MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

MWSOG and CMDR MadRaptor Present:

BIOGEOLOGIC

COMING SOON!

MwJETRKga-4
[video=youtube_share;MwJETRKga-4]https://youtu.be/MwJETRKga-4[/video]

Last edited:
It's a pity we can't eject a data package to the planetary surface to be picked up, while I am not for all data being preserved on ship death, that would make it to easy, having to fly back to pick up your data seems enough punishment, specially for the distant trips, close ones most people would probably ignore.

Yeah, an ejected data core is something that I think has been on the wish list for a long time. It would provide an alternate to the "lose everything" scenario, without eliminating the death penalty, or permitting suiciding back to the bubble to sell your data, or anything like that.

Yeah, an ejected data core is something that I think has been on the wish list for a long time. It would provide an alternate to the "lose everything" scenario, without eliminating the death penalty, or permitting suiciding back to the bubble to sell your data, or anything like that.

Even if there was a time limit on it, after all you wouldn't want the galaxy filling up with abandoned data caches, that would be ok, you can buckyball a long way in a short period of time.

Anyway back to my story, an intersting turn of events has found me backtracking a couple of hundred light years.

The most amazing coincidence happened, I picked it up after a short while but I am still stunned at how it could happen. It appears that one of the stars I visited before I destroyed my ship had actually been visited by me on a previous trip, an old trip as you will soon find out. So there I was following my "previously visited" trail scanning all the systems to gather my lost data when suddenly my jumps seemed a lot shorter, around 25ly. Checking in the gal map for a reason I could see a trail of short jumps heading off into the distance in roughly the direction I was intending to go, and for each of these systems I could view the full system layout, this just didn't seem right.

I backtracked along my current course and suddenly came across an area where there was an overlapping trail of visited stars, it seems I have been this way once before on a forgotten expedition and mapped a path through and one star was visited both trips, it must have been in a pre-engineering ship due to the short jump range of around 25ly, so I was following the wrong "previously visited" trail of stars, isn't that remarkable, of all the luck, so I am backtracking a few hundred light years to get back on course, I can only think I have been out this way one to many times when that sort of thing starts happening!

Still, I have another trip planned this way, back to the crystaline forest planet, there must be more around that area, I can't believe this one planet is the only site so I am going to do a quick survey of the area to establish a rough region for them.

Last edited:
Hah! That's great. I've only accidentally crossed my own path once or twice, and it was due to the neutron plotter choosing the same neutron stars along perpendicular courses. So not all that surprising in retrospect. :D

I've found worms in Zunou EC-M d7-871 5

N6YK9eQ.png

Anemones are still bugged and data is not uploaded to codex. The recent patch didn't fix this bug.

hZxf694.jpg

Edit: Where are you Baton?

Last edited:
I've found a pumpkin field in Kyloarph EG-X E1-7370 C 1. I'm trying to scan pumpkins with Short Range Composition Scanner but data is not uploaded to codex.

How do you scan biological sites guys?

Use the ship's scanner while vey close or SLF if you have one - SRV doesn't currently work with them.

Now trying to remember if that worked with pumpkins... I'll check next time in game :)

Last edited:
Second planetary survey completed!

Planetary Survey Data - Sleguae CQ-V d3-64

Found a rocky body in Sleguae CQ-V d3-64 with Iron Magma volcanism and 8 geological signals. Once again, we have a mixture of features; 4 Sulphur Dioxide gas vents, 3 Iron magma lava spouts, and 1 Sulphur Dioxide fumarole.

Not to much to say about the world itself; it had a modest gravity field which made for good travelling in the SRV when I could land, but for rough handling in my ship when I couldn't. This was the first world I found with three different formation types, and two different forms of volcanism. Sleguae CQ-V d3-64 2 a is a good sized body (1,707 km radius, about the same size as Earth's moon, though with higher gravity, implying greater mass and hence greater density). It does make me wonder just how detailed the Stellar Forge is in modelling planetary interiors - if we were to slice this world open, how many layers would we find?

ETA: Modified the spreadsheet so I can put in other planets I survey in this region. Should still be viewable by all, but if there's a problem seeing it, please let me know!

Last edited:
Just found something similar: Sleguae ON-A d1-20 2, a dense metal-rich planet with Iron magma. 7 sites, 6 of them SO2 fumaroles, 1 SO2 gas vent site.

