Mission Playthrough Q&A - Quick Notes

Settlement Variation:
  • 27 unique settlements
  • 6 different themes: Agriculture, Industrial, Extraction, Tourism, Research, Military
  • Latter have unique building types, that can facilitate unique mission types.
  • More generic missions work across all types.
  • BGS factors like minor faction ownership.

NPC responses:
  • Guards or civilians are the two main types.
  • Settlement doesn't have a 'hive mind'. If you're detected doing something illicit, the message has to be radioed out to the wider settlement. If you take out the individuals in time the message won't be sent out.
  • Pointing weapon at them prompts warning at first
  • Will ask you to stop for a scan if they see something suspicious, and don't like it if you flee. [22m]. The scan will pick up on existing criminality. (Scanner works same for us). It can also detect if you have cloned IDs, illicit goods, stolen items. [25m]
  • Civilians etc will tell you to 'get out' in prohibited areas as a warning. Rather than 'instant fail state'

Building Gating:
  • Gating to some of the buildings.
  • The arc cutter is one way in.
  • The number on the door (3) was the required authority level to access.
  • Could clone authorisation by scanning an NPC that has it.
  • The AI don't like you doing it, so you have to be sneaky. (NB if you're scanned with a cloned ID, they'll spot that).
  • Expensive authority override consumable buyable. (NPCs don't like even seeing it in action - it's illegal)

Disabling Defences:
  • Pulling the power core takes all defences offline.
  • You can target alarms, turrets etc specifically, at certain consoles. Particularly in the command building. [28m20s]
  • If you gauge patrol routes etc, or use stealthy suit and weapon mods like silencers etc, you can get to those consoles.

Some other mission types:
  • Sabotage is a mission type. Messing up a mining production line etc.
  • Some missions have 'don't get caught' or 'no killing' requirements.
  • Trying to give missions direct from NPC mission givers more 'flavour'.
  • Reboot and restore missions: (see prior notes)

Player death:
  • If you're on foot and don't have a ship, you respawn at nearest port.
  • If you have a ship you get the choice of port or ship. If your ship is parked up on planet surface you'll get pushed to space for the respawn. If it's at a station you'll spawn in it there.
  • Anything in your backpack is lost on death. IE loot etc.

Suit management & Survival
  • Different things pull on suit's power.
  • Life support for air.
  • Shield (pretty power hungry when turned on, although depends on suit).
  • Some tools use suit power.
  • Survival starts to become a thing you consider. Rarely in settlements, because you can breath + recharge in buildings.
  • Extreme temperatures use up energy as suit battles them.
  • Can take physical damage almost immediately in some extreme environments. Some planets ruled off limits. It's possible to disembark in area that's 'acceptable', but quickly find yourself in extreme environment due to planetary rotation etc.

Miscellaneous:
  • TTK: Very variable. Quality of gear / quality of NPC opponents etc.
  • Physical multicrew helps co-ordinate missions like this / be in the same place
  • Premise for combat = same as ships (see prior notes)
  • Auto-land on surface possible now (confirmed)
  • Front Line Solutions: Arthur likes it, but doesn't say anything about what it involves.
  • Gareth wants alpha feeback on: The economy, bounty values, trespass fines etc. Things that feel right to them in test environment but may feel different when live.
  • Bruce says star reflections on helmet glass, panting as run, builds up to decent effect.
  • That planet was half a G, which they only realised when a grenade went further than expected. Said it affected jumping etc too.
  • You can go into any of those buildings, peak through windows, see what the NPCs are up to. All one instance.
  • Keen to stress this is just one locale version, of one aspect of EDO, and in total it adds up to a lot more.
  • Huge batch of 1080p screenshots from the mission (reddit)

Original vid:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_xFJThTGJw&t=840s

Additional Q&A here:

Last edited:
  • Auto-land on surface possible now (?)

I think this may be a misunderstanding. At the beginning of the mission, they were actually landing on a pad, with landing clearance and everything. It just looks very different from the ones we know in Horizons. But check the ship UI after landing, it shows the refuel option.

This also explains the passive Skimmers. They were just landing at the settlement, in a non-wanted state, so no particular cause for alarm. The sneaking around was mostly for show in the demo I guess.

yes, to both.

though, it's faster if you do both at the same time.

Instructions unclear poured petrol on finger and put it in socket.

maxresdefault.jpg

I think this may be a misunderstanding. At the beginning of the mission, they were actually landing on a pad, with landing clearance and everything. It just looks very different from the ones we know in Horizons. But check the ship UI after landing, it shows the refuel option.
I thought Arf mentioned using the new auto-land to get smooth footage for the first part, but did a manual landing for the escape bit at the end?

I thought Arf mentioned using the new auto-land to get smooth footage for the first part, but did a manual landing for the escape bit at the end?
Yes, that's what they said. I noticed that Obsidian Ant didn't explain it correctly in his reaction video and assumed that the landing in the beginning was on open ground.

I saw the short mission and it looks ok. Was there any chat at all about hiring npcs to help you if not with other players... Or missions where you join an existing group is you are a hired hand.

There were two separate points as far as I can tell:

1) He landed legally, with full permissions, on a pad in the first instance because he was friendly with the faction. He used auto-docking.

2) Separately from that, and not shown in the video, the Docking Computer can now find suitable landing spots and land your ship freely anywhere on the surface, not just at landing pads. Auto-docking versus auto-landing.

Not surprising because our basic ship computer can already do this when we recall the ship from orbit (although it does seem to get a bit more leeway than we do in terms of what counts as "suitable terrain").

Last edited:
I take it everyone also noticed the prominent display of a poster about desert flora and fauna on whatsisname's wall?

Right at the end... and he actually repositioned the camera to get it in the shot...

Why did they have to kill the workers? Couldn't they just knock them out? I mean, those workers had families to support, children to feed, and relative that will now mourn their passing. Man, this is a dangerous universe. Pun intended.
That crossed my mind too.... Can we get non lethal weapons for civvies?

Top Bottom