Mission board soft-lock still not fixed

The mission board still soft-locks when a mission is selected and the mission giver is off-screen:

I've reported this in the initial 'notice' thread, the PC subforum and the 'September Update - Patch 2'-thread. None of these have received an official acknowledgement despite at least one user being able to reproduce it. Again, it would be really nice if people could see if they can reproduce this and report back - either in this thread or any of the other threads.

As far as I can tell the soft-lock is not fixed and Frontier are either unaware or actively denying that the bug still exist. An official reply regarding this would be appreciated.

Will try this out tonight, should be simple to reproduce given my typical play style and before I start on my circumnavigation project.
Thanks, I appreciate it. Keep in mind that you need to scroll down far enough on the board that the mission giver isn't visible at all. As long as he/she is even partly on screen the misison board works fine.

Open and close panel 4 cleared it for me.
Entering the engineers screen is what fixes it for me. So strictly speaking it's not a total soft-lock, but iirc that was true for the initial bug as well.

Entering the engineers screen is what fixes it for me. So strictly speaking it's not a total soft-lock, but iirc that was true for the initial bug as well.
Yep I only had it the once pre-patch, not had it since however I've gone exploring since then.

Full disclosure--I think this particular soft lock has been in the game a while, because I'm pretty sure I rarely would soft lock on the mission board (going back more than a year) but never realized what caused it. Entering the engineering screen always cleared it for me as well.

I only ever encountered this after the patch that introduced the initial soft-lock and I don't remember the board ever locking up before (apart from server issues / mission not being retrieved). I might be wrong, but afaik this didn't happen before the september patch.

The mission board still soft-locks when a mission is selected and the mission giver is off-screen:

I've reported this in the initial 'notice' thread, the PC subforum and the 'September Update - Patch 2'-thread. None of these have received an official acknowledgement despite at least one user being able to reproduce it. Again, it would be really nice if people could see if they can reproduce this and report back - either in this thread or any of the other threads.

As far as I can tell the soft-lock is not fixed and Frontier are either unaware or actively denying that the bug still exist. An official reply regarding this would be appreciated.
Ah, this seems to be a variant of the original bug where you just had to scroll down the mission list to the bottom to trigger this bug.
But this one was new to me and I can confirm it now. The effects are slightly different compared to the original one. After that, the left hand panel with the mission givers keeps being darkened. It's not the sort of softlock we had before but renders the missions inaccessible. Whenever this bug is triggered I can't take the selected mission.
I can only reproduce this effect with the last mission giver on the bottom, not with the second last, even though I can push him out of view as well.

Last edited:
I was picking up a lot of missions last night from a station with a lot of factions and I never had an issue. I was even trying to do missions for the bottom faction, as they're the one my rep is lowest with. Curious as to what the trigger for it is that I've somehow avoided.

I was picking up a lot of missions last night from a station with a lot of factions and I never had an issue. I was even trying to do missions for the bottom faction, as they're the one my rep is lowest with. Curious as to what the trigger for it is that I've somehow avoided.
Not sure if you did read this part carefully enough: it's not just about choosing the bottom mission giver, this one has to be scrolled out of view as well. Depending how long the list of mission givers is, it could be only two or maybe three from the bottom up, but to trigger this effect it has be the last one on the bottom scrolled out of view, then going back to the mission pane and select a mission that belongs to the now non-visible mission giver. Since that's certainly not an everyday situation, it's understandable why it's so relative rare now and why to some, due to their habits, it will never happen.

But this long-winded attempt to explain the required conditions demonstrates how tricky it can be at times to file a useful bug report about something that technically might be trivial. In this case I wouldn't wonder if the fix turns out to be easier than its description.

Last edited:
Not sure if you did read this part carefully enough: it's not just about choosing the bottom mission giver, this one has to be scrolled out of view as well. Depending how long the list of mission givers is, it could be only two or maybe three from the bottom up, but to trigger this effect it has be the last one on the bottom scrolled out of view, then going back to the mission pane and select a mission that belongs to the now non-visible mission giver. Since that's certainly not an everyday situation, it's understandable why it's so relative rare now and why to some, due to their habits, it will never happen.
As I said, I was at a station with a lot of mission givers, so there was a lot of scrolling. I figured I would run into it at some point, with the way I was grabbing up assassination missions - but I didn't exactly log my mission-grabbing approach.

What it seems to be is scrolling the mission givers independently, and then going back to the missions on the right. Which, for me, happens far less frequently I guess, since I use an Xbox controller most of the time. Or maybe the method of handling inputs on the controller prevents the issue from happening altogether (since it moves between panels directly, instead of freely like the mouse can)

Will try this out tonight, should be simple to reproduce given my typical play style and before I start on my circumnavigation project.
Careful, I doubt it's triggered by any 'typical' behavior. Usually I'd assume we swap directly from the mission giver to his missions, without scrolling the mission giver out of view at first. Why should we do that at all? But since it can happen it will happen and therefore needs to be fixed. As soon as possible, because it's one of those nasty but trivial bugs that at the same time aren't easy to describe. That they appear relative seldom doesn't make them easier to nail down.

Or maybe the method of handling inputs on the controller prevents the issue from happening altogether (since it moves between panels directly, instead of freely like the mouse can)
I also believe it has a lot to do with our prefered input method. I'm using a gamepad most of the time (technically just a keyboard) but also can use a mouse. I never had issues when using the mouse, same goes for the former incarnation of this bug.

Last edited:
Some good points made--I swap between the mouse and my hotas when interacting with station menus, and I'd be curious if the issue manifests itself with one vs. the other. My bet is the hotas is free from it, but often I switch to the mouse since it's faster to use. Heck, I even use the mouse in VR for that very purpose.

I just did the same trick with the mouse and it triggers this bug as well. It's just that with the mouse you usually don't (accidentally?) scroll the mission giver out of view before taking one of his missions.[*] Navigating with keyboard is much faster and slips can happen easier here. But at the end it's very easy to reproduce this bug once you know its conditions. Works all the time and I suppose with each controller.

I'm aware my English isn't up to par and my drivel possibly hard to follow. If no one will be able to get what I mean I'll try to upload a video to demonstrate this effect.

[*] and if you take into account that it has to be the last mission giver on the bottom you can imagine how rare this bug effectively is.

But check it out, I'm sure everyone (on PC at least) should easily be able to reproduce this bug, regardless of the controller type in use - once you understand its conditions.

Last edited:
I'm uploading the mouse version now. But shockingly, my first attempt was negative (not in the video)! Which indicates a random aspect of this bug and not as reliable as I initially thought. <shudder>

Source: https://youtu.be/pFyX488txpo

At the end of the video I try to click at a few missions but get no response. Silently, so not all too informative. But the video is meant to give you an idea of how to reproduce this bug. These are the kind of bugs that I hate with compassion, so much that I feel a strong urge to kill them for ever, even if it means to waste a few hours of my lifetime. These sneaky bloody buggers...

p.s. very kind of you dragoniv :) it's just not enough to explain abstract things like that...

Last edited:
As a side note, this bug can never occur in a system with only 4 MFs: You can't push the mission giver on the bottom (or any other) out of view in this case! You also can't grab the scroll bar in this case, which might be another minor bug as the scrollbar still moves if you directly activate one of the mission givers. Yet another inconsistency at best...

Something seems amiss

I just did a Slaves Smuggling Mission and when I got to destination there was only one reward available out of the 3 that showed when I took the mission. Unfortunately it was for 1 Focused Crystal which I was already full of and I had to abandon the mission and dump the slaves on the Black Mkt.

Top Bottom