News Mission Board Stress Testing - 2.4 beta

Zac Antonaci

Head of Communications
Frontier
Greetings Commanders,

As part of 2.4 we’ve improved missions in a few ways, including upping the variety and selection of missions on the mission board. You can see the full changelog here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ed-Beta-available-to-download-now-(changelog) (look under Missions to see all the changes that have been made)

During the beta we will be stress testing the mission board system, specifically looking at how many missions we can populate the missions board with. We’ll be looking to find the optimal number of missions for both gameplay and performance.

As a result of this you will find you’re able to accept a significantly larger number of missions are offered to you than usual. This is all part of stress testing the system, and will most likely not be indicative of what will be available on the mission board at launch.

Previously the mission board was sent from the mission server as one single message, meaning that some mission boards simply wouldn’t be populated if the message wasn’t fully received by the client within a period of time. In 2.4 each mission is sent to the board individually, meaning it is able to populate one by one even if the complete list cannot be downloaded. If the list is fully received as intended then it will be displayed on the board immediately. If this is not the case, and it takes longer than 30 seconds, it will let you know a partial list has been received and you’ll see that displayed on the mission board. This is the reason we want to stress test and find the optimal number. The testing will help reduce the number of Commanders with partially completed mission boards, the ultimate aim is to have larger mission boards with a higher variety of missions available for 2.4.

God, it feels so good to see so many missions on the mission board. Thank you missions team for trying to address this. o7

Works fine on my end, no error messages or lags when opening the board. Hope to see these numbers of missions in 2.4 release!

Really, the main reason people use relogs is bad mission spawn. Give them more missions, and give them better missions!

Loaded the Beta up and BOOM! Lots of missions in no time at all. In keeping with it being an Agricultural economy, lots of fruit and veg, grain and algae deliveries. Hmmm lovely algae..... *drools*

Last edited:
Assuming the point of this fix from Zac's explanation is to prevent the situation where I'd land at a station or planetary base where three factions out of seven are in boom and see a completely empty board, presumably due to the situation mentioned where the whole message wasn't received before a timeout, as well as to hopefully deliver a greater amount of choice for missions in general, God I hope testing it goes well. Big thumbs up from me for recognising just how infuriating that was and doing something to fix it.

@Zac Why don't you simply leave out the missions that were not received correctly? The user can't know what missions should be there, so who cares? Error messages always throw you out of the immersion.

Reset save so new commander. Offered courier missions for 679 872, 682 368 & 692 000Cr, All Elite ranked, for a one jump trip.
Cannot got live for a new commander as it is now!

Dominic Corner

Mostly Harmless Programmer
Frontier
@Zac Why don't you simply leave out the missions that were not received correctly? The user can't know what missions should be there, so who cares? Error messages always throw you out of the immersion.

Hi there,

In the event that you've received a very low number of missions for the board but you were meant to get a lot more, we'd prefer you knew and could retry.

Again, the aim here is to find a number where the number of people receiving the message at all is low, whilst also providing a better experience overall.

Thanks,
Dom

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
Well, so far the mission board seems to be a LOT faster and snappy than in 2.3. Not sure if this is related to load or beta, but it looks good.

Looked good in the Sol bubble. Just dropped in to Hillary Depot in Blu Thua AI-A c14-10 and the mission and passenger boards are completely blank 0/0 for both factions, though. Is that intended or just because there's really not many missions an isolated system in the middle of nowhere can generate?

(I'm trying to get back to Colonia because I'm more familiar with missions there to compare with, but that's going to be a long trip...)

The missions seems to be quiet good. Get a lot of missions (13-25 each minor faction). Payouts also seems so be now a bit better on the Beta start Station.

2 hours ago i found a Mission, which payout was incredible high.
Sadly i couldn´t did it.

tG3LDTjh.jpg

I don´t think, that anybody can beat this :'D

Last edited:
When minor faction X is generating missions, every other system in which that faction is present should be a target for their missions. That way players who are dedicating themselves to a faction's cause, will naturally find themselves touring that faction's occupied systems.

Hi there,

Don't worry, this is bugged currently and the fix will be applied before we go live... enjoy the easy beta credits :)

Thanks,
Dom

Please do not apply this fix for beta, at least not until the very last beta patch :)

Actually, make this bug a beta-only feature, like 10% prices or fish for engineers (where is it, BTW???). If you expect people to die a lot, give them a way to get some quick money for all the rebuys. Especially if they use their old engineered ships (any ship you bought before save transfer will retain its full rebuy cost).

The missions seems to be quiet good. Get a lot of missions (13-25 each minor faction). Payouts also seems so be now a bit better on the Beta start Station.

2 hours ago i found a Mission, which payout was incredible high.
Sadly i couldn´t did it.

http://i.imgur.com/tG3LDTjh.jpg

I don´t think, that anybody can beat this :'D

two things about your screenshot
1. i got remembered again why i avoid playing the localised german version. "herzlich" and "Schmuggelschnaps" ... lol
2. @Dominic Corner - why can't we have the mission rank displayed in the list already?

_trent_

Volunteer Moderator
I really like the increased number of missions per faction. Seemed to take the usual length of time to start up and I didn't have any problems loading it.

The payouts... well what can I say. :D

Top Bottom