Newcomer / Intro Mining Lasers not Cooling off

I've decided to do a bit of mining. After I got the Type-6 for freight transfer. I changed it's loadout to a mining set up. the problem is that the mining laser would cool off after use. It could cool off if I used the Heat Sink, but that had too few charges to even be a viable build. When I had my cobra and sidewinder, i did a little mining and the mining lasers cooled off. I tried to remove the heat sink from the type -6 to see if that would allow the mining lasers to cool off, but it hasn't. What am I missing for my mining lasers to cool off.

I've decided to do a bit of mining. After I got the Type-6 for freight transfer. I changed it's loadout to a mining set up. the problem is that the mining laser would cool off after use. It could cool off if I used the Heat Sink, but that had too few charges to even be a viable build. When I had my cobra and sidewinder, i did a little mining and the mining lasers cooled off. I tried to remove the heat sink from the type -6 to see if that would allow the mining lasers to cool off, but it hasn't. What am I missing for my mining lasers to cool off.

Mining lasers are very heavy on the Power Distributer.
So make sure your T-6 is using a 3A PD and you keep 4 PIPS in WEP when you mining

^^^^^^ WOT THEY SAID ^^^^^^

It is not apparent to the new commander* but the allocation of "pips" to weapons is an allocation of energy capacity to the weaponry cooling equipment - not an allocation of energy to the actual weapon "firing".

* It is on page 15 of the manual but, hey, who reads manuals, right?

PD.jpg

If you decide to mine seriously you should look for a ship with some medium hard points, the larger lasers are much quicker and some of the advanced mining tools don’t come in small, and as large a Power Distributer as possible as the others have said mining is very energy intensive.

A T6 is a good starter ship to use for mining, but you must include a 3A power distributor to get the power to the lasers, then you must put 4 pips to weapons while you mine. The PD can provide 2.8MW, but the lasers take 3MW, so your capacitor will slowly empty. When it empties, your heat will go right up, so you must pause the lasers when the capacitor gets low to give it a chanve to fill up again, or you can mine in bursts, and give the limpets a chance to catch up. Recommended build for no engineers:

If you mine platinum in Hyades Sector DB-X d1-112 planet 1 inner ring hotspot, you will soon fill up that T6 with 64T plus 6T in the refiner if you fill the refiner as well as the cargo hold, which will get you 20 mil per trip, and you will soon have the 100 mil for a Python like this, which will get you 57 mil per trip:

^^^^^^ WOT THEY SAID ^^^^^^

It is not apparent to the new commander* but the allocation of "pips" to weapons is an allocation of energy capacity to the weaponry cooling equipment - not an allocation of energy to the actual weapon "firing".

* It is on page 15 of the manual but, hey, who reads manuals, right?

View attachment 305818
Now I'll actually have to read that. I'm ashamed as an engineer.

A T6 is a good starter ship to use for mining, but you must include a 3A power distributor to get the power to the lasers, then you must put 4 pips to weapons while you mine. The PD can provide 2.8MW, but the lasers take 3MW, so your capacitor will slowly empty. When it empties, your heat will go right up, so you must pause the lasers when the capacitor gets low to give it a chanve to fill up again, or you can mine in bursts, and give the limpets a chance to catch up. Recommended build for no engineers:

If you mine platinum in Hyades Sector DB-X d1-112 planet 1 inner ring hotspot, you will soon fill up that T6 with 64T plus 6T in the refiner if you fill the refiner as well as the cargo hold, which will get you 20 mil per trip, and you will soon have the 100 mil for a Python like this, which will get you 57 mil per trip:
I'd note that nowadays you should probably use a mining multi-controller in place of that size 3 collector, for four limpets gathering instead of two.

The mining controller also makes a Keelback miner much more reasonable, if you want some medium hardpoints for faster mining or to bring core blasting charges.

I'd note that nowadays you should probably use a mining multi-controller in place of that size 3 collector, for four limpets gathering instead of two.

The mining controller also makes a Keelback miner much more reasonable, if you want some medium hardpoints for faster mining or to bring core blasting charges.
You're right. I was going to mention the new modified mining lasers too, which require an unlock. I forgot that you can get the multi-limpet controller at any mining outfitter without an unlock. Mind you, I don't think it will make a massive difference on either ship: 7% faster on the Python and I'm not sure on the T6 because the two class 1 lasers don't mine very fast, but still worth getting if you can.

