Misjumps in ED?

Has anyone manged to miss jump in Elite Dangerous other than Hyperdictions?

I understand the new fsd tech is supposedly more reliable than older drives, but I am wondering if misjumps can happen at all.

The closest to misjump I’ve ever gotten was a simple failure of the FSD to engage when my FSD was damaged. Rather than jumping it just went into a new cool down cycle.

I've never heard of such happening to a player in ED.

If I had to guess, it isn't possible. Based on some of the 1000 word tirades I've seen on these forums, I imagine FDev don't want to be buried in salt from lost explorers.

I've never heard of such happening to a player in ED.

If I had to guess, it isn't possible. Based on some of the 1000 word tirades I've seen on these forums, I imagine FDev don't want to be buried in salt from lost explorers.

Oh but it would be glorious salt though!

Not sure of a misjump... but I always wondered what it may be like to have an oh-crap hyper jump emergency button. Hyperjump basically anywhere, and get seriously beaten up for it to. Not sure what use it'll have though.. I can see it breaking jamjar PvP however :(

A misjump followed by the FSD breaking completely, leaving you completely stranded. I used to love when that happened in Elite 2. Especially when you forgot to save for an hour.

Not sure of a misjump... but I always wondered what it may be like to have an oh-crap hyper jump emergency button. Hyperjump basically anywhere, and get seriously beaten up for it to. Not sure what use it'll have though.. I can see it breaking jamjar PvP however :(

"We made a blind jump, how did they-"

Or even better: everytime you do hyperjump theres 0,05% chance a daemonic invasion occuring on your ship.

This chance increases with increased range modification *evil laughter*

It does seem odd that you can't reach interstellar space without help from the Thargoids.

Theoretically I suppose you could have a situation where only a hyperdiction halfway between two specific systems will put you barely in range of a third system way off to the side of your route...

I'd love there to be small but significant chances of failure in many modules. Parts wear, components fail, things break. Complex things break more often. A one in a thousand chance of a misjump dropping you somewhere other than where you aimed would be fun. It doesn't have to be far - even a few tens of Ly would be engaging

It would give a reason for the all the unusual wake data we keep scanning!

Has anyone manged to miss jump in Elite Dangerous other than Hyperdictions?

I understand the new fsd tech is supposedly more reliable than older drives, but I am wondering if misjumps can happen at all.

Nope, this mechanic was completely designed out of ED, from previous research into this topic. Spin cc all you like, it won't cause a misjump.

I've dropped out of witchspace way off course when there are multiple suns for some reason, is that a misjump?

I've dropped out of witchspace way off course when there are multiple suns for some reason, is that a misjump?

Technically, that's the new Prevention of Insta-Death-by-Contact-Binary-Star safety protocols kicking in (they're not very good at telling whether a destination star is a "contact binary" or not) rather than a mis-jump, but yes, getting dumped exactly halfway between two binary stars that are 600,000 Ls apart is the closest thing we get to a "mis-jump" these days. That used to happen to me a lot if I got a matchmaker server error when jumping into a new star system. Haven't seen it since upgrading to a newer, faster PC.

Back in pre-Horizons days, there was a kind of "mis-jump" that used to happen if someone attempted to interdict you while you were jumping - both you and the attacker would be slammed into the target star in your destination star system, suffering damage. Apparently, this was an intended bug, rather than a feature, so it was programmed away - now, commencement of hyperjump automatically breaks any interdiction.

But other than these examples, and Thargoids of course, the FSD is 100% reliable. There was talk back in the development stage of there being "dark systems" (rouge planets, uncharted mini-black-holes, etc) being placed on the galaxy map and if your route happened to pass near a dark system, the dark system would cause a mis-jump and you'd find yourself unexpectedly dropping out in the dark system. They decided not to implement this, though the "dark systems" are apparently still programmed into the galaxy map, awaiting some means of discovering them.

In the original game you could force a misjump by extreme pitch/roll when the jump initiated. Never tried it in ED now that I think about it.

Unfortunately the carebares have force frontier from doing a lot of cool stuff in elite dangerous. Miss jumps is one of them. The code there in the game and dark objects are simulated.

Something like that would actually be quite cool to have though, as well as giving Wake Scanners a reason to exist beyond farming data for engineers. Make it so that regular hyperjumps are affected by masslock, but ships have the option of forcing an unfocused jump into deep space as an emergency escape. Deep space wouldn't be particularly interesting, and such a jump would cause damage to internals similar to crashing into a gravity well or forcing yourself back into realspace, but it would give a decent escape method for those that do not wish to fight (as well as preventing the current submit -> Hiwake strategy that is currently almost unbeatable).

i'm not sure it's carebears that limit what Fdev has decided to implement when it comes to misjumps. I think it's a lack of meaningful content / gameplay surrounding it. Unless they figure out how to make traveling in the game an actually fun part of the game and a game mechanic in itself instead of a means to an end, then anything they do to add to the time it takes to travel is going to be seen as nothing more than a time-barrier that adds to the tediousness and non-fun time spent in the game.

When travel becomes more than just a loading screen, then you might see some fun "detours" actually get implemented. Until then, any detour that extends your time traveling is going to be interesting the 1st or second time and then after that it'll be a nuisance that will be demanded elimination or easy circumvention.

Blacking/redding out is another feature waiting for game changes first. Once large ships are correctly balanced in the game to small ships, they can activate that simulated experience....but as long as big ships have to be able to dogfight like a tiny one, it can't be turned on.

Unfortunately the carebares have force frontier from doing a lot of cool stuff in elite dangerous. Miss jumps is one of them. The code there in the game and dark objects are simulated.

It doesn't matter what pseudo-derogatory term you use to describe people you dont agree with, Frontier have not been 'forced' to do anything they haven't wanted to.

Top Bottom