MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

Evening once again, has been a less than productive day searching for carbon dioxide volcanism or any magma types.
I looked at the Geyser vid, trying to deduce where it could be,, very unclear but it could be democracy in the goverment type below system. not definate but its not Anarchy system, too short to fit.

Decided to take a look around Enceladus for the first time. Visited the Firey ones at 69 38 , but the other 55 46 one seemed bugged yes.
Location is there but nothing gets drawn in . had other POI sites nearby but random.. reinstanced it and still found nothing.

Hoped that the massive geysers in the video may of been on this moon, lot of time and found nothing. expected as much but still hoped.

Searched random systems,, looking for viable planets, difficult since beta seems to not remember much exploration data , and having to scan many things, at times i flipped back to 2.1 to check data before switch back to 2.2 to save time. heh

A couple of missing locations in the spreadsheet.
2 other sites on Actaea in Sol.
10.0 -12.8 was in the old thread , pic showed medium size chimneys at the time,, when i visited i saw watery rocky fumerole 3stones. Possibly need to revisit and check that site myself again.
11.5 2.0 grey smokey fumerole 3stones

Further out at the Pleiades, Pleiades sector JC-U B3-2 1 -88 -25 Small muddy fumeroles. Green gas emissions at times ,Crystals, image album for that site. http://imgur.com/a/E7GUX

In the end, many hours later of fruitless searching, came across a little potato world 800km small. Chewed up and worth a look for Sillicate Vapour volcanism , well small target to check hehe

11 CEPHEI A1 A -33.2 -18.3 album images for that site. 4 pics. http://imgur.com/a/hcuDu
Very unremarkable , similar to JCU system, but no activity overall except a little steam from one like a kettle boiling,rest are just lots of muddy nipples.
http://i.imgur.com/FZapYzY.jpg

Awesome PanPiper. Good to know that there are bugs going on and not just how things are. Hopefully that means that there are more POI's out there but because they fail to generate maybe some fail to create POI in some cases as well.

Checking now:)

*edit. Also can't find anything + there was a small POI in that exact spot, which suggests whatever it is, it's persistent. Although the POI marker looked too big to be a geological POI.
Thank Jon. I've noticed that some small mining operations now appear under a small blue POI as well. Not as small as the geo's but small enough that if you've been searching a while or just have a brainfart it is easily confused for geo's

Last edited:
I've noticed a few things here on the geysers - they are not always spawning, much like the same bug that occurred back with the Barnacles originally. This seems to occur pretty much constantly.

http://i.imgur.com/sWAAIJZ.jpg

The other thing (and people may have already figured this out), is that geysers are not always venting. It depends on the time of day, i.e. if the sun is present, which affects ambient temps. It also seems that some geysers need time to build up pressure before they will vent.

Here is what looks like a water one on Enceladus - right among all the fiery ones. This is the same geyser taken from different angles just a few minutes apart. Eventually it died down to nothing:

http://i.imgur.com/8GAJKOl.jpg

So the fact these geysers are not always spawning, combined with the fact that they don't always vent might well explain why they are so hard to find...

First off, awesome to get to reply to ObsidianAnt, def. a VIP around these parts, welcome. Secondly, Thank you, it does seem like the more confirmations coming in the clearer it is that these probably aren't as hard to find as they are currently. I feel like perhaps the ones that spawn materials are harder to come by but these geo's should be plentiful or at least as abundant as would make sense for the planet. I wouldn't mind it that way either. Make the actual geo's plentiful but only occasionally will you come across the rare materials formed by some. It would also be cool if, from what it sounds like you are saying, the extremity of it is based upon the sun. That stuff helps with the realness of them, make them affected by gravity influences, sun influences and what not. What was the location of that geyser on Enceldues? Was a previous found one? I wonder if the geo's are persistent but what they spew is random?

Thanks,
CMDR MadRaptor

NEW INFO, or new to me at least

So it seems some new info has come to my attention thanks to a reply from Sandro to Gypsy12.

Apparently the geo's aren't tied to POI, it just happens to be a conincedence for now.

Hello Commander Gypsy12!

The point of interest that you have successfully discovered was a minable rock.

Geysers, and other geologically phenomena do not show up on the scanner as blue POI markers, you need to locate them visually.

Hello Commander Gypsy12!

Well, I never actually said that they used the points of interest system...

They are difficult to find at the moment as there is no interface mechanic (that might change in the future), but there normally are quite a few of them, fields even, when they are present.

The fact that folk have been finding them using POIs is actually the opposite - the POIs have happened to be in areas designated as geologically special.

The bottom line, for the moment is: you must search them out the old fashioned exploration way.
\

With this new info I feel this thread will be a bit more helpful in the long run after all. At least until the implement a better way of finding these. Really sucks that every blue poi i found had geo features cause it then only made me think that was the way...at least until they confirmed. I wished it'd been sooner as I wasted a lot of time searching for things I didn't need to be. Who knows how many we could have found by now going off of logic. Anyways, the search continues. Thanks for the info Sandro.

