Mirrored Surface

Hello all!

I’ve recently started exploring and wondered if it’s worth using the mirrored surface as a way of reducing heat build up when scooping and contralto flying close to stars etc.....

Does this make any sense? Or is it a case of keep as light as possible for jump range?

Cheers

Different sort of heat(if that makes sense) It's better to go with the standard hull(lightweight) and then lightweight modify it. It wont get any lighter, but it will become stronger if that makes sense.

Ok - that sort of makes sense.... I guess I was trying too find a use for the mirrored surface. Is there one?
I’m sensing that a lot of people use modified reactive for PVP.

I think mirrored made some sense pre-engineers.
But now you can just thermal mod reactive armor and have strong resistances across the board.

Would be cool if they somehow brought a need for things like this back into the fold. But I don't see how with how engineering works. :(
Maybe change it up completely so that mirrored has some resistances to thargoid tech?? i dunno.

i used to paint my explorer ships white and my smuggler ships black, but i dont think it made one bit of difference.

Except in my head. :)

Yes - I’ve always played ED post the engineers coming into the game so I’ve never known any difference.
Thargoid resist sound good for future - or maybe they could help heat build up when flying close to stars :)

or maybe they could help heat build up when flying close to stars :)
Yeah, that would be kinda cool, but only if they reduced the weight of it. I don't think too many explorers would want to take the jump range hit just to run cooler around stars.
The best thing for 'cool scooping' is a low emissions powerplant.
Put one of them on a DBX, and you'll never overheat. :)

Ok - that sort of makes sense.... I guess I was trying too find a use for the mirrored surface. Is there one?
I’m sensing that a lot of people use modified reactive for PVP.

Is there one??? Really? What are you nuts!? ;)

Why what ever could you be thinking? A mirrored surface reflecting light energy and infra-red energy back into space and thus reducing external source heat absorption by a ship? (well - except for lasers of course - lasers are spehhhcial)

What are you a physicist or something? Blasphemy, blaphemy I say! Science - schmience. This is the 34th century. We don't need no stinkin' SCIENCE.

NOTE: for the sarcasticly challenged - the above is sarcasm.

Last edited:
Different sort of heat(if that makes sense) It's better to go with the standard hull(lightweight) and then lightweight modify it. It wont get any lighter, but it will become stronger if that makes sense.

In my opinion, that's bad advice. It's true that lightweight armor increases your resistances, but for an exploration vessel, your main threat is crashing into a planet, and resistances don't help with that (as far as I know).

Go with lightweight armor and the heavy duty engineer mod instead. That gives you a hull boost (more hull damage points). It still doesn't add any weight (when used on lightweight hull), so it's fine for an explorer.

They could change mirrored to actually reflect some thermal damage from lasers back at the attacker.

Other than that, I can't see them being equipped on one of my ships over reactive.

I just noticed recently that if you modify the standard light hull for "heavy duty", it also doesn't increase its weight! The changes are different though: extra hull boost rather than resistances. I'm still trying to decide which is better for various roles.

I just noticed recently that if you modify the standard light hull for "heavy duty", it also doesn't increase its weight! The changes are different though: extra hull boost rather than resistances. I'm still trying to decide which is better for various roles.

There's a simple way of identifying this when applied to default bulkheads.

Is the role you are using the ship for a role?

If so, use heavy duty.

There's a simple way of identifying this when applied to default bulkheads.

Is the role you are using the ship for a role?

If so, use heavy duty.

OK, that sorts it out. :)

I think the materials for heavy duty are slightly easier to get too.

OK, that sorts it out. :)

I think the materials for heavy duty are slightly easier to get too.

Core Dynamics Composites - High Grade Emissions USS in FEDERATION system in state of NONE (Inara says BOOM state, this is WRONG!) with over 80m population (to make more USS spawns). Fly straight up or down from the entry point about 1500ls, make sure you're in deep space, set 50% throttle and meander around looking out for HGE USS.
Compound Shielding - Everyday combat gives you plenty of these, but they are also common in degraded signal sources, encoded signal sources and combat aftermath signal sources.
Tungsten - Planetary prospecting and by far the most difficult of these mats to farm. Go to Deciat 1, and land in a big crater, near the edge of the crater or near the central mountain if there is one, follow the clicks, ignore Bronzite Chondrites (blow them up anyway to get them off the scanner, but you won't find any tungsten in those).

I have over 14 Hull reinforcement packages that I regularly reroll for better resistances, so I'm very familiar with this particular search (Heavy Duty recipe is the same for HRPs and for bulkheads). :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom