MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

Okay now, this is weird...

Yesterday, I thought I found a record with the lowest number of geological sites - 2 - but today I think I have that beat:

Planet Outords WY-S e3-10 A 1; 1.03 Earth Masses, 4,893 km radius, surface gravity 1.75 g. Listed as having No Atmosphere, and possessing Silicate Vapour Geysers.

Number of locations: Zero.

This makes no sense to me - the planet is as massive as Earth as well more dense and much younger (1.7 billion years if the main star is any indication). It should have some activity.

Can anyone explain this? Is anyone close enough to this system to confirm what I'm seeing?

Can't explain it but I have already had many bodies with 'activity' spend 20s-ish scanning and come back with a 0 - even when the description mentions volcanism/geysers... I just assum it to be a minor bug, max I've seen is 60 :)

Last edited:
Okay now, this is weird...

Yesterday, I thought I found a record with the lowest number of geological sites - 2 - but today I think I have that beat:

Planet Outords WY-S e3-10 A 1; 1.03 Earth Masses, 4,893 km radius, surface gravity 1.75 g. Listed as having No Atmosphere, and possessing Silicate Vapour Geysers.

This makes no sense to me - the planet is as massive as Earth as well more dense and much younger (1.7 billion years if the main star is any indication). It should have some activity.

Can anyone explain this? Is anyone close enough to this system to confirm what I'm seeing?

No, but I've definitely seen similar. A large body with volcanism showing no sites. I didn't make a note of it to go back to, but I've seen it at least once.

Ok so I have finally finished my Phantom, well not fully engineered but enough to get me just over 67ly max jump range, now it's off to BP, but which way should I go?

Any suggestions on routes less traveled?

I'd say there are a few possible explanations. The "in universe" way that I would look at it, is to say that no sites are currently active. Something might erupt any century now, though! :D

In terms of the StellarForge and game engine, it may be using a form of procedural fractal in which the planet's settings simply didn't generate the necessary "spike" anywhere on the surface map. I would think this is rare, but not impossible, depending on how their algorithm works.

Hi all.
Ran into somethings I never expected to find in the bubble. A "LISTENING POST" and a non-landable planet with a "GUARDIAN SIGNAL" .

They are less than .12ls apart and somehow I think they are related but I have not found anything later than Jan 2018 about listening posts and nothing about anything like the Guardian Signal on this kind of body.

I gather I can "scan" the listening post and get some kind of data but I am not clear about what it will be or what I can use it for.

Hi all.
Ran into somethings I never expected to find in the bubble. A "LISTENING POST" and a non-landable planet with a "GUARDIAN SIGNAL" .

They are less than .12ls apart and somehow I think they are related but I have not found anything later than Jan 2018 about listening posts and nothing about anything like the Guardian Signal on this kind of body.

I gather I can "scan" the listening post and get some kind of data but I am not clear about what it will be or what I can use it for.

That's been bug reported several times, it was present in the beta as well, newly introduced or previously undiscovered human, stations, bases, listening posts etc report in the FSS as a guardian signal, and objects in orbit around a body report as a surface signal, so your guardian signal is just that human listening post.

That's been bug reported several times, it was present in the beta as well, newly introduced or previously undiscovered human, stations, bases, listening posts etc report in the FSS as a guardian signal, and objects in orbit around a body report as a surface signal, so your guardian signal is just that human listening post.

Ok I read about the bug(s). In those reports there is only one FSS/DSS item listed. Either the GUARDIAN SIGNAL or the LISTENING POST.. Not both. Have I found a double bug?? Is there a reward for this??

Hey all! Just dropping HD 167971 in as what I’d class as a ‘Riddled’ system. Lots of bodies, most with Biologicals. Most I’ve seen since the system with the Witchhead Science Centre in.

I don't know if any of you has seen the following type of organic site, but a CMDR Namix reported it in the Canonn discord:

Screenshot_0045.jpg

He said that this type of site was in the codex already, but it's the first time I see it. He says it can be found around pru aed xd-r d4-50.

Last edited:
I don't know if any of you has seen the following type of organic site, but a CMDR Namix reported it in the Canonn discord:

He said that this type of site was in the codex already, but it's the first time I see it. He says it can be found around pru aed xd-r d4-50.

An Amphora site or something like that. I want to visit one of those myself. I'm hoping to find some great places in DW2

An Amphora site or something like that. I want to visit one of those myself. I'm hoping to find some great places in DW2

I haven't seen any yet but I am in a sector where they have been found so I may look some up at a known location.

