Mode switching for missions and Smeaton Orbital [200mill/hour]

Its their loss guys!

Why do you care? If they can't be bothered with investing quality time into this game and enjoying the progression at a more normal pace, who are we to say anything?

Their choice... Their loss.

I frankly could not care less in any case.

This^^^

I love mission running and more then once I take a sub million mission just because it's going to a nice system with a view.
I like to play ED not race through it.
If others play ED to get that badass ultimate fighting machine as soon as possible then sure have fun with it for as long as that fun lasts.

Mode switching isn't considered an exploit by FDEV but I have to agree with the rest of it.

The problem is it is human nature to try to take shortcuts. If someone aspired to be a doctor but everyday someone left £1mil in a carrier bag 600 miles away and all they had to do was get in a taxi and be driven there to get it (like in ED where you aren't even doing anything), they would almost certainly chose to do that over putting in the effort to become a doctor.

I have managed to stay away from all of the previous cash cows but I decided to try this a couple of times for a Type 10 and now it effectively renders all other ways of making credits pointless. I get why people don't want easy ways to make money removed from the game but it utterly wrecks it for people that aren't focused on pew pew in IMHO. I'd prefer it if they made actually playing the game more rewarding; 5 million bounty for killing any NPC would be far better then aiming a ship at a starport and doing something else for 40 mins. Equally getting 20 mil for a planet side POI would be engaging.

I'm not against easier cash but you shouldn't be rewarded for not playing the game and that is what we have here.

To the OP. This may be a little left field, but should we also shut down google/YouTube (or even reading the excellent guides on this forum)because it also gives players and advantage of how to progress in the game compared to learning it yourself.
Sure this game has problems, but seriously who cares? YOU
I have never used this method. I made my money running Sothis/Ceos mind numbing but whatever and exploration . If others want to use your method GOOD FOR THEM. It wont ruin my enjoyment at all. Does it ruin yours or is this just a "back in my day things where so tough" whine?
If this is up the top of your list of problems i envy you :rolleyes:

When the game came out you'd buy almost every ship as and when you could afford it and then use it to try out different things, you'd find something rewarding and then capitalise on it and then buy more expensive ships and repeat the process over a period of months or years.
The first triple Elite when the game came out was within a month. I can't remember exactly how long it took him to get an Anaconda, but I don't think it was more than a week.

A lot of people advanced more slowly than now, because the game hadn't been analysed as much and because certain ways to make money either weren't so widely known or didn't exist yet ... but you could still make lots pretty quickly if you knew how and went all out for it.

It was quite a while - 1.2? perhaps 1.3? - before the "AFK your turret boat next to a friendly capship" route to both Combat Elite and a ton of combat bonds got closed.
Seeking Luxuries lasted a while right at the start and let you trade high-value goods at high profit from a station to the adjacent signal source.
There was a bug with nav-lock for quite a while which let you skip all the supercruise between star and station for rapid trade profits.
The original Powerplay regional effects created some ridiculously good trade routes.

Other than perhaps pre-release Beta, the game has always had at least one and often several get-rich-quick schemes available.

If Frontier shut down long-range passenger missions tonight ... I can think of three or four different ways to easily earn ~50MCr/hour with other sorts of mission. Min-maxed wing mining can get over 30 MCr/hour each (and that's been true since 1.3 when they put in limpets and made it practical to mine at all, though I think it took a lot longer for people to figure out how).

Funny how FDEV shut down the infinite-gold asteroids and stripped the credits off anyone who used those asteroids then when the profit from that activity was much less than what you can make on a single Smeaton run (or whichever other stations are located far from jumpin points).

The cash vs time invested is off the charts and basically makes all other forms of earning cash pointless. That is the point.

Normally I don't do this, but I haven't read past page 1, so apologies if this is a repeat:

I've never UA bombed anything, but as I understand it, if someone did UA bomb Smeaton (and other such places), the cash cow is gone until someone fixes the station. That would be how griefers can affect you, regardless of what mode you play in.

