Mission influence effects on other systems

Hi there,

I've been trying to bring about a regime change in my chosen system for a few months now, learning as I go along. I have noticed that if a faction gets into a war in one system, it brings about a general drop in that faction's influence across all the systems in which the faction is present, even if the faction is winning, or goes on to win the war.

It got me thinking that I may have been misunderstanding influence changes all along: if I complete a mission in one system, and choose the influence reward, does it boost the faction's influence in that system only or in all of the faction's systems?

There could be a very short answer to this...

Thanks for the help!

Ax

Well, two things are happening.

First, 3.0 brought back the effects of Missions changing the influence and reputation of the destination as well as the origin. So as you pick up missions, where you deliver them to will be effected as well.

Second, Wars and Civil Wars locks out the influence changes from most actions including Missions, Trade and Exploration. The drop in influence you see is a result of how other systems are prevented from gaining ground under those conflict states.
The only way influence is increased during Wars and Civil Wars are by using Bounties for the faction, or Bonds in the system in conflict.

The result may be that you were picking up missions from the faction in conflict, but handing it to other groups in the system that were not, resulting in them gaining ground and the faction in conflict loosing in other systems.

It got me thinking that I may have been misunderstanding influence changes all along: if I complete a mission in one system, and choose the influence reward, does it boost the faction's influence in that system only or in all of the faction's systems?
The mission should indicate which system-faction combinations are getting the influence.

Thank you, both.

So, if a faction is not in conflict and I do a mission for them, it will only affect their influence in the origin and destination systems? Is that right?

And, if a faction is in conflict, it prevents influence gain from anything other than bounties/bonds in ALL systems?

Thanks again.

So, if a faction is not in conflict and I do a mission for them, it will only affect their influence in the origin and destination systems? Is that right?

No.

Most missions have source and target factions, the source being the faction that gave you the mission and the target being the faction you will deliver goods to or to whom the pirate you will blow up belongs. The target faction is usually, but not always, displayed on the mission briefing. Both factions are always displayed on the mission results screen as are the influence change and state effects of the mission.

Assuming no one is in War / Civil War... If you take a delivery from source faction 1 in system A to target faction 2 in system B then influence will increase for both faction 1 in system A and faction 2 in system B. If faction 1 is also in system B then they will lose influence there because faction 2 gained.

If faction 1 is in War / Civil War... If you take a delivery from source faction 1 in system A to target faction 2 in system B then influence will increase for faction 2 in system B. If faction 1 is also in system B then they will lose influence there because faction 2 gained. Faction 1 will not gain influence anywhere because of the war.

If faction 2 is in War / Civil War... If you take a delivery from source faction 1 in system A to target faction 2 in system B then influence will increase for faction 1 in system A. Faction 2 will not gain influence anywhere because of the war.

If both factions are in War / Civil War then no one gains any influence from any missions you run involving those factions.

There are missions that increase or decrease the influence of the target faction and missions that do nothing to their influence but just affect their state buckets.

And, if a faction is in conflict, it prevents influence gain from anything other than bounties/bonds in ALL systems?

You need a definition of the term conflict as it relates to the BGS. Conflict refers to any of the three states where you 'fight' another faction directly - War / Civil War / Election.

War / Civil War - only combat actions provide influence (not missions, trade, cart data, etc)

Election - only non-combat actions provide influence (not bounties)

These effects are felt faction wide (so in all systems where the faction is present) as are all state effects.

Last edited:
Election - only non-combat actions provide influence (not bounties)

It's worth explicitly noting that influence effects from missions are considered non-combat effects with regards to elections, regardless of the type of mission.

That is, handing in a mission to kill ships/assassinate targets *will* affect the influence of a faction in an election state.

A question along the same lines:

If your chosen faction is in a state of war in one system, will cashing in combat bonds, earned in the war system, in other systems where your faction is also present, increase the influence in those systems, or only in the system where the war is going on ?

Last edited:
A question along the same lines:

If your chosen faction is in a state of war in one system, will cashing in combat bonds, earned in the war system, in other systems where your faction is also present, increase the influence in those systems, or only in the system where the war is going on ?
From my experience the combat Bonds only help the specific system in conflict.

You need to use Bounties to prop up everyplace else, but bounties can also help the system with the conflict.

Hi there,

I've been trying to bring about a regime change in my chosen system for a few months now, learning as I go along. I have noticed that if a faction gets into a war in one system, it brings about a general drop in that faction's influence across all the systems in which the faction is present, even if the faction is winning, or goes on to win the war.

There could be a very short answer to this...

Thanks for the help!

Ax

If Faction X is at war in system X, than NOTHING except bountys counts toward the influence for Faction X in system Y.

