MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

46277014701_399599933a_o.png

...Under Construction...

Important Links:

"Geology, perhaps more than any other department of natural philosophy, is a science of contemplation. It requires no experience or complicated apparatus, no minute processes upon the unknown processes of matter. It demands only an enquiring mind and senses alive to the facts almost everywhere presented in nature. And as it may be acquired without much difficulty, so it may be improved without much painful exertion."

— Sir Humphry Davy

UPDATE!!!

Oh wow, it has been a long time see i've come to this page. Oh how I've missed those days of old, spending hours upon hours, flying low, hoping to catch a glimpse smoke on the horizon. With the approaching Alpha, I once again look forward to filling this thread with beautiful shots of the wonderful geologic creations that we will be able to see up close and personal. Join me, won't you.

MWSOG: The RETURN
COMING SOON​

Last edited:
After looking to some videos on youtube i came across this location (credit goes to the video author, linked below, i just followed the video coordinates):

System: SOL
Planetary body: ACTAEA
Coordinates: roughly 59.2 / 31.5 (see screenshots for better coordinates, it's an area, persistent)

At the moment of my arrival they were inactive. There are several of them scattered around the area. There are several different Crystal formations, all of them giving vanadium. Upon observation it seems like these crystal formation are spawned over a short period of time. While inactive the geysers do emit a faint black smoke while producing a gurgling sound.

Concerning sound, i hope that the scanner sound for them will get tweaked, it is actually (in my opinion) almost unbearable while using an headset, an high pitched sound that is persistent if you are in an area surrounded from geological features like this. Please cmdrs, try to get there and report back about your experience with the scanner sound. It is really annoying.

Some screenshot (resized at 1366x768), i'm actually still there to see if (when) they come alive.

Link to the youtube video showing them active: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fYNXUyp_OA

8j0Bx1c.png

zfUPmMr.png

ltIf5z4.png

oz78XQm.png

8cnUUFQ.png

4HVX30r.png

mfGTEin.png

Last edited:
Awesome! That video of the spewing geyser is what I'm looking for. That was cool and pretty intense. Agreed the SRV Wavescanner noise for these is very jarring, especially with headphones.

[h=2]So it looks like the new Geysers and Fumaroles are bugged....check coord to confirm Enceldus top: 55.1 bottom: 45.6 to confirm[/h]

Great Stuff Raptargh for organising this thread.
I had plans to catalogue and gather data after that night shift to help the search , but i shall go into that in more detail after a good sleep with tomorrow off to continue as there is much to organise.
Locations so far, will gather them tomorrow , we have Enceldus which i have not visited yet. Actaea which has 3 known sites,, 2 fumers and 1 geyser. 1 small site in the pleiades nearby barnacles, the muddy burp fumer with green gas sometimes.
HR 8546 3c was the firey fumerole i found last night.

Gathering more info on that new site, i found the system map planet map was only useful as a general guide. 2 areas i noted from system map, but orbital cruise more sites were visible, most likely not visible on system map scale.

Locating new search area i quickly found another, but more on that in a second,, will sign off with that for the night.
Few ideas on gathering data. Was planning to gather images of each site with ,
1. Orbital screenshot before dropping to glide of area maybe useful,
2. 25km above site on planet, get a area view of the site, mark location on image.
3. 2km above the POI site. Get a idea of the size of each site and density and activity from visible erruptions. Fumeroles i thought were in a smaller area, but found others spread out over larger areas.
4. Close up of features, are they all the same type or is there variety.. Mainly i first presumed there were maybe one or two types, Fumeroles seemed round and muddy or 3 rocks in a ring. Geysers small round holes wet looking rock or mud.
5. Emission types and materials. Can vary on colour from site to site. Green grey yellow gasses seen, Water eruptions splashing all way up to geyser eruptions of water , firey gas emissions or firey sparks.
Materials seen so far Piceous Cobble, metal lumpy rock clump , can vary in colour from site to site. Crystal fragments/cluster Needle crystal, seen in green and grey so far.
6. So far also noted many areas have random POI nearby , Large old POI ( wrecks/buildings etc ), Medium sized POI , the small POI has often been nearby. Unsure if this is common or not, further reports from others please. Thinking that the persistant small fumerole/geyser POI may generate nearby random POI.

I am trying to be brief here as this was a quick run down of ideas i was thinking while at work.

Created this to give an idea of the small POI for fumeroles and geysers at range and close,, up to 5-6km they appear, height has no effect, they appear even at 16km but still need to be above and near them.
weZJGj6.jpg
[/IMG]

Planned to check on other red dot site on HR 8546 to see if could confirm any other site there. That was less useful as i found more sites visible from orbital cruise. Picking one soon located something AMAZING>

Here is where we really dont give FD enough credit. We moan too much. Expect it all before beta has even finished.
The sneek peeks at elite meet showed Massive geysers like what people may expect on Enceldus, it seemed the SRV was even blasted upwards driving over it.
Until FD upload that and we can find the location and system from SRV cockpit which was visible , we will have to continue to search for these places.

What i presumed of Fumeroles was just blown out of the water when i found this. Chimneys,, larger fumerole site. It has blown me away in its awesomeness. The site seems quite dormant , grey smoke on occasion but what a sight.

