Moons close to Earth-likes/ammonias?

I absolutely love the famous shots from the Apollo missions framing the planet behind the Moon, and i end up really wanting to visit their moons.

Unfortunately, it turns out that in reality, your eyes are not actually a telephoto lens, and the earth is REALLY tiny behind you. There's no way you can see any details on the planet itself from the SRV, sadly.

So, other than Mitterand Hollow, do any of you know Earthlikes or ammonias with some exceptionally close moons? I'd love to visit them.
Anything under 10 days orbit time would qualify i suppose.

Dfk0fKVW0AAMQ26.jpg:orig

Here's the only one i have ever found, sadly had the dark side facing it.

The two moons of Earth-likes with the shortest orbital periods that I have personally found are:
Col 135 Sector ZB-J b10-0 BC3a (2.4 days)
Splojue SF-A c34 B5 (2.1 days)
The former is less than 1KLY from Sol, in the direction of Regor Sector, and with its host planet orbiting a M-L pair of stars should have some good views. The Earth-like in Splojue is over 36KLY from Sol but I have a couple of screenshots here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...x-Expedition?p=6249978&viewfull=1#post6249978

The two moons of Earth-likes with the shortest orbital periods that I have personally found are:
Col 135 Sector ZB-J b10-0 BC3a (2.4 days)

Wow, very surprised to see that so close to Sol, and even more surprising around a class M! totally bookmarking that, Thank you

Last edited:
If you wish to look for Earth-likes and ammonia worlds which have very close-orbiting moons, then you're looking for something very rare: the planet should be a moon of something and have a moon of its own.
For example, here's one with an ELM and its parent gas giant:

Or one with ammonia:

The closest to the bubble is IC 1396 Sector RU-F d11-7, discovered by CMDR Pearcy. The one where the parent Earth-like appears the largest (as far as I know) is Eoch Pri AC-B d1-18, discovered by CMDR Guywano. I think it's also the one closest to Colonia. The ammonia world in the picture above is Leamae CP-Z d69, discovered by CMDR Matt Graham.

As a fun bonus, these close moons have active volcanism, although I think nobody has found sites on them yet.

Last edited:
Worlds can only have close moons when they orbit something else?

That's strange, not sure why it is like that but it would explain things.

As an interesting coincidence, i just discovered a small ammonia around a class II gas giant with a moon, 7kly north of colonia, JUEMOA HC-K D9-16 (but beware of the close binary of the 2 main stars!)

DgJ4oCjXcAEsJw9.jpg:orig

Not really, but it does help a lot. Since your post talked about Earth-likes, those are what I went with.
Mind you, we're talking about stable orbits for appropriately heavy objects generated in Elite. As things stand, those can be pretty tight constraints. You're not going to get a moon with the mass and orbit of Phobos, for example.

Last edited:
Oh, bear in mind that my screenshots weren't zoomed in. On such moons, the parent body really does take up much of the sky. (Hm, should've made some in-SRV shots.)

The closest to the bubble is IC 1396 Sector RU-F d11-7, discovered by CMDR Pearcy.

Here's a video of it. I had a few cool photos of it, but they I've lost them :-/

[video=youtube;E0_zF1ladVw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0_zF1ladVw[/video]

Top Bottom