MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

Interesting indeed.

On a side note I think I know what it is like to be on one of those hot planets now, 46c here today, going to be 40+ for the next few days, will be spending them indoors as much as possible!

27 Dec and I had to run the AC last night. Tried opening windows but humidity was 80+% so it was like being in a cold sauna.

Just finished my sixth planetary survey in the Elysian Shore. While I haven't found many "breathtaking shots", I still encounter the odd beauty shot like the one down below:

F19OZ7K.png

Sulphur Dioxide gas vents; Surface Site 8, Glufee KI-K d8-47 1

My full survey data to-date is available in this spreadsheet: Elysian Shore Geological Survey; but so far, 5 planets with Iron Magma volcani (3 rocky bodies, 1 metal-rich, and 1 high-metal content), and 1 icy body with Ammonia Magma volcanism.

I've noticed that, of the worlds I've surveyed with iron magma, sulphur dioxide features dominate. Out of 39 sites over 5 worlds, only 10 are iron magma lava spouts; while there are 29 sulphur dioxide features - 16 sulphur dioxide fumarole sites, and 13 sulphur dioxide gas vents. I'll be surveying more worlds before I leave this region, and I'll see if the pattern holds.

Also - not sure how much help this would be to others - but on the last site I visited, I ran into the same cannot-scan-to-codex bug some have been running into. I decided to quit to main menu, then reloaded, and found I could scan the site properly.

Just finished my sixth planetary survey in the Elysian Shore. While I haven't found many "breathtaking shots", I still encounter the odd beauty shot like the one down below:

I've noticed that, of the worlds I've surveyed with iron magma, sulphur dioxide features dominate. Out of 39 sites over 5 worlds, only 10 are iron magma lava spouts; while there are 29 sulphur dioxide features - 16 sulphur dioxide fumarole sites, and 13 sulphur dioxide gas vents. I'll be surveying more worlds before I leave this region, and I'll see if the pattern holds.

I have also noticed that the SO2 sites dominate the supposedly Iron Magma bodies.

I have noticed the same thing.

Opps, Sorry about the double post.

I have also confirmed that all ships in a wing do get UC credits for bodies mapped by just one ship in the wing.

Nothing ground breaking but a couple of bios I've found over the last week

https://imgur.com/GHeeoZw

Anemone's in Elysian Shore - Not in the codex as they don't scan... This was also in a nebula so I was expecting more bark

https://imgur.com/6WZDRLQ

Crystal near the Rosetta Nebula mixed with fumeroles. This was the first bio site I found that wasn't mapped. If anybody's out that way and fancies filling up their Tellurium supplies the place is absolutely full of it.. No relogs needs, I collected over 100 without making a dent in the amount of signals.

Last edited:
I have also noticed that the SO2 sites dominate the supposedly Iron Magma bodies.

Fumaroles are associated with relatively shallow subsurface volcanic activity, and any eruption of iron magma will cool and solidify rapidly in a vacuum so you would expect to see more fumaroles than active eruptions.

A fumarole site could periodically turn into a magma site for short periods if the parent magma body is shallow enough and then subside back to fumarole activity. Should anyone have the patience to sit and watch the same site for an extended period....

Fumaroles are associated with relatively shallow subsurface volcanic activity, and any eruption of iron magma will cool and solidify rapidly in a vacuum so you would expect to see more fumaroles than active eruptions.

A fumarole site could periodically turn into a magma site for short periods if the parent magma body is shallow enough and then subside back to fumarole activity. Should anyone have the patience to sit and watch the same site for an extended period....

By "extended period", I gather you don't mean waiting there for a week or so but more along the lines of "Do you have a couple of centuries to spare?" [big grin]

But this would explain the lack of actual iron magma events we're finding. My own knowledge of geology is sadly limited, so I'm grateful for anyone to fill in these gaps in my learning, such as you and varonica.

I've been avoiding worlds with large numbers of sites (20+) as I'm working on my own and I just don't have the time. But sometime later, I'd like to conduct a detailed survey of some of the more active worlds and see how they compare to the worlds I have been visiting. I expect that is where a wing of pilots would come in handy.

