Horizons MORE immersion please. Triple monitors ?

If you are thinking of three decent monitors and don't (like me, because of headaches) want a VR, you could also go for a projector.
For the price or three monitors you will find a really nice one.

Well, I don't exactly get sick. I get migraines. And the sole looking around is beyond wonderful.

But for looking at menus, galaxy map and whatnot, I had to simply put the helmet down and use the monitor.
Maybe it'll get sorted out once production pieces are released. I would REALLY like that.

Last edited:
The streaching effect is pretty much invisible when actually playing, same as seeing something out of the corner of your eye.
You see whats in front of you, but can percieve whats beside you, but just makes the game so, so much more immersive.

Think of driving, you only see the road in front, but you still percieve whats around you.

Screenshot dont show it, playing does.

Exactly this, the side monitors are perfect for you peripheral vision and adds massively to the immersion factor. The stretching is only visible when you turn your head and look directly at the monitor. Personally I'll never go back to a single screen gaming setup, but VR will probably trump it for immersion.

Hi cmdrs

So, I'm looking for more immersion. I'm looking at the trackIR 5 and am considering triple monitors. I have asked a tech youtuber for some help and would like some feedback from you guys who already have this setup. My present monitor is Samsung S27D39oH 1920 X 1080p. I have GTX 960 4gb card & also have another slot on my board. Please don't mention 4k as a slap in the face often offends...... I do have a budget you know !
Disclaimer: Unless you can find one for less than £300 :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...led-monitor-black-um.uv6ee.001-mo-082-ac.html or save and save and save and...well, you get the idea and get 3 of these. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...en-curved-led-monitor-black-re-mo-089-as.html. You need to save and save as you need 3 Titan x to run them
Now, about that slap in the face :eek:

Last edited:
I recommend you EDTracker instead of TrackIR 5. You can buy a built-in one so you just have to put the tracker on your headset and calibrate. Its like 50$, and imho I don´t need the triple monitor. And like the other people are talking about: wait for VR if you can affor it and a new ultramegazord PC that can move smoothly Horizons in VR.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/acer...led-monitor-black-um.uv6ee.001-mo-082-ac.html or save and save and save and...well, you get the idea and get 3 of these. https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...en-curved-led-monitor-black-re-mo-089-as.html. You need to save and save as you need 3 Titan x to run them
Now, about that slap in the face :eek:
Blimey ! ...... I really need to get a grip of myself because this might just get out of hand £££££. That Looks a great deal. But i ALREADY have 2 monitors that don't really match up ( colour wise ) samsung & acer). I just bought a 'Ferrera corner desk' ( should just fit inside the ship launched fighters cockpit :) but may have to get another one for my grandson when he joins me in the anaconda ) and because of it's shape I can't really go beyond 27" for 3 monitors because they wont fit. I tried to get the track IR 5 but flightstore have sold out. I looked on ebay but there are so many people bidding for the remaining few. Amazon have them but are overpriced...... all this just to play Elite ! ...... but hey, it's worth it. Flightstore will email me when they get some more in. VR looks exciting, but i think I'll be waiting towards end of the year before considering that option.

Last edited:
Blimey ! ...... I really need to get a grip of myself because this might just get out of hand £££££. That Looks a great deal. But i ALREADY have 2 monitors that don't really match up ( colour wise ) samsung & acer). I just bought a 'Ferrera corner desk' ( should just fit inside the ship launched fighters cockpit :) but may have to get another one for my grandson when he joins me in the anaconda ) and because of it's shape I can't really go beyond 27" for 3 monitors because they wont fit. I tried to get the track IR 5 but flightstore have sold out. I looked on ebay but there are so many people bidding for the remaining few. Amazon have them but are overpriced...... all this just to play Elite ! ...... but hey, it's worth it. Flightstore will email me when they get some more in. VR looks exciting, but i think I'll be waiting towards end of the year before considering that option.

http://rcsimulations.co.uk/epages/9...d-847d-4ca9-8b2d-6a951e9b272d/Categories/TIR5

For the price it is (cheaper than mine when I got it from flightstore) go for the bundle. TrackIR5 plus the Pro-Clip. But its still cheap for the basic TrackIR5 plus vector clip. Incidentally, I use the vector clip as it seems more accurate in ED. IMHO, once you try it, you will wonder just why you never had 1 at the start. I wouldn't be without mine TBH.

