General More Scary Monsters in Space please

Non-Thargoid scary monsters in space would be cool enough to keep veteran players busy until the mythical big update comes later this decade. Get all Lovecraftian up in here, it's fine.
Complete with harvestable naturally occurring resources for sale on the black market for us adventurous types.

Submit your scary alien monster concepts below to help inspire the team, boys and girls.

Example image by Chris Voy, discovered on ArtStation.

Attachments

• chris-voy-solo-spacemonsterheaddetailc6-wgw.jpg
    chris-voy-solo-spacemonsterheaddetailc6-wgw.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 774
Lol I didn't even make it in time to predict the inevitable "but muh realism" response. Bummer

latest

Yes please, anything to make space less boring. And also a big +1 for going full Lovecraftian.

OgdruJahad.jpg

Drop a few Thargoidian Elder Gods in the middle of the Bubble and make the Thargoid invasion something tangible instead of the sad optional side quest it currently is. Why not let them destroy all stations while we're at it, leaving only player FCs around for docking and repairs.

That would certainly make things interesting

No, thank you.
Elite is more a Sci-Fi game, not Fantasy. What we have goes well beyond Sci part already.
I appreciate that we don't have this kind of cheap monsters anywhere.

We have discovered organisms that can live in the vacuum,
-Everything We Know About Tardigrades, the Only Animal That Can Survive in Space. Tardigrades are one of the most fascinating creatures on Earth and the moon. The mysterious microscopic critters landed on the lunar surface back in August 2019 in what sounded like the beginning of a sci-fi thriller.

So maybe a jacked up Tardigrade?

It's a video game

It is art. It is entertainment. It doesn't need to be scientifically plausible to be justified except for the satisfaction of those weak in imagination, those clinging to consensus reality as their only acceptable frame of reference. And I will forever crusade against such.

My Elder Gods eat your tardigrades for breakfast.
Fiction based on science and realism is an art direction as much as medieval, or lovercraftian Fantasy.
But we have enough overblown fantasy creations in majority of games. I personally enjoy Elite as it is - more grounded in reality.

As for lacking in imagination - reality is actually more fascinating and more fantastic than any fantasy people can came up with. It's rarely cheap, though.
I would say that those who really lack imagination tend to fill everything with big monsters (that are usually bigger copies of things they know), big swords and lots of other cliches.

We have discovered organisms that can live in the vacuum,
-Everything We Know About Tardigrades, the Only Animal That Can Survive in Space. Tardigrades are one of the most fascinating creatures on Earth and the moon. The mysterious microscopic critters landed on the lunar surface back in August 2019 in what sounded like the beginning of a sci-fi thriller.

So maybe a jacked up Tardigrade?
We have various creatures living in deep space in Elite. Plant-like organisms and non sapient creatures like Molluscs and such.
I don't mind them - I would mind gigantic dragonlike, or fishlike beings that hunt spaceships for some reason.

Fiction based on science and realism is an art direction as much as medieval, or lovercraftian Fantasy.
But we have enough overblown fantasy creations in majority of games. I personally enjoy Elite as it is - more grounded in reality.

As for lacking in imagination - reality is actually more fascinating and more fantastic than any fantasy people can came up with. It's rarely cheap, though.
I would say that those who really lack imagination tend to fill everything with big monsters (that are usually bigger copies of things they know), big swords and lots of other cliches.

We have various creatures living in deep space in Elite. Plant-like organisms and non sapient creatures like Molluscs and such.
I don't mind them - I would mind gigantic dragonlike, or fishlike beings that hunt spaceships for some reason.
Yup I agree, I mean if some critter did evolve into a giant nebula prowling monster, I'd expect it to feed on something like gas clouds and be evolved to do that by some form of chemical process and radiation basking, but not evolved to eat random space ships. Of course if it was a proto-molecule type energy vampire it might be attracted to your drive plume or powerplant. Still it most likely wouldn't look like a giant dragon with big nasty teeth! Then again if such a 'monster' did exist, it might be part of some ecosystem that did include some type of predator, or more of it's own species that did/could cannibalize, so maybe something would reflexively try to eat a ship, or attach itself to your ship causing hull, or PP, or drive damage until it was removed by overheating or a SLF to pew pew it.

