Module priority settings usability issue

I guess most people don't have this issue but it is a nasty thing, at least for me:

I have a hotas warthog (no, thats not nasty. i love it, absolutely worth its money) and i use the slew control (it's like the red mouse-thing on lenovo books) to navigate through menus 'n stuff. That's pretty decent and works totally cool except for one thing:

Because of the analog character of this slew control and the not locked control of priorities in the modules-screen i randomly and unintentionally switch power-priorities all the time by just scrolling through the module list. :(

Well, i have no totally perfect solution for it, but it would be very helpfull, if there would be some sort of "edit-mode" for these priorities to enable. You know, it's not something u are editing all the time or every 5 minutes, so it would be helpful IMHO, if these priorities would be fixed and only changeable after switching to an editing-mode or something like that and not just permanently.
That would prevent me from checking these settings every few minutes.

My first suggestion-idea was to have to click on a module to switch its priority afterwards, but clicking is already in use for switching them on and off.. :rolleyes: ...so not really elaborate of me..

Are there others who are bothered by that? Or are you switching power priorities of modules frequently (can't imagine why), so my suggestion is against your playstyle?

PS: sorry, no native english speaker, please be lenient. :eek:

Last edited:

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
Could you not assign a deadzone to the slew control in the Thrustmaster software so you're unlikely to ever accidentally press left or right when scrolling up or down?

To be honest I use my power controls all the time, when running my viper and trying to run juicy scanners and weapons. I don't want to rain on your control scheme but it would seem that an analogue control would be better used elsewhere, like for lateral/vertical thrust? If I had a good analogue 'stick' on my x-55 that's exactly what I would do.

Alternatively, if you don't have another non-menu use for this control that requires analogue functionality, I'm certain you could map the control as a digital 'hat' axis? This is possible in Saitek software, which is less sophisticated then the Thrustmaster equivalent.

Could you not assign a deadzone to the slew control in the Thrustmaster software so you're unlikely to ever accidentally press left or right when scrolling up or down?

Ah, yeah.. no. I assign everything directly in ED. I'm not using the extra software.
besides that, i'm not sure it would solve the problem, but i will have a look and try that.

To be honest I use my power controls all the time, when running my viper and trying to run juicy scanners and weapons.

Uh, I'm not sure if you got my point. I use powermanagement all the time, too. I don't ask for a change to the powermanagement (switching modules on and off) itself, that's cool 'n stuff.
My point goes to the priority settings. Are you switching the priorities of modules (to define what should be shut down first in case of power shortages) all the time?

I don't want to rain on your control scheme but it would seem that an analogue control would be better used elsewhere, like for lateral/vertical thrust?

OK, maybe it's not necessary to use an analogue input for that, but it's a bit like with mouse and keyboard.. who uses keys for the menu, if he has a mouse at hand?

Thanks to you both for your suggestions. I will check the deadzone settings in TARGET software (although it's nasty to run it only for that purpose) but i won't change my control scheme, 'cause i really like it all around, except for the priority thingy..

It's "just" some sort of "usability design flaw" in my opinion (as a gui programmer I'm a bit into this usability-stuff), but that's, as i wrote, just my opinion/point of view.

I'm simply curious , if there are other people who do second that and on the opposite, if there are people, who switch priorities (!) frequently. will add that to the opener..

Ah Edith, a friend of mine, just asked, if there are deadzone settings for the menu controls ingame (can't check at the moment), but i believe there aren't..

Last edited:
Mmh, ok. Forget TARGET, it's a PITA.
It uses virtual replacements for stick and throttle and therefore would need a whole new setup of controls in ED.

I will not use it, because i don't want to torture me and my machine with this script-poo everytime i want to play.

But the best part: after running ED once with the TARGET script in the backround, the game forgot everything i configured for my controls beforehand, YAY.
Now I have to do it all again.

Cheese anyone? :-/

Last edited:
I switch power settings constantly during a fight, depending on what I need. Never more than once within 10 seconds though, but I'm always switching power.

Top Bottom