Last edited:
Hi cmdrs

So, I'm looking for more immersion. I'm looking at the trackIR 5 and am considering triple monitors. I have asked a tech youtuber for some help and would like some feedback from you guys who already have this setup. My present monitor is Samsung S27D39oH 1920 X 1080p. I have GTX 960 4gb card & also have another slot on my board. Please don't mention 4k as a slap in the face often offends...... I do have a budget you know !
Disclaimer: Unless you can find one for less than £300 :)

Personally, I would go with 5 if I could...

I run pretty high settings, will fire up fraps on my next play and edit* this post with some numbers.
*EDIT: I get about 80-100 in supercruise. 60-80 flying around hubs. 40-50 inside big stations.
On planets it varies a lot, depends on the type of texture, terrain etc. Closing in on the big bases for landing, within 1000 meters, drops the fps to between 22-30. On the landing pad it's back up to 30-40. Flying is generally 30-40 if I'm 2kms over ground. Driving the SRV inside the big bases is also pretty demanding 25-30fps, but increases out in the open.

Thanks ... to me that's too low as to be unplayable, i know as i get about that with my 690 at triple screen res. I think i've been spoiled by 60fps to be honest, as i get slightly nauseous/motion sick driving around with less.

Running an nVidia EVGA 980 FTW and can get 60fps with trip screens... Have ED Horizons with frame rate locked at 60fps and can run planet surface, deep space and stations smoothly...

skimming along planet surface...
2016-01-05_00012.jpg

Deep Space...
2016-01-05_00016.jpg

In a station...
2016-01-05_00019.jpg

Last edited:
One thing that would be nice for triple screen and 21:9 wide screen users is to have the option to have the side screens up without turning to view them

I run 3 screens, at 5040x1050, on an SLI pair of GTX960s.
The screens are 3D-capable Samsung 2233s, which run at 1680x1050 each. They worked as triple without the 2nd card, but the outputs needed juggling to get the 120Hz needed for 3D. This monitor only has DVI ports, and I had to convert one of the Displayport ports.

It works very nicely, and since they are not 1080 screens, the ratio is better at this width.
I haven't turned the 3D on for a while.
Now I have been reading on here about head tracking, that's the next step.

Having side screens make manoeuvring much easier, as you know what is to the side of you. There's less reliance on the radar.
This depends on the cockpit though. Tie fighters in Star Wars games have no side windows...

After familiarising myself with the requirements to run 3 monitors, my GTX 960 may not give me enough. With the upcoming pascal technology which allegedly will give 10X the performance i would probably be better of waiting for that.
Grrrrr wait for pascal, .................wait for my trackIR,......... wait for VR........ wait for the bugs to get fixed ;)

Waiting for the next great thing is pointless when it comes to electronics.
Just buy what you can afford now an enjoy it. No matter what you get it will be outdated shortly anyway.

VR is in it's infant state with performance, FOV and resolution issues, and with today's release news from Oculus rift of a price tag of 600 dollars and rumors of a limited amount of units. I suspect there will be a long time before it's widely available for a reasonable price to the average gamer.

Waiting for the next great thing is pointless when it comes to electronics.
Just buy what you can afford now an enjoy it. No matter what you get it will be outdated shortly anyway...
Generally, this is correct. My 780ti for example, is just as good as a 970. Sad.

However, Pascal really is supposed to be a jump up with GPU tech/performance. I think people who buy a 980/980ti right now will be sorry in 6 mos, given VR's true requirements and the jump in performance with Pascal.

One thing that would be nice for triple screen and 21:9 wide screen users is to have the option to have the side screens up without turning to view them

I've thought this for sure. The game needs to have independent screen to monitor support. Then you could create your own home cockpit. side monitors wouldn't just be a stretched extended view of the front but have the game allow you to set the default visible area for each monitor. Then have support for trackIR so you can turn your head to a side monitor and have it pop the menu without it rotating the cockpit around your three monitors. Yes its more expensive than VR but some people would prefer an option to NOT have goggles on their head, and also to allow friends to enjoy watching you play.

Something like the Virtual World Mechwarrior cockpits.

Top Bottom