If in System Y nobody hands in bountys for faction X, this faction X will fall down in influence as long as it is in system X at war.

I've made specific tests about this and was VERY unhappy about the results
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ckground-Sim?p=6518501&viewfull=1#post6518501

If you have a large faction that is present in 20 systems and you are at war in one system, than ALL OTHER systems will fall down in influence if you don't hand in YOUR bountys there.

The same works also the other way around. Our faction is present in a small system with 3 other factions.
2 of these 3 factions were at war, the third one was at war in an other system.
Since for those factions nothing else but combat bonds and/or bountys helped the influence, our own faction was rising through the roof into an unwanted expansion just through random players doing missions.
The problem was, only for us missions counted towards influence and has reduced automatically the other 3 :(

forget missions!! If your faction is at war anywhere, in all other systems missions won't work anymore. Nothing works except bountys, the mission influence option is a lie!

Last edited:
forget missions!! If your faction is at war anywhere, in all other systems missions won't work anymore. Nothing works except bountys, the mission influence option is a lie!

Almost true... as of 3.0.

No mission with influence effects for (or against) your faction will work during war. However, taking a mission from your faction which is at-war which targets another faction which is not at war *will* have the desired effect on the target faction.

That is... if your Faction A is at war, and you accept a mission from A targeting faction B who is in the same system, and *not* in a war state... while no positive effect will be gained by your faction, the target will lose influence, which will result in a (proportional) net gain for your faction.

To run the numbers...

Faction A - 25%, B - 25%, C - 25%, D - 25%, one point per %.

If nobody is at war, and you run say, a skimmer kill mission offered by Faction A, targeting faction B. Points become:
Faction A - 30 (+5), B - 20 (-5), C, D no change. ( = A-30%, B-20%, C-25%, D-25%)

But if Faction A is at war, and B is not, it becomes:
Faction A - 25 (No change due to war), B - 20 (-5), C,D no change (25)

Normalising, this becomes
Faction A,C,D - 26.3%, Faction B - 20%

I've used this to protect factions from influence losses in war several times now (coz we're now at 4 pointless, consecutive wars. Struggletown :p )

Last edited:
This is really interesting. Is there any particular way I can easily find bounties issued only by the MF I am supporting or do I just have to go fishing?

Yes, has the MF got a system they control? If so don't bother with a KWS and just pew pew any wanted. You then only get the bounties for the controlling MF.

This is really interesting. Is there any particular way I can easily find bounties issued only by the MF I am supporting or do I just have to go fishing?
Systems said faction controls are best, otherwise system they are present in and with a KWS to go fishing is the more reliable means. Otherwise is chance with a KWS in nearby systems now thanks to 3.0 spawn changes.

Yes, but if the faction you won't to support is NOT in control position of any system, than you have a huge problem.
Even the KWS won't help much since the recent changes. The traffic in system is related to factions across the whole bubble and so are the bountys generated by the KWS. Finding bountys for your faction with the KWS is tedious and nearly impossible.
In that case, just finish this conflict ASAP and than do the usual ways to support that poor faction :(

If the faction you want to get bounties for doesn't control any systems, you can still get bounties if they control an outpost or station. Lead pirate NPCs into the station instance (with cargo or missions) then kill them, while staying outside the no fire zone. Be sure to check they are actually wanted first, as it may be different to what it was in supercruise.

If the faction you want to get bounties for doesn't control any systems, you can still get bounties if they control an outpost or station. Lead pirate NPCs into the station instance (with cargo or missions) then kill them, while staying outside the no fire zone. Be sure to check they are actually wanted first, as it may be different to what it was in supercruise.
Another option for this - fly around in supercruise at minimum speed within 1Mm of the station. Weapons Fire/Distress Call USSes which are generated will then have pirates definitely wanted in that jurisdiction, rather than ones wanted in the system jurisdiction which might be locally Clean.

If the faction has any ground bases, landable or not, then they have jurisdiction in a hemisphere out to approx. 350km. Cruising around in that volume can lure in pirate ships with the appropriate bounties.

Oh, and any Wanted skimmers you come across in POIs within that area (almost all will be Wanted) will also have the right bounties. Albeit only 1000Cr each, but they all help.

_trent_

Volunteer Moderator
Another option for this - fly around in supercruise at minimum speed within 1Mm of the station. Weapons Fire/Distress Call USSes which are generated will then have pirates definitely wanted in that jurisdiction, rather than ones wanted in the system jurisdiction which might be locally Clean.

This is a great technique for getting bounties for factions that own an asset but no systems. Much more reliable than hoping that the KWS will generate a bounty for that faction.

Top Bottom