More fire buttons

I'm sure this has been brought up a LOT, and with good reason. It's been years since the game was released and we still only have two fire buttons.

Let us have at least three fire buttons, FDev please. [cry]

EDIT: What I personally had in mind with this feature was to be able to have an extra fire button so I could use a scanner without switching to another fire group just for it. For example, being able to keep firing at a target with two different types of weapon and using the kill warrant scanner at the same time.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been brought up a LOT, and with good reason. It's been years since the game was released and we still only have two fire buttons.

Expect to get shutdown repeatedly with arguments about balancing out larger ships, employment of skill in switching groups mid-combat, and quotes from the developers rejecting this request. “You want an easy mode”, “You’re lazy”, “blah blah blah”.

Personally I’d go further and suggest that we should have as many fire buttons as there are hardpoints, because in truth there is a skill requirement in reaching for the right buttons at the right time anyway, which increases the more you add.

I would also like to see this added. I would like to be able to fire lasers, multi cannons, and cannons using different buttons.

Expect to get shutdown repeatedly with arguments about balancing out larger ships, employment of skill in switching groups mid-combat, and quotes from the developers rejecting this request. “You want an easy mode”, “You’re lazy”, “blah blah blah”.

Personally I’d go further and suggest that we should have as many fire buttons as there are hardpoints, because in truth there is a skill requirement in reaching for the right buttons at the right time anyway, which increases the more you add.

Yeah, all those skillful (virtual) pilots with the git gud line of arguments...

For what it's worth I fully agree with the suggestion

Last edited:
Yeah, all those skillful (virtual) pilots with the git gud line of arguments...

For what it's worth I fully agree with the suggestion

Yup, that's the type.

I was being a little extreme to make a point though. I would actually recommend a maximum of 9 fire buttons.
Firstly, because it would be a nightmare in the controls menu otherwise, and secondly because the icon in fire group assignment is big enough for a single digit, which I'm fine with.

Moreover, the Anaconda has 8 weapon slots, which is the most in the game, as well as 8 utility slots, so 16 potential fire buttons the Type-10 has 9 weapon slots, which is the most in the game, as well as 8 utility slots, so a potential 17 fire buttons, which is a bit ridiculous, as you could only really justify having a fire button for each one if you had a different weapon in each slot, and at least 5 other utility modules that require a fire button, to complement the 3 integrated scanners. That's not a case the game should need to cater for, and having a combination of fire groups plus 9 fire buttons would make any loadout very easy to manage.

Last edited:
This would be very much appreciated. Having half of my stick's trigger ignored because the game doesn't believe it exists is a little frustrating.

Lestat

Banned

So you are saying Button mashing is a skill. LOL. That a new one. Have every button listed on my keyboard so I can mash them to infinity and beyond. Ya I don't think so. Button mashing is easy mode.

At least the way it set up right now. You have to know which fire group has which weapon. Or even setting up your Fire groups is a skill in its self. Also using 2 buttons to get to the right fire group also helps fewer buttons to click to get to the right fire group So instead of clicking 1 button go through 6 different Fire groups you have 2 buttons and your needed fire group is 3 click away.

So you are saying Button mashing is a skill. LOL. That a new one. Have every button listed on my keyboard so I can mash them to infinity and beyond. Ya I don't think so. Button mashing is easy mode.

At least the way it set up right now. You have to know which fire group has which weapon. Or even setting up your Fire groups is a skill in its self. Also using 2 buttons to get to the right fire group also helps fewer buttons to click to get to the right fire group So instead of clicking 1 button go through 6 different Fire groups you have 2 buttons and your needed fire group is 3 click away.

Aaaand BOOM, we have our first "easy mode" customer. lol

What is this logic? I have many buttons, so I must mash them all!

The lovely thing about fire groups is that it can even negate what little skill there is in button mashing, as you can just assign all weapons to one fire button, which lets you mash everything with a single push of just one button. [haha]
So, no. If the fear was creating a (God forbid :eek:) "easy mode" by allowing easy simultaneous triggering of weapons, then we wouldn't have fire groups.

With more fire buttons though, you could further reduce your fire groups, and thereby reduce group cycling.

But yeah again, if, as usual, you want to employ the most effective weapon for the situation, and you have 9 fire buttons, then you will want to fire the correct weapon at the time it's needed, which requires some quick recollection of your mappings in the heat of the moment, which is a skill that can be developed.

I want effective precision firing. As it is right now, I waste thousands of cannon shells a day because I have to fire it with either my huge multi-cannons or my medium milti-cannons and lasers. It wouldn't make sense to have it tied with my corvette's 2 huge multi cannons as they are on the top of the ship and have a firing arc that is not the same as the ships keel mounted cannon. Like wise, the other hard points don't have a matching firing arc so i just end up wasting rounds and switching fire groups isn't fast enough.

I honestly dont understand why there is so much push back on the concept of another mappable fire button, lots of other games have them, including non flight sim type games. Even if you don't personally think its needed.... ive talked to plenty of people around the community that would use it.

Tell your friends,
Lets make this happen people.

Last edited:

this would be amazing! should be doable given the fact that heatsinks, SCB's and chaff can all have firegroup mappings as well as key-based triggers

Ok don't add additional fire buttons but put ALL utility items able to be assigned to a key like the heat sink/chaff.... I'm sick of switching fire groups to warrant scan and then losing my missile lock just because I switched and then switching back just to wait for the damn lock to re connect when I'm in a slower ship (python) it makes it hard to hit the target because of the slow turn speed then having to swap fire groups to get everything done just because you can't fire beam weapons switch to rail (to make the beam stop draining capacitor without losing missile lock. Maybe just allowing missiles to lock even when they aren't in the current fire group would be good enough but either way there needs to be at least 1 more fire or some direct keys for things I've managed to get mine down to 3 fire groups because some things don't work in analysis mode and others don't in combat and I only have 2 for damanging (beam, rail, missile) because I have to stop the beam in order to not drain the capacitor even tried 3 rail guns and 2 missiles but the turn speed so slow I get maybe 1 shot at least the beam can still hit them when they are above me.

Top Bottom