News Mission Board Stress Testing - 2.4 beta

All good here, but I was wondering if something could be done about making it more clear if a mission has sparked a follow on. Even with just a single follow on, it was terribly difficult to find them. With multiple follow ons it could become near impossible. Perhaps an inbox message when you enter a system with a Faction that has a follow-on for you.....or something like that.

Thank you in advance :).

Did some stacking missions in this beta but no real problems.
Ergo not one interdiction witch is rare comparing to the normal game missions.

Hello. I'd like ask you for something.
• Ship kills, and actions to complete planetary hack and disable missions will now only contribute to a single mission, this will be the earliest mission accepted

It means for example scan job missions or war/conflict zone missions can't be stacked more than 3 times ( previous patch) AND now can't be together completed (current patch). What does it mean? Who will be interested about those missions then? If someone likes earning credits via combat it's ok, but no one will want do few missions for ten hours because for example destroying 100 enemies costs about one or one and half hour in wing....Meanwhile now we have a lot of missions and for example in boom state those trading mission can be stacked more than 3 times and without punishment. And they can be completed pretty quickly... I can understand this unwanted issue about missions progression but please if do you want this, so then for all.... (i don't want Elite: Traderoute instead of Elite: Dangerous)

Last edited:
Is it just me or are there a lot of courier based missions in the beta? Finding the risk v reward for missions poorly balanced. One faction had 8 missions for courier delivery of £2.78m each, all to the same destination, whilst an illegal salvage operation mission was £287k. I tried the 8 courier missions, all ranked elite and wasn't even bothered. Its too easy to take the 8 courier missions and earn £22m. There would have been much more work involved in the salvage mission for almost 10% of the money. Makes no sense.

It doesn't just apply to the money either, the rep points and influence point are also unbalanced.

The whole mission system needs to reward the player based upon:
Risk involved - being caught, being hunted, etc
The challenge involved (another topic! it's too easy, no matter the mission);
Distance to the destination;
Type of mission;

General comments
The missions net needs casting wider - most missions are within a 50ly radius. Don't people trade beyond their local area in the 34th century?
The missions could be two way rather than one way - eg - delivery these materials here and collect these ones and bring them back.
Why are passenger mission separate from the rest? Why not combine them to one board. If you don't have passenger modules installed, then they won't be available.
Exploration missions could be quite interesting - there are some in passenger, but there could be solo ones as well.

The whole thing, whilst slowly improving, is still too static. The missions should be dynamic and meaningful.

Been running a few missions to test out the changes. For me, the board is loading very fast, and there are lots of missions available (10-20 per faction, usually). This is awesome. It gives you a much wider selection, and allows interesting ways of combining missions (like finding missions going to the same system, for efficiency). I like it very much.

I got one follow-on mission, but it didn't chain to another. It acted just like the old follow on missions (just one chained mission with some flavor text).

Payouts seem a bit higher than in Live, which is good. There are way too many missions in Live that just aren't worth doing because of the abysmal payouts. (Yes I saw the dev post that this is unintended, but I think it should stay).

My first impression of the improvements is very positive.

As a result of this you will find you’re able to accept a significantly larger number of missions are offered to you than usual. This is all part of stress testing the system, and will most likely not be indicative of what will be available on the mission board at launch.
This makes me sad, as it's one of the best improvements and I was really excited about it. Having more missions available simply removes the tedious and annoying mechanic of relogging to get a new board. Please consider keeping a larger number of available missions to pick from (with greater variety). It'll make for a better game play experience.

The testing will help reduce the number of Commanders with partially completed mission boards, the ultimate aim is to have larger mission boards with a higher variety of missions available for 2.4.
Oh, ok, so perhaps we'll see improvements anyway. Looking forward to see what we end up with. The more the better! There's nothing worse than having totally or almost empty boards. 10+ missions per faction is great - especially since you often want to work just with a single faction (BGS and ranking for example).

Last edited:
• Add distance from starsystem entry to mission destinations
Is this true for skimmer kill missions?

I saw the distance for some data delivery missions but on this skimmer kill it gives the target settlement and no distance.
witH3TH.png

8p4tUB6.png

Hi there,

In the event that you've received a very low number of missions for the board but you were meant to get a lot more, we'd prefer you knew and could retry.

