Mode switching for missions and Smeaton Orbital [200mill/hour]

a) using an exploit (mode switching for missions)
b) literally NOT playing the game for 40 minutes while AFK in supercruise.

Firstly, not an exploit. FDev have not hesitated to say something is an exploit when it is. When someone complained that the passenger runs out of Rhea had been nerfed, instead of saying "Oh, silly player, served you right for exploiting!" they simply said, "Missions will shift in frequency and payout with system state. That system is no longer in a boom state, so this is expected."

Second, you go right ahead and try AFK'ing for the trip. I kept getting chain-interdictions every time I made the run.
By chain interdiction, I mean as soon as I beat one, the VERY NEXT MOMENT the second one started. Three in a chain, and it happened three times between start of the run and arrival. I switched to a corvette because I got fed up and started fighting them with guns instead of maneuvers.

Saying it's AFKing and an exploit would put Hutton Orbital in the same category, and I'm pretty sure it's established that it's not.

Last edited:
Second, you go right ahead and try AFK'ing for the trip. I kept getting chain-interdictions every time I made the run.
By chain interdiction, I mean as soon as I beat one, the VERY NEXT MOMENT the second one started. Three in a chain, and it happened three times between start of the run and arrival. I switched to a corvette because I got fed up and started fighting them with guns instead of maneuvers.

Those chain interdictions happen when you reach the halfway point and start to slow down again, thus the ships chasing you are catching up. So you avoid one, and then the next one catches up.

You get a notification for each mission which may have an enemy chasing you. If you get that notification after entering the system you know for sure something is going to interdict you at the halfway mark.

This is highly predictable and requires minimum effort to mitigate.

Plus, with two monitors you see what happens on your main monitor while netflix or youtube is running on the 2nd anyhow.

Either way, easy to avoid those interdictions, but that is a side note.

Funny how FDEV shut down the infinite-gold asteroids and stripped the credits off anyone who used those asteroids

They were a bug, they (FDev) didn't intend it to do that, hence using a bug is an exploit, and penalties applied.

Passenger missions are not a bug, they are doing what the Devs intended them to do. You might not be happy with the payouts, but they are working as intended.

I don't see that other people making money is causing you to have a worse game experience. If you feel you are getting left out, why not do the missions yourself?

Last edited:
Ah, asking cos I'm in a Clipper and I'm wondering what my ROI would be flying to Smeaton. :p

A single mission with 15-20 passengers for economy seating will pay 15-30 million for the flight from Allen Hub to Smeaton (payout affected by your standing and trading rank).

Those chain interdictions happen when you reach the halfway point and start to slow down again, thus the ships chasing you are catching up. So you avoid one, and then the next one catches up.

You get a notification for each mission which may have an enemy chasing you. If you get that notification after entering the system you know for sure something is going to interdict you at the halfway mark.

This is highly predictable and requires minimum effort to mitigate.

Plus, with two monitors you see what happens on your main monitor while netflix or youtube is running on the 2nd anyhow.

Either way, easy to avoid those interdictions, but that is a side note.

I've had the first ones hit when I was barely away from the arrival star, so it's not limited to halfway there. And I use an Oculus, the second monitor doesn't do much for me when I do.

I don't see that other people making money is causing you to have a worse game experience. If you feel you are getting left out, why not do the missions yourself?

I have done the missions myself.

That's not the point.

The point is how every other activity / career in the game becomes completely worthless as far as earning money goes when you can earn 3 million per minute with near zero effort using these money-printing passenger runs.

How rewarding does it feel for someone to do mining and knowing for every hour they muck about in an asteroid belt they could be making 190-195 million more flying to Smeaton.

Upcoming "Jersey Cow" skin for Anaconda confirmed!

Lol, that would be something to see.

I still dont understand why people get so upset about how people make their credits in this game or how other people play the game unless something they are doing effects others gameplay .