I suspect that both our finds represent planets with very thick crusts. If I understand geology correctly (anyone more knowledgeable please sing out!) features such as fumaroles, geysers and gas vents are largely limited to the crust, while lava spouts and actual volcanoes are born of fissures going right down to the mantle, or of local hot spots in the mantle that burn up through the crust.

Just found something similar: Sleguae ON-A d1-20 2, a dense metal-rich planet with Iron magma. 7 sites, 6 of them SO2 fumaroles, 1 SO2 gas vent site.

I suspect that both our finds represent planets with very thick crusts. If I understand geology correctly (anyone more knowledgeable please sing out!) features such as fumaroles, geysers and gas vents are largely limited to the crust, while lava spouts and actual volcanoes are born of fissures going right down to the mantle, or of local hot spots in the mantle that burn up through the crust.

Geysers are intrinsically surface features by definition since the process involves hot rocks deeper in the crust heating a secondary element, usually water, so it gushes out in force, fumaroles are actually gases emitted from heated and melted rock, such as sulphurous gases, usually found on or near volcanoes so they do require nearby major vulcanism, a gas vent I suspect is mostly super heated atmosphere escaping from a volcanic chamber, how they are using it here is a bit undefined since we don't actually have atmospheres but there may be low lying gases that are heated or even water turned to steam.

Geysers are intrinsically surface features by definition since the process involves hot rocks deeper in the crust heating a secondary element, usually water, so it gushes out in force, fumaroles are actually gases emitted from heated and melted rock, such as sulphurous gases, usually found on or near volcanoes so they do require nearby major vulcanism, a gas vent I suspect is mostly super heated atmosphere escaping from a volcanic chamber, how they are using it here is a bit undefined since we don't actually have atmospheres but there may be low lying gases that are heated or even water turned to steam.

Mars has "gas vents". https://themis.asu.edu/news/gas-jets-spawn-dark-spiders-and-spots-mars-icecap

Hm. So with these worlds where we're only finding fumaroles but no volcanoes... perhaps a hot spot under the crust at that region? Magma slowly working its way to the surface, but not yet broken through - would that be a probable cause?

Hm. So with these worlds where we're only finding fumaroles but no volcanoes... perhaps a hot spot under the crust at that region? Magma slowly working its way to the surface, but not yet broken through - would that be a probable cause?

Not necessarily. When we find them on the sunny side of a mostly icy body they could be gasses escaping that are being converted from frozen solids by the heat of the star.

Unlikely, we have to remember that most of the bodies out there, the small ones, are cold and dead, no molten core, no magma. The cause of vulcanism on small bodies is essentially gravitational stress which would indeed cause hot spots, so yes hot spots and even in some cases molten rock but not magma. Gases and lava would form and escape through stress fractures in the body of the moon itself, the level of stress applied to the body would determine the effects we see I should think.

Anyone besides me finding that i am getting CODEX listed as making a CONFIRMATION, but not getting the 2500CR showing up in TRANSACTIONS??

Anyone besides me finding that i am getting CODEX listed as making a CONFIRMATION, but not getting the 2500CR showing up in TRANSACTIONS??

Not sure what you mean, do you mean you aren't getting the Codex rewards when you turn them in? or it's not showing up in your display or in EDDiscovery. In the history tab of EDDI everything you scan records a codex transaction, so I think everything goes to the Codex, but you only get rewards based on certain criteria. The first new thing you find in a sector gives 50k, after that you get 2,500k for first new thing in each system.

Not sure what you mean, do you mean you aren't getting the Codex rewards when you turn them in? or it's not showing up in your display or in EDDiscovery. In the history tab of EDDI everything you scan records a codex transaction, so I think everything goes to the Codex, but you only get rewards based on certain criteria. The first new thing you find in a sector gives 50k, after that you get 2,500k for first new thing in each system.

I am on the body I am on specifically to make the CONFIRMATION SCANS for some things. One being the one in the video.

Specifically I am not getting the 2500 CR for being the second person to find something.. IE .. Making the CONFIRMATION Scan. I will put some video up showing that I got the BIG NEW GEOLOGICAL ITEM FOUND but not getting the message that I got the 2500 CR.

Two videos. One my Commander DD Harriman and the other James "Mac" McIntyer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fXZKXaKdy2RapLVsEx7UuzZuNkSkZogr

When the new system first dropped, I had a couple of times when one got the FIRST DISCOVERY CODEX and the 50,000 CR and the other one got the CONFIRMATION 2500 CR.

Since the last update, neither one seems to be getting anything except the CODEX Entry.

Top Bottom