Last edited:
Will take a look at Europa later tonight when back on.

In News Europa has been spewing water into orbit , much like Enceladus.
'Water jets have already been seen up close at Enceladus, an icy moon of Saturn. These emanate from a series of fissures at its south pole.' Wonder if thats accurate,, worth checking Enceladus again perhaps.

News article from BBC.

' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37473617 '

Last edited:
Alright folks, this is my quick draw up of the first issue of the MadRaptor's Mad Guide to the Galaxy. It will be a weekly newsletter that will highlight are planetside finds, such as geyser, fumaroles, archaeology and what have you. It will also contain stories from around the verse and a weekly cmdr spotlight, me being the first and then cmdrs can submit their own bio for future editions. With the way these new features work I think this will be a good letter to allow CMDRS to find these things at their leisure.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskHH9vod

Tell me what you think of the idea

Just went to the OP coordinates on enceladus and found nada. Either it's changed between betas or it is not something that persists :/

Just went to the OP coordinates on enceladus and found nada. Either it's changed between betas or it is not something that persists :/

Have they released a new beta? Are you at the right coordinates. I believe that site has been confirmed a few time so it should still be there.

Have they released a new beta? Are you at the right coordinates. I believe that site has been confirmed a few time so it should still be there.

I don't know when beta 2 came out, so maybe the OP was made during that? Either way, went back again, and found it. It was in a slightly different place and not sure why it didn't show up the first time (it's very easy to spot from miles away)..

The 69 x 38 worked on Enceladus both times I went there. One of the vent images I posted showing a view out of my SRV has those approx coordinates on the HUD.

They are:

I wouldn't be surprised if the spawning is bugged though like Obsidian suggested. I might have lucked out finding them there at that same location two times in a row.

Last edited:
Going to head back to Enceladus to have a look around again, maybe Actaea too.
Was investigating Europa, also with water geysers and also in the news today IRL.
Looked around quite a bit , found one interesting area but the game repeatadly crashes if trying to get closer. Reported as a bug for now. Suspect there is something there geological,, or maybe something else.
162 11 coords,, crossing pink canyons to the south. Will check there again once its fixed otherwise found nothing else around the planet in a hour or three.

Reasons for picking that site will confirm once somethings found. Trying new ideas for locating them on Ice planets. Different geology there, hope something turns up there to confirm it.

In news it mensioned the south pole of Enceladus was the best place for the geysers, at times. Heading to investigate.

So far nothing new,, keep finding myself back in a viable area and realising back at 55 45 site. Moving elsewhere

Last edited:
Going to head back to Enceladus to have a look around again, maybe Actaea too.
Was investigating Europa, also with water geysers and also in the news today IRL.
Looked around quite a bit , found one interesting area but the game repeatadly crashes if trying to get closer. Reported as a bug for now. Suspect there is something there geological,, or maybe something else.
162 11 coords,, crossing pink canyons to the south. Will check there again once its fixed otherwise found nothing else around the planet in a hour or three.

Reasons for picking that site will confirm once somethings found. Trying new ideas for locating them on Ice planets. Different geology there, hope something turns up there to confirm it.

In news it mensioned the south pole of Enceladus was the best place for the geysers, at times. Heading to investigate.

I'll head back to some of these sites and see if they may be bugged. Was trying to search last night but I don't k ow what happened next thing I know it was morning. Haha. Sucks being in the US .ist of the threaders are out of my preferred time zone. But thankfully I'm a night owl so usually we cross paths around 2 my time.

Spent much time finding nothing in Sol, moved to Epsilon Indi where theres a crazy place, Mittarand Hollow (tinyest moon) orbiting New Africa, large large planet. Silicate Vapours listed as volcanism on the moon.

Difficult to get into orbit as the moon will accelerate away faster than your ship can, had to head on approach as it came round. now it moves fast. Orbits the planet every 90 seconds.
Looks like it has some good areas. Mainly was determined to find one here because of the crazy place this is..

Tidally locked ,it seems to orbit the planet but always face the sun same side. one eternal dark, other day. but due to the rapid orbit a total eclipse once every 90 seconds giving 14 seconds of eerie darkness.
Nice place to make a video. Also New Africa streaks across the sky rapidly dwarfing the little moon you are on, looks uncanny and cataclysmic.

Eventually found a small POI, its persistent, the site looks perfect for a fumerole area i would say, but nothing spawning on that area. nearby random POI spawning all the time, but the small POI nothing there. Just like the Enceladus 55 45 site.

Epsilon Indi - Mitterland Hollow - Persistant small POI 65.0 11.0

After reading more of Sandro's comments, it would seem a debris field can be a small POI , and that could be one of them. Pointless really. An area where a few outcrops will always spawn. meh or so it seems.

Last edited:
Top Bottom