Credits dont make you a better pilot, they might let you get to the big 3 or is it four now with the T10, it doesn't make you king of the hill, it doesn't help you with the BGS, nor PP, I guess it might help if you PVP a lot and have a lot of rebuys if your in one of the big3, so having a lot of credits if your an average player means what to the player or any other player for that matter.

If people want to play the game this way then its off no concern to me, hell once Im bag in game and the bubble I might just look one of these up to see if I can get the cash for a cutter its past time I found out what all the fuss was about, even more so as I've been Duke for a while, oh got there by playing the game the way I like to play it. which is mainly in Empire space....

Last edited:
I've never had an interdiction 'til about ~1000 ls out from the station. Until this point any pursuer is too far away.

By the halfway point they can be 40 KLS behind and then of course gradually catch up until you begin to throttle back prior to dropping at the station.

Without fail this is at about 1000 ls out.

However colleagues on the same run have reported NPC's randomly appearing at the 1/2 way point, turning and successfully interdicting when they are at 1600c +, I doubt this would be possible for a player.

How rewarding does it feel for someone to do mining and knowing for every hour they muck about in an asteroid belt they could be making 190-195 million more flying to Smeaton.
that's why they should open the galaxy map and plot a course to smeaton immediately

Last edited:
I have done the missions myself.

That's not the point.

The point is how every other activity / career in the game becomes completely worthless as far as earning money goes when you can earn 3 million per minute with near zero effort using these money-printing passenger runs.

Lol, that would be something to see.

As to the missions/payment balance... it's always somewhat contentious because of the perception of reward being subjective. I have to agree on the basis of comparison to other professions, however, because not everyone wants to be a Space Bus Driver- that FD really needs to do an overhaul on the ENTIRE reward system for all professions, rather than singular "nerf" updates to particular missions. Something to keep in mind here also, is that ED does not have a "player driven" economy, and also multiplay is an optional part of the game, since players may utilize Solo for the entirety of the game and it doesn't have any real direct bearing on the game economy if they do so.

Now, given that I'm not familiar with the game coding of the mission system- I'm also not aware of just how complicated that could be... but I'm definitely aware that the consistent updates in the past are evidence that something else is awry in the mission system itself.

That said, we should all keep in mind that the reward system, no matter how it's implemented, is going to be a topic of subjective debate... much like negotiating salaries in a job interview.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
I'm confused. Is this another board flip topic or people get paid too much for passenger missions topic? Well I'll give you the board flip is a grey area topic around here but the pay outs seem legit. I've not been to Smeaton but in ED you get paid based on possible danger/difficulty you have to deal with and you get paid on time invested....supercuise time for example. What people do in SC is up to them...netflix, YouTube or whatever. If it makes you feel better I just sit there motionless in my VR headset when I'm on a long trip. I've fallen asleep before too....really :D

Also the gold exploit sounds like a 100% bug. Getting paid for your time isn't.

Last edited:
The way I see it, these "fast money" situations, and (where applicable) when they give out mimics another phenomenon we know all too well in the real world.

Someone finds a way to make money. They tell all their friends. Some have success, others fail, but more and more people try. People overdo it, and the market collapses.

The Alaskan gold rush.
The real estate market (multiple times).
The Dot.com bubble.

It's a bit of (perhaps accidental) brilliance in that the game reacts in predictable ways to such behavior patterns.

So its 200mil per hour with low level rank with system factions or do you have to spend time playing the game to get these payouts by levelling the factions?

Also players dont start the game with passenger anacondas,takes time to build up to one or even a type 7.

These payout claims always neglect to point out how much work it can be getting allied with local factions and having a large enough ship to really take advantage.

My point is players put in a decent amount of work to get to the point where this type of money can be made.

That depends what they like doing. Maybe the idea of making money running passengers doesn't appeal to them.

Mining doesn't appeal to me and even tho' I am doing this for a bit it's really boring. But then I am doing it specifically to buy a combat rated Cutter and that costs ~1.2 BnCr.

And it reminds me a bit of Robigo.

Then when I'm done I'll be able to fly in Open all the time and not give a hoot about rebuy. That's the goal.

Top Bottom