What? Oh my. I had not heard of those. - Oh only class 1 - never mind.
They're brilliant and essential for any serious miner. They run on half power as a normal class 1, but do the same damage, so you can have 7 lasers on a Cutter, including three normal class 2s, so you get the equivalent of 5 class 2s for the same power and distributor draw as a 4. The same principle applies to the Python. Using the new limpet controller gets you 2 extra collectors. Between the two, you reduce the time to fill your ship by about 15% to 20%.

They're brilliant and essential for any serious miner. They run on half power as a normal class 1, but do the same damage, so you can have 7 lasers on a Cutter, including three normal class 2s, so you get the equivalent of 5 class 2s for the same power and distributor draw as a 4. The same principle applies to the Python. Using the new limpet controller gets you 2 extra collectors. Between the two, you reduce the time to fill your ship by about 15% to 20%.
So OP was talking about mining in a T6, and in that case the distributor (if A rated) is fairly well matched to running two small mining lasers. But if they were using a Keelback instead, the enhanced lasers are the difference between still running two small lasers, vs being able to usefully field a medium AND two smalls. At which point they definitely would benefit further from the extra two collector limpets.

So OP was talking about mining in a T6, and in that case the distributor (if A rated) is fairly well matched to running two small mining lasers. But if they were using a Keelback instead, the enhanced lasers are the difference between still running two small lasers, vs being able to usefully field a medium AND two smalls. At which point they definitely would benefit further from the extra two collector limpets.
Two standard class one lasers still empty the capacitor and overheat the ship if you don't pause mining. The new lasers only use half the power, so you can mine continuously. There is no downside to the new ones, so they'd always be my locical choice.

There is no downside to the new ones, so they'd always be my locical choice.
Well the downside for a player new enough to still be in a T6 other than by choice, is the not inconsiderable materials cost to buy one. Including osmium, which means you have to do at least some mining with regular lasers first. Two normal small mining lasers can run for over a minute off a full unmodded 3A distro with all pips to WEP. That's plenty long enough to deplete a rock, so it's not a terrible starting point. And honestly, if I was advising a new player where to spend their early material gathering effort, I'd recommend unlocking Mr. Dweller and spending the much more modest amount of materials to craft a G3 charge enhanced distributor, before gathering the pile of stuff needed for the modded lasers.

Well the downside for a player new enough to still be in a T6 other than by choice, is the not inconsiderable materials cost to buy one. Including osmium, which means you have to do at least some mining with regular lasers first. Two normal small mining lasers can run for over a minute off a full unmodded 3A distro with all pips to WEP. That's plenty long enough to deplete a rock, so it's not a terrible starting point. And honestly, if I was advising a new player where to spend their early material gathering effort, I'd recommend unlocking Mr. Dweller and spending the much more modest amount of materials to craft a G3 charge enhanced distributor, before gathering the pile of stuff needed for the modded lasers.

Read what I wrote: "I'm not sure on the T6 because the two class 1 lasers don't mine very fast, but still worth getting if you can." I recommended the new laers as "essential for any serious miner".

There is loads of Osmium in the location I suggested OP should go to as well as platinum, and you get arsenic, rhenium and phosphorus too. After a few trips in the T6 to get the money for a Python, OP should have all the materials to get at least one of the new lasers, then the others after a few trips in the Python.

Why are you trying to find fault with these lasers?

Why are you trying to find fault with these lasers?
Oh, I'm not. The modded lasers are terrific! I think we're just talking past each other here - you're theorycrafting about mining, and I'm theorycrafting about progression, both trying to meet in the somewhat artificial middle of "mining in a T6". My thinking was, if OP is just looking to do "a bit of mining" to make credits to buy something larger than a T6, they can probably do that with stock gear faster than they could gather the materials for a pair of modified lasers. But if they're looking to make mining a longer term addition to their suite of activities, then yes they are a great investment that will continue paying dividends long after they've moved to larger more efficient ships.

Top Bottom