More fitting military titles

Something that bothers me quite a lot is how the military titles seem to be quite grandiose considering what it takes to acquire them, doubling up on the issues they cause by giving some players delusions of grandeur as they seem to think that they are actually a somebody in the galaxy rather than just an overglorified pizza delivery guy. Sure, you might have delivered the Friday night booze for the yearly Star Wars marathon weekend for Beta Cyronis B, but that doesn't make you a real Admiral.

With that in mind, I suggest that the current military titles should be renamed to make them fit better in terms of both relative importance as well as being more closely related to the decisively domestic promotional requirements that we currently see in-game:

As the Empire is modeled after the Roman Empire at some respects, I'd like if the players working for them were called the Auxililiarii and they whipped up some latin ranks for them. For the Fed navy, I think they are just honorary ranks, but they still sound overblown.

Something that bothers me quite a lot is how the military titles seem to be quite grandiose considering what it takes to acquire them, doubling up on the issues they cause by giving some players delusions of grandeur as they seem to think that they are actually a somebody in the galaxy rather than just an overglorified pizza delivery guy. Sure, you might have delivered the Friday night booze for the yearly Star Wars marathon weekend for Beta Cyronis B, but that doesn't make you a real Admiral.

With that in mind, I suggest that the current military titles should be renamed to make them fit better in terms of both relative importance as well as being more closely related to the decisively domestic promotional requirements that we currently see in-game:

View attachment 133828

I agree with your general assessment of the military titles.
For me the Imperial titles are most problematic. Most (all) of them are not military titles at all.
I would have rather seen a ranking system derived from old Roman military ranks. That fits in nicely with the Imperial theme.
I have been complaining about this for years, even before the game got released. They will not change it.
I feel really stupid being a so called King in the imperial army. And it doesn't matter in the game anyway. I am treated in Imperial space like any peasant, no matter my title.

See this silliness in RL and elsewhere a lot. Kentucky Colonels. The chief of a 3-man police dept. wearing 4-star general's insignia. Hotel valets dressed like admirals. Calling players Commanders. Star Trek having no enlisted ranks.
I like the idea of using 1st ed. AD&D level titles myself :)

Ensign (the lowest TOS rank) is a junior officer. Yeoman is a specialty, like navigator or science officer. You got me on DS9's CPO O'Brian.

Ensign (the lowest TOS rank) is a junior officer. Yeoman is a specialty, like navigator or science officer. You got me on DS9's CPO O'Brian.

Yeoman are enlisted ratings in the US Navy (it's an American franchise) and there are multiple grades of Chief referenced in ToS/TNG...O'Brian is just the most prominent one.

Strangely, I can't think of any enlisted officers in Voyager...then again, I prefer to think of Voyager as little as possible.

A rating isn't a rank. Yes, I did serve. my Rank was Seaman, or pay grade E-3. My rating was crypt. tech., interpret. (was paired with a yeoman at Def. Lang. Inst.)

A rating isn't a rank. Yes, I did serve. my Rank was Seaman, or pay grade E-3. My rating was crypt. tech., interpret. (was paired with a yeoman at Def. Lang. Inst.)

Yeah, I guess the rank I'm thinking of is one of the grades of Petty Officer.

As stated above by another poster, the in game ranks are not military titles & you cannot join the military of the respective superpowers in Elite Dangerous.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

A
As stated above by another poster, the in game ranks are not military titles & you cannot join the military of the respective superpowers in Elite Dangerous.

CMDR Justinian Octavius
And that's why I am suggesting to replace them with more fitting titles, which both removes the current confusion regarding the ranks as well as opening up the possibility of actual naval ranks in the future.

If we are just couriers, pizza delivery boys and the least servants of the most minor of nobles, then why not refer to us as such?

Yeah... trying to figure out Navy enlisted ranks is almost impossible for non-sailors. LOL. Thanks for your service, by the way.

Out of curiosity, are we able to achieve 'Prince' or 'King' status? (Or 'Admiral'?)

One of the things I liked about World of Warcraft is how NPCs would speak to your toon differently based on the toon's rep. For example, once Exalted rep was reached, NPCs would say things as you walked by like, "Hail Wonko! You honor us with your visit!"

Flight control does this to an extent in ED, but I think it would be awesome for the titles to change at Imperial/Federation systems so the player is addressed by rank once they reach a certain level:

"This Federation facility welcomes you, Yeoman."

Top Bottom