By "extended period", I gather you don't mean waiting there for a week or so but more along the lines of "Do you have a couple of centuries to spare?" [big grin]

The most active similar sites on earth would be mid-ocean ridges. The smallest average eruption interval there is inferred to be of the order of a decade and when they do happen they can persist for several months with short pulses of activity lasting from a day to a week at a time (Rubin et al, 2012).

So if you're lucky you might catch the transition with a week or two of observation.

Of course, FDev could easily have decided it should happen more often because it'd look cool :D

Which then makes me wonder if such transitions are coded into the game. Perhaps revisiting these worlds in a year's time might help answer that.

I've been avoiding worlds with large numbers of sites (20+) as I'm working on my own and I just don't have the time. But sometime later, I'd like to conduct a detailed survey of some of the more active worlds and see how they compare to the worlds I have been visiting. I expect that is where a wing of pilots would come in handy.

Even with a wing of two, 30+ sites gets tedious.

The most active similar sites on earth would be mid-ocean ridges. The smallest average eruption interval there is inferred to be of the order of a decade and when they do happen they can persist for several months with short pulses of activity lasting from a day to a week at a time (Rubin et al, 2012).

So if you're lucky you might catch the transition with a week or two of observation.

Of course, FDev could easily have decided it should happen more often because it'd look cool :D

I think you have hit on something. I suspect we are not going to actually find an iron magma lava spout on a small body unless it meets some very specific requirements.

1. It would have to be a high metal (+30%) so there is actually significant FE present.
2. It would need to be in close proximity to a much larger body that could cause significant internal heating.

Found this very interesting report. >>> http://adsbit.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/n...=0&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_VIEW&classic=YES

Honestly guv, it wasn't me, all I am doing is sitting here admiring the view, it's nice, very green, didn't notice that yesterday;

F2Va1OS.jpg

Now whats that funny noise? Sounds like it's coming from somewhere above me, lets just pan back a bit......oh right;
aRZFFKZ.jpg

Well it appears I'm going to be ok, it's not interested in me, just that hole in the ground!

2SGguBg.jpg

Time to change the globe in the warning light from Brown Trouser Alert back to all good then!

Have fun out there and watch out for those green things, for a moment there I thought is was Worm World Weather, but nope, no Nuri Globes, and if anyone reading this can pick up that reference without looking it up I salute you o7.

Honestly guv, it wasn't me, all I am doing is sitting here admiring the view, it's nice, very green, didn't notice that yesterday;

Now whats that funny noise? Sounds like it's coming from somewhere above me, lets just pan back a bit......oh right;

Well it appears I'm going to be ok, it's not interested in me, just that hole in the ground!

Time to change the globe in the warning light from Brown Trouser Alert back to all good then!

Have fun out there and watch out for those green things, for a moment there I thought is was Worm World Weather, but nope, no Nuri Globes, and if anyone reading this can pick up that reference without looking it up I salute you o7.

Woah! Did you see this in the Pleiades? Is it a known site? If not, please let me know the location because I'm sure bunch of Canonneers would love to have a look as well.

Woah! Did you see this in the Pleiades? Is it a known site? If not, please let me know the location because I'm sure bunch of Canonneers would love to have a look as well.

Oh yes well known site, the crashed Conda and SRV on HIP 16613 1 A.

I am doing a final bit of engineering on my Phantom before heading toward BP, so decided while in the bubble to visit sites I have missed out on and collect mats at the same time, I was expecting the Conda and SRV but that fellow was a surprise. Didn't turn up when I arrived but appeared after relog, it may be a timer or just coincidence I suppose.

Last edited:
Okay now, this is weird...

Yesterday, I thought I found a record with the lowest number of geological sites - 2 - but today I think I have that beat:

Planet Outords WY-S e3-10 A 1; 1.03 Earth Masses, 4,893 km radius, surface gravity 1.75 g. Listed as having No Atmosphere, and possessing Silicate Vapour Geysers.

Number of locations: Zero.

This makes no sense to me - the planet is as massive as Earth as well more dense and much younger (1.7 billion years if the main star is any indication). It should have some activity.

Can anyone explain this? Is anyone close enough to this system to confirm what I'm seeing?

Top Bottom