Moving from PS4 to PS5

At some point I hope to be getting a PS5. I’m concerned that in the past i have had issues with some games saves (NMS, Skyrim and Fallout).

if and when I get a PS5, is it simply a matter of downloading Elite Dangerous and linking my frontier account and I’m good to go?

thanks

Hey there!!!

Once you have ELITE downloaded/installed, I’m guessing you just need to transfer your saves from PSPlus.

I’ll be in the same boat as you later this year (if I can actually get a hold of one of these rare beasts the PS5 hath become).

o7

I backed up all my saves to cloud, then did a PS4 to PS5 transfer via wifi (fairly smooth process), and then redownloaded saves (for Elite it's just control settings, as cmdr data is on their servers).

No need to relink your PSN account to FDev account.

Hi, I have had a PS5 for a while and since this is an online game, I can only assume you will need to sign in and you will be good to go. If not there is a setting to transfer game data from the PS4. In fact it should show up as soon as you turn it on. Have a safe flight cmdr!

Assuming you have PS-Plus, just make sure all Application Data is synced up to the PSN servers and then you can sync it back down again to the PS5. Your CMDR save is on the FDev servers, anyway, so it’s actually only your settings (keybindings, etc) that need syncing this way but those would be pretty annoying to lose, for me at least!

I switched a month or so ago and it was seemless: running on Quality settings with frame rates as good or better than I got on the PS4-Pro on Performance, I would say.

Reading some information about the use of external hard drives for PS4 games on the PS5, if you safe your games from the PS4 to an external HDD and plug that drive in the PS5, it should find it and work.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Reading some information about the use of external hard drives for PS4 games on the PS5, if you safe your games from the PS4 to an external HDD and plug that drive in the PS5, it should find it and work.
It does. I moved Elite Dangerous to the external drive to make room for PS5 games. It's obviously a bit slower to load.

The PS4 Plus version never got 4K and the Xbox version did so it’s pretty much the same game but with no 4K and it runs faster. Sound still cuts out on loading screen though - not sure about SRV.

I was a little underwhelmed by ED performance on PS5. Aside from improvements in frame rate and load times, graphical fidelity was only marginally better. Personally I experienced quite a few crashes and reverted to running it on a vanilla PS4. The gains in performance didn't feel significant enough to sacrifice storage and stability for me.

Top Bottom