On to your OP:

Frontier has a number of options when it comes to this kind of thing, but I actually like that these missions exist, and that they pay as much as they do. It does take some time investment, and doing these missions, as you said, earns a lot of credits in a very short amount of time. This way, at least, players have options - if you want to make a lot of credits, go do this thing over here for a bit, and then spend the rest of your time in game playing however you want, and doing whatever you want, instead of being concerned about how much it pays. In some ways, you could also extend that to flying whatever you want or like, instead of whatever is most efficient, because again, if making credits is your goal, go do this for a bit.

The alternative, is for Frontier to fight the never-ending battle of trying to make sure most (or all) of the activities in the game have comparable payout potential. Considering how many different activities there are, this just seems like a dog chasing its tail - just as amusing, and just as useless. One cash cow in the game that doesn't involve exploits (anyone's opinion on board flipping is irrelevant, since Frontier has not determined it to be an exploit), takes some time to accomplish, and provides a really good return on that time investment. One thing that can be tweaked, as necessary, instead of trying to balance a slider for each activity in the game.

There is also something else that's important - as the game progresses, Frontier needs to build in ways for a brand-new player to catch up, and get involved with whatever is currently happening in the game in a meaningful way. This means reducing the initial ramp time, which is something that all MMO's do, in some way or other. Frontier has already increased the new Commander income potential substantially since I started playing, and these passenger missions (and to a lesser extent, the fact that the Ram Tah mission can be repeated) provide new Commanders with a way to get into the current game fairly quickly. This is, actually, really, really important. Those are just two of the ways - there are more.

I get that it doesn't make sense - do them or don't, that choice is yours every time you load up the game. If you are doing them, then complaints are hypocritical, don't you think?

How many runs did you do before making this post, by the way?

Riôt

Last edited:
if someone did UA bomb Smeaton (and other such places)
In this case the "and other such places" is fairly key - there's so many of these systems that you'd need a significant numeric advantage over people wanting to use them to keep them out of action.

Frontier has a number of options when it comes to this kind of thing, but I actually like that these missions exist, and that they pay as much as they do.
Agreed. I've no interest in doing them myself - I hate flying big ships, already own an FDL and Python, and have a billion in spare cash just from doing "normal" activities, so if they killed everything earning over 10MCr/hour tomorrow it wouldn't affect me at all, and if they killed everything over 1MCr/hour it wouldn't really affect me either.
But something like this should exist for the people who want to fly the big ships and want to do something with them other than "be ultra cautious so you never have to rebuy them"

I think a better solution would be to take the really steep curve off ship/outfitting prices, though - bring a fully-fitted Cutter to about 50 million, and everything above maybe the DBX down along that sort of curve. That way they don't have the impossibility of balancing earnings across ship classes where the Cutter costs several hundred times what the Cobra III does but at best can earn money maybe ten times as quickly.

You appear to be one of those unfortunate few who can't get past what "other" players are doing in the game and how some of those things are having a negative impact on your ability to enjoy the game. It doesn't matter that none of your perceived injustices are actually real/tangible.

I get it. You are not the first and you won't be the last to suffer with this malady.
i-had-to-leave-they-were-having-fun-wrong.jpg

To the OP. This may be a little left field, but should we also shut down google/YouTube (or even reading the excellent guides on this forum)because it also gives players and advantage of how to progress in the game compared to learning it yourself

Good idea.

In fact why not just blow up the entire planet whilst we're at it. That way all problems will disappear.

May be these guys could help:

la-ol-le-trump-kim-jong-un-nukes-20170925

Its their loss guys!

Why do you care? If they can't be bothered with investing quality time into this game and enjoying the progression at a more normal pace, who are we to say anything?

Their choice... Their loss.

I frankly could not care less in any case.

It's not just "their loss" if a bunch of people buy the game, skip a huge amount of the intended gameplay (and fail to learn a bunch of stuff about how the game works in the process) and then moan about it to the dev's until they change things to suit people who have a skewed impression of the game.

By way of analogy, it's a bit like an ever-increasing number of people buying Skyrim because they like the idea of a "fantasy beat 'em up" game and then Bethesda gradually reconfigure the game to suit those people.
Sure, you can't really blame a company for adapting to the wishes of it's customers, and you can't blame customers for trying to get what they want.
The fact remains, however, that if that were to happen, the people who understood the idea of the original game, and enjoyed it, would be royally shafted as a result of those changes.

