General / Off-Topic MLP:FiM - Final Season

Jenner

Volunteer Moderator
Season 9 will be the final season of FiM. Celestia and Luna are retiring. Villain-of-the-week Grogar is creating a 'suicide squad' of baddies to take over Equestria. Twilight, having been unceremoniously dumped on the throne, has a nervous breakdown when she's forced to deal with a resurgent King Sombra without the help of the Two Sisters.

I won't spoil the opening two-parter. Suffice it to say that Sombra didn't have a good day. o7 Sombra. It was fun.

So what do y'all think is going to happen in this final season? My kiddo can't decide on anything other than the bad guys won't win. (She's probably right, so I'll give her points for accuracy if not for predictive boldness). Me - I'm half thinking Hasbo will find a way to shoehorn in Gen5 into the final part of the season. What I hope they don't do is a Magic Mystery Cure Part Duex when some handwavium transforms everyone into whatever form they're going to be in the next show. I hope they at least finish off FiM with a bit more dignity than that, but we'll see. I'm pretty sure that Twilight will wind up the ruler of Equestira too. Too bad....I'd have preferred they'd keep the Sisters in charge but they've been building up to Twilight assuming the throne for a long time.

Jenner

Volunteer Moderator
Mid season hiatus now. Second and final half coming in August if I'm not mistaken.

Sombra is toast. We've had several really good episodes and a few 'meh' ones. Luna and Celestia had one of their best episodes together ever.

So, pony fans.... (I know there are a few around). What did you think so far?

Mid season hiatus now. Second and final half coming in August if I'm not mistaken.

Sombra is toast. We've had several really good episodes and a few 'meh' ones. Luna and Celestia had one of their best episodes together ever.

So, pony fans.... (I know there are a few around). What did you think so far?
I haven't even started with the last season. :LOL:
Good to hear about Luna, though

Jenner

Volunteer Moderator
I haven't even started with the last season. :LOL:
Good to hear about Luna, though
Last season's favs for me:
Fake it Till you Make it (awesome Flutters ep)
Horse Play (One of the best Celestia focused episodes ever)
The Parent Map (Good Starlight episode, and with a good twist on the usual Friendship Map plotline)
The Mean 6 (Great Chrysalis ep, and really funny)
Road to Friendship (Trixie!)

Season 9 favs so far:
Sparkle's Seven (Written by some of the voice actors. This is a really fun and bananas ep).
The Point of No Return (Always fun to see an ep focused on Twi doing her Twi freakouts when she's stressed)
Common Ground (Return of Patton Oswalt as Quibble. Mature subjects of (implied) divorce and difficulty bonding wtih your partner's child of a previous marriage)
Frenemies (Tirek and Chrysalis get some character development).
The Last Crusade (CMC ep. Finally get to see Scoot's parents.)
Between Dark and Dawn (Celestia and Luna go on a vacation together, only to get on each other's nerves and start fighting like they did before Luna's banishment. They eventually make up and learn a lesson about sisterhood. Good stuff about Luna feeling bossed around all the time by Tia and being stuck in her shadow, Tia feeling like she's not only keeping Equestria afloat but also her sister's fragile ego, etc.).

Jenner

Volunteer Moderator
Never will understand this "adult" fandom but whatever makes you happy :)
It's good. That's really the long and the short of it. I don't like many cartoons nowadays, but MLP:FiM is quality.

Try it sometime. Even if you hate it, what have you lost aside from 20 minutes? ;)

Try it sometime. Even if you hate it, what have you lost aside from 20 minutes? ;)
I had a friend sit me down and watch an episode. Something about a birthday cake or something. Just not for me, it is just too damn bubbly for me to the point I associate it with Barney and Tele-Tubbie levels of cuteness shudders

For cartoons i'll stick with my South park, Archer, Boondocks and Mr. Pickles.
Thanks though 😉

I had a friend sit me down and watch an episode. Something about a birthday cake or something. Just not for me, it is just too damn bubbly for me to the point I associate it with Barney and Tele-Tubbie levels of cuteness shudders

For cartoons i'll stick with my South park, Archer, Boondocks and Mr. Pickles.
Thanks though 😉
Your friend didn't think it through. Episodes with Pinkie Pie are the most shouty and in your face of them all. I would never choose one of them if I wanted to get somebody interested. Tactical mistake. :LOL:
If he at least started with the FIRST episode. Or any of the good ones...

Jenner

Volunteer Moderator
Your friend didn't think it through. Episodes with Pinkie Pie are the most shouty and in your face of them all. I would never choose one of them if I wanted to get somebody interested. Tactical mistake. :LOL:
If he at least started with the FIRST episode. Or any of the good ones...
Agreed. Dropping someone in on a Pinky episode isn't the best introduction. At the very least it gives you a false impression of the show's tone, which is far from over-the-top zaniness. Much better to just start with the pilot - "Friendship is Magic". Get introduced to the mane 6 and their personalities, and to the world. One of the big strengths of mlp is in its world-building, and the stuff in ep 1 with the two alicorn sisters who rule Equestira is one of the best examples of that.

Top Bottom