Again, the aim here is to find a number where the number of people receiving the message at all is low, whilst also providing a better experience overall.

Thanks,
Dom
That seems reasonable, however, it would be nice to have a wait/retry button to try downloading the missions which didn't make it, which sends a msg to the server indicating which missions were received and waits an additional 15-30 seconds for the missions which didn't make it the first time.

Personally, I'd like to have a lot of mission options, even if it means waiting a bit longer.

Last edited:
Mission board UI clunky.

Now that we can have a large number of missions from a single factions, I think the UI has become very user unfriendly.
1. You can only see 5 missions at a time.
2. There is no order to the missions (that I can see).
3. There is no filters or sorting within the faction. I'd like for example to be able to order by type and distance.

Reducing the size that each mission takes up would be a start. Smaller font, single line perhaps is needed.

I love this change, where it shows you the distance to the starport from the entry star in the mission description. Saves you having to keep manually checking via the galaxy map. A small but VERY useful change.

(I assume this is new in 2.4 - I've been out exploring for a while, so cannot remember if it was already there!)

ILaOq21.png

I like the new mission board because station missions and planet missions are now separated.
Sometimes I hate doing planet related missions because there is mostly more time involved.

1. You can only see 5 missions at a time.
2. There is no order to the missions (that I can see).
3. There is no filters or sorting within the faction. I'd like for example to be able to order by type and distance.

Disagree with this because missions posted on a first come first served basis (apparently randomly) is more human, and pre-sorting would be next-level handholding, really.

Also liking the distance to port feature, there's a thread started here with a few ideas about the formatting, which I happen to agree looks a little clunky.

(Personally) BETANCOURT ENTERPRISES [OUTPOST] [13,333.26 LS] would be enough info, imo.

ILaOq21.png

Last edited:
Are there going to be search and rescue missions?

Am I wrong in the assumption that the new search & rescue feature is just to hand in things I have found, like escape pods etc.

I haven't seen any search & rescue missions on the boards yet.

Anyone else had them ?

So far the boards have populated fast and smoothly.

On a personal level I would like to see mining removed from the transport filter and given It's own entry, but more importantly put the filter before the mission population takes place so that only the mission types I am looking for make it to the board, else It's still going to be more mode switching until I get what I need.

I just took close to 20 data courier missions from various factions at Wescott Station in Zarece which were all addressed to either of two outposts in Kamcabi.

It's nice that those were not even close to half the mission board at the station in Zarece, and every transaction in accepting and handing in was smooth. So that worked quite fine.

But it's a bit disconcerting that every single obtainable courier mission on that board was addressed to those two stations. There would have been other possible destinations a bit further away. If the number of available missions is increased, having in a bit more variety within one class of mission would IMAO be a good thing.

Disagree with this because missions posted on a first come first served basis (apparently randomly) is more human, and pre-sorting would be next-level handholding, really.

ah, come one
that "handholding" is a borderline stupid argument.

i don't know what kind of "human" you are,
but i am a human of the the 21st century, and i am used to click on column titles of lists to sort them as i want them.

Hello. I'd like ask you for something.
• Ship kills, and actions to complete planetary hack and disable missions will now only contribute to a single mission, this will be the earliest mission accepted

It means for example scan job missions or war/conflict zone missions can't be stacked more than 3 times ( previous patch) AND now can't be together completed (current patch). What does it mean? Who will be interested about those missions then? If someone likes earning credits via combat it's ok, but no one will want do few missions for ten hours because for example destroying 100 enemies costs about one or one and half hour in wing....Meanwhile now we have a lot of missions and for example in boom state those trading mission can be stacked more than 3 times and without punishment. And they can be completed pretty quickly... I can understand this unwanted issue about missions progression but please if do you want this, so then for all.... (i don't want Elite: Traderoute instead of Elite: Dangerous)

I read that as you can no longer count the same action multiple times. For example, if you take a job to kill 3 ships, and another job to kill 3 ships with the same requirements, then you need 6 kills to satisfy both jobs; further that the first job taken will get kill 1, 2, & 3; and 4, 5, & 6 will go to the second job.

I guess there was a bug where kills or actions were being counted for multiple concurrent missions.

Top Bottom