Murder rates increasing

snip
This is what I would call murder or "ganking". Piracy would involve robbery or making demands of some sort. This is, of course, just my opinion.
Hehe, ok ok...'my opinion' so we can add fuel to the fire!

Assault: illegal aggression that presumes intent to murder
  • Technically, assault doesn't necessitate intent to murder
  • Assault is simply illegally engaging in aggression with a target
Murder: the illegal destruction of a target
  • Target must be legal
  • Target can be inferior, superior, or matched
  • Mass Murder will likely involve ganking, but doesn't necessarily have to
  • Mass Murder can involve griefing, but usually does not
Smuggling: the illegal transportation of goods
  • The goods don't have to be illegal, just their transportation
  • Destruction or aggression play no role in smuggling - instead, they elevate it to piracy
Piracy: the illegal attempt to acquire goods.
  • Target can themselves be illegal, too
  • Piracy is defined by the possession of the goods - the goods do not belong to the pirate, in other words
  • Pirates technically cannot 'pirate' other pirates. That's just repossessing already stolen goods
  • Piracy can involve destruction, as is typical for salvaging pirates - what matters is the illicit pursuit of goods
  • Piracy doesn't require the actual acquisition of goods, just the illegal attempt to acquire goods
  • The above does, however, differentiate 'good' pirates from 'stupid' pirates. All pirates are bad, so the point is moot.
Ganking: the illegal destruction of inferior targets
  • The action must be illegal
  • The target must be considered inferior: unable to reasonably defend or escape aggression
  • 'Why' the ganking occurs has no bearing on the action - you can be both a ganker and a pirate, for example
Griefing: The repetitious aggression of a non-consenting target
  • The skill or lack thereof of the target has no bearing on the action
  • Repetition is what makes griefing different from piracy or ganking
  • Griefing does not apply to many targets: that is just mass ganking or piracy, as it isn't repetitious to the individual targets
  • If target repeatedly encounters griefer willfully they are consenting, and therefore not being griefed
  • Given the above, Mass Murders usually don't usually involve griefing because targets will either intentionally subject themselves - consensual - or will avoid conflict, and thus repetitious targeting, both of which nullify griefing
Camping: the illegal restriction or threat of restriction of movement
  • Camping does not require destruction or even direct interaction
  • Camping is merely the threat of murder or assault, not their actual actions
  • Camping only occurs if it actually restricts the movement of the target - if the target ignores the threat and escapes the camp, they weren't being camped
  • Camping is 'illegal' in game rules, but not actual in-game laws because it can't be reported to in-game authorities
  • Given the above, if there were no 'rules' for the game...Camping would not be illegal, unless the threat was enforced with an illegal action
  • Typically, but not always, Camping is established after illegal actions have already occurred.
  • Given the above, Camping is usually only effective before illegal actions if the Camper has a reputation that reinforces the validity of their threat to target
  • Technically, Camping is an act of Griefing as it is a continuous - and therefore repetitious - illegal action against a non-consenting target
Not sure what I'm missing...I think that's all of it.

Hehe, ok ok...'my opinion' so we can add fuel to the fire!

