim a turret.
Turrets are either aimed by your ship's computer, at other ships, or by another player in multicrew. If it's just you, they shoot straight ahead.

1 & 3.. What scanner are you trying to use? 3 I don't understand what you're talking about. Some screenshots would be nice.

I'm all too glad to help push your hair back in, but I need to understand your issue.

Edit:

I may have digested a bit more of what you're talking about here. If I'm right, you're referring to your SRV, not your ship. In that case...

The wave scanner is passive. It just does its own thing. You just follow it around. It's basically a "fish finder".
Your SRV turret, you can aim, but you have to be in "turret mode", which is a key bind you have to set. You also have to set controls to move it around.
For me, I use the same button on my throttle as I use to drop a heat sink in my ship to switch between the turret and the driver's seat.
To aim, I use one of the hat switches on my throttle, and I really try not to drive and aim at the same time, bad things tend to happen.

What you're looking for in the SRV are rocks you can shoot at. You'll have to lock on to them, just like you'd lock on to anything else. This just makes it far more possible to actually hit them. It takes a few shots, then the rock will break, releasing a number of fragments. Collect these by running over them with your SRV cargo scoop deployed. The nice thing about the SRV cargo scoop is you can leave it deployed and it has no ill effect on your driving, aiming or shooting. There's really not much of a reason to retract it.

And that's pretty much all there is to it.

Last edited:
In the SRV, head towards a signal, any signal. Find a rock (the signal will appear on your HUD as a white dot) and shoot it. Minerals will come out - usually iron.

The best planets to do this are metal-rich. The next best, metallic. Finally, rocky. Don't bother with icy moons

I'm so fed up with this. I have everything I need for engineering high tiered enhancements but I still need fricken iron. EVERYONE says iron is the easiest thing to get blah blah. I've followed every tutorial for asteroid mining, pristine blah blah, icy blah blah, metallic, blah blah, metal rich blah blah. Used the lasers and every other mining tool. Some say use the refinery others say don't. Did everything I could for asteroid ming and ZERO yield in iron.

So I decided to finally give srv mining a go.
1. I cant use a scanner (all guides say assign it to a fire group. Duh did that)
2. I can't aim my turret.
I can only shoot directly in front of me.
3. I know what each sound and visual identification that shows up on the radar just under the targeting reticle on the other scanner looks and sounds like. Used different websites to identify the sounds and symbols

(1 & 3 was this changed in a recent update where the scanner is auto and there's no need to assign anything to a fire group?)

I see and hear there should be stuff near by. I can't find anything. Only these dumb little grey rocks. I've seen pics and videos of all sorts of differently colorer, textured, sized rocks people have been mining. I get zip nadda and zilch. I've tried (seriously) over 30 planets and drove around for hours. Nothing.

I've gone a head and mapped out planets and received notifications of specific things in specific spots and get beacons for where theyed be, as I've watched in other videos. I fly in, land, hop in my buggy and drive and guess what I find?

You guessed it. Nothing.

TL;DR

I'm on Xbox1 (the original 250g first generation) I've followed numerous text tutorials and video guides for asteroid basic mining and deep core mining, as well as srv surface mining. I just can't seem to get common or very common materials. In the srv I can't even find anything to mine. HALP!

Do everybody a favour and get your iron from a mat' trader.

It's those dang keybinds again!!!
Seriously- you have to set the srv up in your keybinds- there is no default if you are using a joystick, the turret I have the same as deploy weapons for the ship. Moving it around is the joystick same as my ship, firing is same as my ship- don't make it hard do what is normal. You scan a planet and find geological sites- go there - land close - get in your crater buggy and the white squares will show up on your radar - go there find them and shoot them off of whatever they are stuck to. Deploy cargo scoop(Keybind) and scoop them- they will not show in the "Inventory" they will show in your raw mats(left column of the inventory tab) ta da. Rinse and repeat...

I'm unsure if anyone read the entire post or just the tl;Dr most of your responses, I've tried already as indicated in my op.

Well, #2, you are correct. You cannot aim a turret.
Turrets are either aimed by your ship's computer, at other ships, or by another player in multicrew. If it's just you, they shoot straight ahead.

1 & 3.. What scanner are you trying to use? 3 I don't understand what you're talking about. Some screenshots would be nice.

I'm all too glad to help push your hair back in, but I need to understand your issue.

Edit:

I may have digested a bit more of what you're talking about here. If I'm right, you're referring to your SRV, not your ship. In that case...

The wave scanner is passive. It just does its own thing. You just follow it around. It's basically a "fish finder".
Your SRV turret, you can aim, but you have to be in "turret mode", which is a key bind you have to set. You also have to set controls to move it around.
For me, I use the same button on my throttle as I use to drop a heat sink in my ship to switch between the turret and the driver's seat.
To aim, I use one of the hat switches on my throttle, and I really try not to drive and aim at the same time, bad things tend to happen.

What you're looking for in the SRV are rocks you can shoot at. You'll have to lock on to them, just like you'd lock on to anything else. This just makes it far more possible to actually hit them. It takes a few shots, then the rock will break, releasing a number of fragments. Collect these by running over them with your SRV cargo scoop deployed. The nice thing about the SRV cargo scoop is you can leave it deployed and it has no ill effect on your driving, aiming or shooting. There's really not much of a reason to retract it.

And that's pretty much all there is to it.

I can't seem to find aforementioned "turret mode" and j use cutom keybindjng on my ship. I may be looking in the wrong.

I'll be trying the reinstall, see if maybe I can see the targetable Rocks.