Agree with it or not, that is happening to ED, to some extent.
Nobody's perfect and nobody takes an interest in every aspect of the game but when you've got people who are flying around in "end-game" ships who are ignorant about a LOT of aspects of the game, something must surely be wrong if they can get to that position without becoming aware of the stuff they should know.

It's not just "their loss" if a bunch of people buy the game, skip a huge amount of the intended gameplay (and fail to learn a bunch of stuff about how the game works in the process) and then moan about it to the dev's until they change things to suit people who have a skewed impression of the game.

Hmm... pretty much all of those high paying missions do have a recommended ELITE trade rank... ever thought about that for a moment?

EDIT: Or, are you saying that players not having Elite rank in trading can get them? That, would be a bug then.

Deleted member 115407

D
All joking aside, you're absolutely right on the money with this. Players are missing out on the 'mid game' and not learning the ropes as they follow the next youtube get rich quick scheme. It massively affects BGS gameplay, Powerplay mechanics and to be honest, when death becomes a mild inconvenience in a game that tries to portray itself as being set in a 'cut-throat galaxy', somethings amiss.

As much as I advocate for people flying the ships they want to fly, you're absolutely right.

Sigh, same old story….
Find exploit,
grind exploit,
buy biggest ship / most stuff possible,
get bored,
moan about lack of content for "end gamers",
rage quit,
everyone replies with "can I haz your stuff"

I suggest that you level up your self-control and play the game rather than try and win it all the time, enjoy a bit of gold rush then move on to something else.
Grinding the same exploit is like picking the stickers off of a rubix cube or cheating at solitaire - the path of least resistance is generally the least interesting.

However the option is there so play it your own way.

….And Just so I can get in first, can I haz your stuff, pwese?

I don't want anyone's stuff. I just warn them

giphy.gif

Not to get hit by the door on their way out.

You don't want to play, don't play. Doesn't make any difference to me - actually it does - it means one less commander to be in my way.

Hmm... pretty much all of those high paying missions do have a recommended ELITE trade rank... ever thought about that for a moment?

EDIT: Or, are you saying that players not having Elite rank in trading can get them? That, would be a bug then.

No, it's not. That restriction was removed.

Your forgetting that trip will cost such a ship ~700K in integrity repairs.

True that, you can only make about 199,300,000 an hour not 200,000,000. Waste of time really. :D

It's about a year since the rank rating of a mission (any mission) determined whether you could actually accept them or not, it's just an indication of difficulty now.

You know that the recommended rank is just a guide, right?

There's nothing to prevent a novice from taking a mission withe a recommended rank of, say, Elite.

Course, that would seem to be another example of ED being out of whack in some respects.
As a novice, take a combat mission with a recommended rank of Elite and it's likely you're going to find yourself getting thoroughly minced by a Combination of things like Elite Anacondas, FdLs and FGSs.
Conversely, take a passenger mission with a recommended rank of Elite and... what?
You're going to get interdicted a couple of times on the way to Smeaton and you'll either have to evade or submit & run.
In either case, it's not exactly a big challenge.

And that's all there is to an "Elite" passenger mission, aside from the ability to stay awake for 35 minutes of SC?

OP I do see your point however you've just advertised this to the whole forum.

I've heard of smeaton but never been there. I'm actually considering doing it because it sounds like a good way for a time poor player like me to make some serious credits.

On a more serious note, I play mainly in PG and Solo and I couldn't care one iota what others do in this game, how much cash they have or what they do with it. It has zero impact on my game. I know these inflated 'money' runs exist in the game and on occasion I've taken part but it's not very interesting and I earn most of my credits without them. Either way makes no difference to me.

A new player who finds out about this could buy a conda within a few hours of picking up the game but they have learnt nothing in the process and have actually done themselves out of one of the most appealing aspects of the game which is progression.

Well the mission reward balance has always leaned towards the "more mundane the mission, greater the reward" philosophy.

All the Netflix CMDRs are getting there wishes come true.
Maximum profit, for minimal effort. :p

Top Bottom