Assault: illegal aggression that presumes intent to murder
  • Technically, assault doesn't necessitate intent to murder
  • Assault is simply illegally engaging in aggression with a target
Murder: the illegal destruction of a target
  • Target must be legal
  • Target can be inferior, superior, or matched
  • Mass Murder will likely involve ganking, but doesn't necessarily have to
  • Mass Murder can involve griefing, but usually does not
Smuggling: the illegal transportation of goods
  • The goods don't have to be illegal, just their transportation
  • Destruction or aggression play no role in smuggling - instead, they elevate it to piracy
Piracy: the illegal attempt to acquire goods.
  • Target can themselves be illegal, too
  • Piracy is defined by the possession of the goods - the goods do not belong to the pirate, in other words
  • Pirates technically cannot 'pirate' other pirates. That's just repossessing already stolen goods
  • Piracy can involve destruction, as is typical for salvaging pirates - what matters is the illicit pursuit of goods
  • Piracy doesn't require the actual acquisition of goods, just the illegal attempt to acquire goods
  • The above does, however, differentiate 'good' pirates from 'stupid' pirates. All pirates are bad, so the point is moot.
Ganking: the illegal destruction of inferior targets
  • The action must be illegal
  • The target must be considered inferior: unable to reasonably defend or escape aggression
  • 'Why' the ganking occurs has no bearing on the action - you can be both a ganker and a pirate, for example
Griefing: The repetitious aggression of a non-consenting target
  • The skill or lack thereof of the target has no bearing on the action
  • Repetition is what makes griefing different from piracy or ganking
  • Griefing does not apply to many targets: that is just mass ganking or piracy, as it isn't repetitious to the individual targets
  • If target repeatedly encounters griefer willfully they are consenting, and therefore not being griefed
  • Given the above, Mass Murders usually don't usually involve griefing because targets will either intentionally subject themselves - consensual - or will avoid conflict, and thus repetitious targeting, both of which nullify griefing
Camping: the illegal restriction or threat of restriction of movement
  • Camping does not require destruction or even direct interaction
  • Camping is merely the threat of murder or assault, not their actual actions
  • Camping only occurs if it actually restricts the movement of the target - if the target ignores the threat and escapes the camp, they weren't being camped
  • Camping is 'illegal' in game rules, but not actual in-game laws because it can't be reported to in-game authorities
  • Given the above, if there were no 'rules' for the game...Camping would not be illegal, unless the threat was enforced with an illegal action
  • Typically, but not always, Camping is established after illegal actions have already occurred.
  • Given the above, Camping is usually only effective before illegal actions if the Camper has a reputation that reinforces the validity of their threat to target
  • Technically, Camping is an act of Griefing as it is a continuous - and therefore repetitious - illegal action against a non-consenting target
Not sure what I'm missing...I think that's all of it.
Unfortunately your definition of “griefing” matches my definition of “area denial”.

It doesn’t matter WHY someone chooses to make an area hot. There are lots of reasons. “Area denial” just means ANYONE who goes there is a target.
“Don’t go here - or be ready to fight”

But I think (like a lot of people) he didn’t realise that in Gateway you are either hurting or helping the Alliance. I should have killed him a few times to make him take his rando mission running elsewhere.
have been telling you guys all along, alliance is the same scum as feds and imps, just poorer.

sorry, mr self entitled, to happen to be running missions in your own private galaxy like a filthy infidel! :D

actually, things being different you would be giving me a good motivation to do exactly that. but i bet you must be already really enraged about cheats upsetting your precious bgs. there's an interesting thread about it, go take a look, and have your say :p

The lack of seeing other players, is that typical for you?

*side note - I I like your avatar. I always enjoyed the "concept" of JAM/KLF but never fully subscribed.
Thanks. I'm a fan of both KLF and the Illuminatus Trilogy, which has references to Bob Dobbs in it. My squadron title is Subgenius :D

As for lack of seeing other players, pretty much. A lot of the open experience depends on where you are, and i operate in the middle of alliance territory, which seems rather quiet a lot of the time. I've just done a run of half a dozen systems doing courier missions (in my 800+ m/s Viper Mk3 - so even if interdicted by a murder hobo i'd just laugh as they ate my space dust). I saw just 1 other CMDR, docked at a station. Didn't see anyone in SC in any of the systems i travelled through.

Of course, if i go somewhere like Shinrarta or Deciat, i will see other players most of the time. However, when i do, i tend to fly something fast, and strangely enough, i don't get bothered. I think the gankers know they would just be wasting their time.

Unfortunately your definition of “griefing” matches my definition of “area denial”.

It doesn’t matter WHY someone chooses to make an area hot. There are lots of reasons. “Area denial” just means ANYONE who goes there is a target.
“Don’t go here - or be ready to fight”
No no, area denial is more akin to camping than griefing - but it is a form of illegal restriction that isn't repetitive, and thus not griefing.

You see - if you restrict movement in an area, it can't really be griefing unless the target is stuck in said area. If, however, you kill the target (or run them off with an assault), you can't grief them as you can't repetitiously assault, murder, or restrict them illegally.