Album of images collected at the 2 sites. a few from firey fumeroles and more from the chimney site.
http://imgur.com/a/l6ArE

Here is the best fumerole i've seen , and i think might be best i see for quite a while ,, spectacular. HR 8546 3c -86.5 44.7
[video=youtube_share;jCw_EbBY5xA]https://youtu.be/jCw_EbBY5xA[/video]

Enjoy, and back soon.

added: Video from last nights 1st site same planet,. firey fumeroles site. 98.0 -8.0
[video=youtube;pYmv1_2i7ww]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYmv1_2i7ww[/video]

Last edited:
Awesome! After seeing the video provided I am much more excited knowing that those grand ones are out there somewhere to be found. Just wish things would be much easier, doesn't need to be given to me but at least make it simple. Those Fumaroles look beastly, like to see those going off.

Hopefully this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but I need a crash course on how to use the Coordinates when navigating to a specific surface location. This is one aspect of the game that I have never taken the time to learn, and now with these cool new surface features, AND this cool thread, the time has come to finally figure this out! (and Thanks guys! For putting this growing collection together!)

Basically... What is the most efficient way to navigate using supplied coordinates like the ones you guys are providing here? It doesn't appear that the ship has any way of navigating to specific coordinates. I mean, you can't punch in a LAT/LONG and tell the ship to go there.

I should preface my ignorance on this topic by stating that I was initially put off from learning how to navigate using Coordinates when they were originally backwards on the scanner display or otherwise screwed up and difficult or impossible to use for finding a specific surface location using any method.

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I saw that video from yesterday's Elite Meet showing the new geysers in action. If you guys haven't checked that out yet, you are in for a treat! These were spectacular examples of this new feature! This video, which was produced and shown by Frontier even shows an SRV driving up to, and then driving right over one of these spewing geysers and immediately upon centering over the vent, the SRV literally takes off like a rocket straight up into the air! This particular vent had so much force that the SRV was propelled several hundred feet straight up! They showed this scene both from the SRV cockpit perspective as well as from a remote camera. It was awesome!

I am not sure where those particular geysers were located, but boy oh boy! The more active examples of these things are going to be amazing to see in person AND to play around with! :D

Last edited:
Hopefully this doesn't sound like a stupid question, but I need a crash course on how to use the Coordinates when navigating to a specific surface location. This is one aspect of the game that I have never taken the time to learn, and now with these cool new surface features, AND this cool thread, the time has come to finally figure this out! (and Thanks guys! For putting this growing collection together!)

Basically... What is the most efficient way to navigate using supplied coordinates like the ones you guys are providing here? It doesn't appear that the ship has any way of navigating to specific coordinates. I mean, you can't punch in a LAT/LONG and tell the ship to go there.

I should preface my ignorance on this topic by stating that I was initially put off from learning how to navigate using Coordinates when they were originally backwards on the scanner display or otherwise screwed up and difficult or impossible to use for finding a specific surface location using any method.

Thanks in advance! :)

P.S. I saw that video from yesterday's Elite Meet showing the new geysers in action. If you guys haven't checked that out yet, you are in for a treat! These were spectacular examples of this new feature! This video prepared and shown by Frontier even shows an SRV driving up to, and then driving right over one of these spewing geysers and immediately upon centering over the vent, the SRV literally takes off like a rocket straight up into the air! This particular vent had so much force that it managed to lift the SRV several hundred feet into the air! They showed this scene both from the SRV cockpit perspective as well as from a remote camera. It was awesome!

I am not sure where those particular geysers were located, but boy oh boy! The more active examples of these things are going to be amazing to see in person AND to play around with! :D

First, Welcome CMDR.

As for the coordinates, it's pretty simple if not a little annoying.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskKqeQQk

In that image i've outlined the box you will be using. This should appear once you hit Orbital Cruise, While I'm not sure what is Longitude and Lattitude, which is why i say top and bottom when i put coordinates, what i do is go into orbital cruise and look at what my coordinates are. From there I move up or down to see how the numbers move according to which direction I am going. Once I get them moving the way I need then I begin to work my way towards the provided cooridnates. When i get close enough i drop out and then continue my way to the final exact location. It can be quite annoying when you get one direction going they way you want but then the other direction is a bit off. If you watch any of the videos on this thread then pay attention to those coordinates and watch how they work as the CMDRS get closer and closer. Sorry for the terrible description, maybe somebody can clean those up for you. Maybe I'll even make a video showing how to reach coordinates.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: GG7
Updated with an editable spreadsheet! So, perhaps use the spreadsheet for the important details, system, body, features, coordinates and for now screenshots, and we can use the thread for brief descriptions of our finds as well as regular discussions about surface features and exploration in general.

Last edited:
What are the search techniques being used, I know there aren't many but are we jumping from POI to POI, from distinguishing feature to feature, or just picking a line and going straight till you find something

What are the search techniques being used, I know there aren't many but are we jumping from POI to POI, from distinguishing feature to feature, or just picking a line and going straight till you find something

Pretty much just looked in the system map for a planet listed as having volcanism of some sort and just cruised in a straight line at about 5km altitude, with scanner at max range, looking for those tiny POI circles. There's probably a better way!

Sorry if I'm using your thread for the wrong thing here but, I just wanted to ask.

Has anyone reported the bugged lighting/texture problems in those screenshots? The artists can't possibly be happy with how they look there. They look like parts have been slapped onto the surface and the lighting ampped up on them making them seem entirely out of place.

This is the most obvious example of it, but most the other shots I've seen have some level of this going on.

ltIf5z4.png

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm using your thread for the wrong thing here but, I just wanted to ask.

Has anyone reported the bugged lighting/texture problems in those screenshots? The artists can't possibly be happy with how they look there. They look like parts have been slapped onto the surface and the lighting ampped up on them making them seem entirely out of place.

I agree. Looks like they are too reflective. Hopefully it will get sorted for the next beta.

I may chalk that up to being a beta and will be polished for release. There are some that do look rather nice though.

Top Bottom