Those of you who read only the tl;Dr I know what mineable resources look like. They just aren't appearing. Anywhere. I've driven around for hours on multiple planets.

Also going to a material trader still doesn't solve me problem. Yea I can easily trade my higher tiered mats for lower tiered mats. But that's not the biggest issue in my op.

Conclusion:

I'll try to reinstall and see if that fixes my problem.

Ok, if you can't find rocks to shoot at (btw., "mining" is usually reserved for shooting at asteroids, mostly in planetary rings, from your ship), maybe try it at a biological or geological site.

Equip your ship with a DSS and scan a planet that has bio/geo sites (geo sites a.k.a. volcanism can be selected as "additional column" in EDDB - or just tell us your location and someone can recommend a planet for you). That will make those sites targetable from orbit.
Drive around the site, you should have the shootable objects pop up as squares on your regular scanner (plus on the wave scanner. They also will have the usual targeting brackets around them when you get close enough - and will appear as possible targets on your left HUD.

Once you've selected a target, the SRVs turret will try to auto-aim. This is your next frustration - unless you help along by positioning the SRV just right, it'll miss.

Just drop a few more lines if you want to go that way and reached that point - screenshots would also be helpful.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
I don't think it's a reinstall. It's likely you're missing something.

At Bongo said above, you need a metallic planet, then use the scanner on your SRV. That's the noise you hear and the scratchy looking band around the 3d 'radar' - http://www.wavescanner.net may help you. Otherwise have a look at youtube for some tutorials on it.

Last edited:
When you're driving around check your contacts on the left panel, you should see targets highlight as you get within 200m of a mine rock. I had trouble with the srv mining at first myself because I didn't understand what I was looking for. The srv turret will fire straight if you are in the driver seat but you can press 'U' I believe its the default key and aim the turret as needed, I remapped the targeting from my mouse to 'T' on the keyboard to keep it similar to ships targeting functions. I believe default lock on is right mouse button. The mining rocks should hgihlight as you get near them with a bracket around them which you can then lock on to. fire the turret or press U if needed to get better aim on it. it should break apart and give you multiple resources. when the resources drop you will have to target each one with the cargo scoop down to pick it up.
Since learning how to read the wave scanner I've spent a lot of time stockpiling resources and can vouch for them being on pretty much any landable planet you come across. Iron being the most common found in almost all cases. Alot of times when I'm having trouble locking on I will use the left panel to help me locate and target resources or nodes. you can also tell it to ignore resources you've already filled which comes in handy for identifying what you still need to acquire.
All of the keybindings will be in the lower section of the keybinds list under driving> drive targeting I believe is the title subsection if I am recalling correctly.

It's those dang keybinds again!!!
Seriously- you have to set the srv up in your keybinds

It also sounds to me as if you are missing some key binds for the SRV. You should be able to switch between the SRV cabin and the gun turret, the gun turret allows for much more accurate shooting.

As Ashnak says, iron is actually easy to find so if you give your location we can send you off to a Geo Site, so long as you fit a DSS to your ship, and you will get loaded up very quickly.

1. If you can screenshot your control settings we can be sure you’re not missing anything at all - keybinds are a nightmare and the best place to start looking for almost any issue.
  2. Allow us to send you to a Geo Site, if nothing shows up for you when you get there ( and we know your keybindings are good) we’ll know something very odd is happening. If you find no problems at the Geo site it will look likely that you’ve been looking on the wrong types of planet for iron.

Keep calm, despite how annoying and frustrating it is and let’s try to approach every possibility one at a time.

When entering a system use your system scan to identify which planets have geological features. Fly to one which has a good amount.

Make the whole thing a lot easier by doing a detailed surface scan of the planet first. This will identify where geological features are so they can be targeted, you land right next to them. Having done this you will at an extremely concentrated area of materials.

When you have exhausted the best area take off and move to the next best and so on till you either go to every geological site on a planet/moon or get bored.

Then visit a material trader where you will likely have an excess of certain materials to trade for whatever you need.

Others have covered using turrets and so I won't but don't forget to open your cargo scoop and target the material you want to pick up. Just drive over the material and the SRV will collect it. Easy as can be.

Fly safe o7

If nothing appears on your wave scanner (whatever it's called) after a good 10 - 15 mins, that suggests there is a problem. I recently landed on a planet and drove around for ages and found nothing. I left that planet and landed on another and it was fine - some planets are bugged, I guess.
No it was on the scanner and I've jumped to multiple planets

Make the whole thing a lot easier by doing a detailed surface scan of the planet first. This will identify where geological features are so they can be targeted, you land right next to them. Having done this you will at an extremely concentrated area of materials

As I mentioned in my op I did this already

No clue why anyone wants to do surface mining now that Material Traders are available.
The only single time I did this was on my way to Beagle Point in deep space when I needed some mats for synthesis.

Apologies, I re-read and you did indeed. Although I am on PC when I land by the geological site, (it's obvious for what it is) then I immediately get indicators on my scanner of the materials. I drive up to the appropriate rock, target the materials, blast them.

I've done quite a lot of surface prospecting this way and always found the materials are highlighted without any input from me. I don't think Xbox should be any different in the mechanics from PC? Just the control method

No clue why anyone wants to do surface mining now that Material Traders are available.
The only single time I did this was on my way to Beagle Point in deep space when I needed some mats for synthesis.

If you don't have any materials at all, how are you supposed to trade.

(I have materials to trade I'm just asking how you trade with nothing to offer)

Top Bottom