You can 'camp' a station - which is an act of griefing for those stuck inside or required to get inside (like with a mission destination). But the odd commander who just wants to dock there for fuel, or to shop parts or what have you...he isn't being griefed because it can't be continuous unless he chooses it to be. Which makes it consensual, and thus not griefing.

The catches to griefing are non-consensual, illegal, and repetitive. If any of those three are missing, it isn't griefing.

Also, keep in mind that repetition is defined by the individual target - not many targets. If your area denial affects many commanders, but none of them repetitively over a short period of time, it isn't griefing - it's just illegal restriction of movement, which will just be mass murder and/or mass assault.

During the last couple of weeks I was visiting a few Engineers in Open and met nobody. Could have many reasons: Daytime, instancing due to geographic distances or just by not using any sort of port forwarding, so that I'd need at least one commander with open ports to be visible. History shows a few commanders every once in a while, though I never actually "saw" them.

Same old pattern. Someone encounters some players who try to kill him without a word, perhaps even succeed. He gets to forums and wonders about their motivations and people get awfully defensive. But yes, I have noted the increase of these players around Deciat especially. Used to be that when I got into these starting engineer spots, I might get someone attacking me, but the last time I went to Deciat, there was at least 3 of them there. The fellow who interdicted me was really persistent too. Followed to another system even. Luckily I had seen the Inara reports and made to sure go use my fast Courier in Open.

This. I've been hit several times in the past week by commanders who simply interdict and then open fire, with no comms or indication why they want to kill me. As I stated earlier, I typically fly in open, and accept murder as part of the game. I'm just curious why and I've noticed an uptick in this sort of activity.
You probably know why. Open gaming with no restriction just attracts every cretinous loser going. It's driven many a player away from open entirely (myself including). I play in Mobius now....which is basically solo on PS4. Just accept some people are anti-social and derive fun from trying to ruin other people's game experience. Braben has already intimated in the past he is acutely aware how this behaviour tends to ruin open mmo type games. The uptick in ganking is ironically likely to lead to restrictions on ganking.

have been telling you guys all along, alliance is the same scum as feds and imps, just poorer.

sorry, mr self entitled, to happen to be running missions in your own private galaxy like a filthy infidel! :D

actually, things being different you would be giving me a good motivation to do exactly that. but i bet you must be already really enraged about cheats upsetting your precious bgs. there's an interesting thread about it, go take a look, and have your say :p
Dude, If you are running missions in Achenar, Nanomam, Rhea, Gateway, then you are either working FOR or AGAINST that power.

There are no “If”s or “but”s.
Everything you do affects the BGS.

It’s a big galaxy, do some homework about the system you are in and who it belongs to - or go somewhere else.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Ask yourself, what's special about Deciat? There are two obvious reasons for ganking there:
(1) It's the first engineer players unlock, so you can find inexperienced pilots to attack.
(2) There's a good chance that someone arriving there has just trogged all the way from Maia with one meta-alloy on board: max salt if you destroy them.

I just don't think people who are attracted to inexperienced victims and salt will be at all interested in a place where real PvP is on offer. Providing PvP content therefore won't change the situation in Deciat at all.
This.

There might not be a lot of complex gameplay in ED related to PvP but, frankly, combat isn't a terribly complex pursuit.
PvPers who genuinely want to fight other PvPers can surely join factions/squadrons in order to get their pew-pew jollies.

It's kind of like driving your car like a loony and then moaning that you're only doing it 'cos there isn't a racing circuit nearby.
If you actually wanted to race against other people who also wanted to race, you'd make the effort to go to a racing circuit.
If you don't, chances are that all you really want is to act like a tool.

Of course, there are heaps of PvPers who like to test themselves against other players with similar intentions.
There are also plenty of jerks though.

Dude, If you are running missions in Achenar, Nanomam, Rhea, Gateway, then you are either working FOR or AGAINST that power.

There are no “If”s or “but”s.
Everything you do affects the BGS.

It’s a big galaxy, do some homework about the system you are in and who it belongs to - or go somewhere else.
Well, if you sort your void Opal pricing I might dump a few loads.
See, a Fed prepared to help Alliance. (y)

Top Bottom