But the current POIs like floating crystals, space mushrooms and wierd little plants on planets, of a handful of variations, that mostly vary only by color across vast distances in space gets old pretty quick. It was a cool addition at the time but 'seen one, you've seen em' all' is pretty much how I feel about them now.
I do like the electrical storms, they're pretty cool to fly through and they do actually damage your ship. It would be interesting if there was something highly valuable to be mined from inside them, requiring you to take damage/risk to obtain it, so you'd need a specialized ship to do it. Scanner, mining lasers or sample collectors, repair limpets, collector limpets, afmu, cargo space obviously. This could give FC a role as deep space mining platform for this rare, valuable commodity. Return your FC back to the bubble to sell, or enlist space truckers to haul it back to the bubble for you, negotiate some buy/sell prices, idk, but I can see some potential there.

I've been eye rolling every game/movie that's got a tentacle monster/god since Pirates of the Caribbean did it in 2006. Its over done.
Yup I agree, I mean if some critter did evolve into a giant nebula prowling monster, I'd expect it to feed on something like gas clouds and be evolved to do that by some form of chemical process and radiation basking, but not evolved to eat random space ships.
this could be cool, however the main problem is
'seen one, you've seen em' all'
creatures prowling in gas giants however would be awesome

I've been eye rolling every game/movie that's got a tentacle monster/god since Pirates of the Caribbean did it in 2006. Its over done.

I'm sure it's not too subtle when you do it!

1587187045657.png

reality is actually more fascinating and more fantastic than any fantasy people can came up with.

The imaginary being the superset here that can include all of consensus reality and phenomena that cannot be represented by consensus reality, I can only disagree with this.

Lol I didn't even make it in time to predict the inevitable "but muh realism" response. Bummer

latest

Yes please, anything to make space less boring. And also a big +1 for going full Lovecraftian.

OgdruJahad.jpg

Drop a few Thargoidian Elder Gods in the middle of the Bubble and make the Thargoid invasion something tangible instead of the sad optional side quest it currently is. Why not let them destroy all stations while we're at it, leaving only player FCs around for docking and repairs.

That would certainly make things interesting
we still technicaly havent seen a full on thargoid hive or thargoid capital drone/queen yet. You think they would have bio-engineered something like that since they basically engineered a hierarchy of sentient drones that carry thargons.

Non-Thargoid scary monsters in space would be cool enough to keep veteran players busy until the mythical big update comes later this decade. Get all Lovecraftian up in here, it's fine.
Complete with harvestable naturally occurring resources for sale on the black market for us adventurous types.

Submit your scary alien monster concepts below to help inspire the team, boys and girls.

Example image by Chris Voy, discovered on ArtStation.
giant space worms from star wars? or maybe the space squids that siphon dilithium and/or hydrogen?

I would mind gigantic dragonlike, or fishlike beings that hunt spaceships for some reason.
What dangers are there to explorers?
1. High G planets
2.Neutron stars/ overheating
3. Other Commanders
4.NPC's
Why not have something else out there to worry about? And no, it doesn't have to be space dragons. But SOMETHING to watch out for...

If we're going a more scientific route, how about a giant Tardigrade?

Attachments

• https___blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2017_10_burnham-solo.jpg
    https___blogs-images.forbes.com_startswithabang_files_2017_10_burnham-solo.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 133
  • Ripper.jpg
    Ripper.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 252
'seen one, you've seen em' all

Clearly you have never studied the Cambrian explosion, or been to Singapore? ;p

I like the 'basis in reality' forms we have in the game right now personally. They might not DO much (unless they're the ammonia based thargoid type) but that's what I like about them. The natural world often happens on a time scale we only don't appreciate because we see the world so much on the human time scale. The mushroom type animals, eating the airless worlds in ED right now, would likely have taken centuries or millenia to grow in vacuum, feeding off the dirt, and this makes them fascinating, to me at any rate, because I've been trying to work out how traits relate to soil and materials conditions. If they were chasing me I probably wouldn't hang about.

Rather than throw believability away for a short term fix, bringing in one off fantasy creatures that when you're seen one you've STILL seen 'em all, I'd rather the devs develop alien ecosystems for water worlds etc. The Silurian seas (on Earth circe 420 million years ago) would have been awesome to witness, as would the fungi forests that first colonised land. Gorgonopsids came later but are the sort of terrestrial creatures that would be far more interesting for me than even maelstrom creatures and I tend to think that if the fantasy gets overdone in space, nothing on land would ever be as 'different' after.

Top Bottom