Just in case people are wondering, I haven't posted here for a while because I have started my own expedition to Beagle Point which I am documenting in another thread and I am posting general stuff I find in that, some will get cross posted here of course if I think it's significant enough, my latest find may be but I haven't finished cehcking out the system yet, anyway you will find it here if any of you are interested in following it, I'm not in a hurry so arrival at BP will take me a few weeks;

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/470191-HO-to-BP-a-sematically-interesting-expedition

Last edited:
Ok, I just want to mention that I'm jealous of all of you! Everyone! :p

I was out near Eta Carinae when beta went live. Worked my way back to the Bubble and then headed out towards the Lagoon Nebula at the beginning of the new year. I've found plenty of geologics, but nothing else. No biologics, no Lagrange clouds, no mollusks, no notable stellar phenomenon, nuthin'.

So... am I doing something wrong? Or is it just bad luck? I assume bad luck. I jump in, use the FSS, no signal sources except near the bubble. I surface scan every landable planet and still nothing but geology.

It's either that or FD has implemented some "if that guy then" code that's keeping me from finding the good stuff. ;)

Ok, I just want to mention that I'm jealous of all of you! Everyone! :p

I was out near Eta Carinae when beta went live. Worked my way back to the Bubble and then headed out towards the Lagoon Nebula at the beginning of the new year. I've found plenty of geologics, but nothing else. No biologics, no Lagrange clouds, no mollusks, no notable stellar phenomenon, nuthin'.

So... am I doing something wrong? Or is it just bad luck? I assume bad luck. I jump in, use the FSS, no signal sources except near the bubble. I surface scan every landable planet and still nothing but geology.

It's either that or FD has implemented some "if that guy then" code that's keeping me from finding the good stuff. ;)

Since heading out toward BP through the Norma Expanse and Trojan Belt I have seen very little also except for anemones and bark cones, it may be region related or phenomena related, anemones in O and B class systems and I always try and drop in to those if they are nearby, bark cones are unpredictable, the last lot was in a nebula, it appears the new stuff may be very concentrated in certain areas and sparse in others. So in other words it's often just bad luck for being in the wrong areas. However, what else is out there uundiscovered, I would be dissapointed if all that has been discovered is the whole of it, so I search and hope for something remarkable, just one Ring World is all I ask for, just the one!

Yea, I suspect it's just bad luck but, what? Do I gotta search the whole Universe just to find one bark mound!? ;)

And, yea, it would be nice if FD implemented a few 1 in a million encounters... a ring world would be cool. Or a Dyson sphere. Knowing my luck, however, I'd likely fly into one... not fly inside, fly straight smack into it. I'm just hoping FD will never implement Berserkers or the Borg. ;)

Yea, I suspect it's just bad luck but, what? Do I gotta search the whole Universe just to find one bark mound!? ;)

And, yea, it would be nice if FD implemented a few 1 in a million encounters... a ring world would be cool. Or a Dyson sphere. Knowing my luck, however, I'd likely fly into one... not fly inside, fly straight smack into it. I'm just hoping FD will never implement Berserkers or the Borg. ;)

Bark mounds were the 'last' of the planetary Bio I found, at a time when others were complaining "oh no, more bark mounds!", but once I did it was, yes, more bark mounds everywhere!

Just flown from the bubble to the Formadine Rift, way down on the edge though, Bio life since the bubble? None... Now about to go back 'up' toward the plane, maybe Bio will start appearing then :)

Last edited:

That's ok, you would probably crash right next to Scotty's ship, that was always one of my favourite STNG episodes!

Bark mounds were the 'last' of the planetary Bio I found, at a time when others were complaining "oh no, more bark mounds!", but once I did it was, yes, more bark mounds everywhere!

Well, I was mostly poking fun at bark mounds 'cause I think they're one of the least interesting things to find. ...even though I haven't found any yet.

That said, and just by way of comment, it does amuse me that bark mounds and any other bio-forms in this game have, in fact, any kind of form at all. That's just it. Each "ecosystem" we encounter seems to have only one "species" in it. -- Ok, Lagrange clouds seem to be excepted -- and the shape of a given species is a always result of anything that preys upon it, so... what's eating them bark mounds? Or brain trees? Or even pumpkins? ;)

That's ok, you would probably crash right next to Scotty's ship, that was always one of my favourite STNG episodes!

Yea, but I was pokin' a little fun at the fact that, in this game, we jump straight to the star. Having a massive wall between us and it can't be good news. ;) But meeting Scotty'd definitely be cool. Especially if he could engineer me something cool without all the side-quests our current engineers demand? Hell, maybe just rescuing him from that Dyson's sphere is enough. :D

the shape of a given species is a always result of anything that preys upon it, so... what's eating them bark mounds? Or brain trees? Or even pumpkins? ;)

There was life on earth for a couple of billion years before the first predators, everything we've seen on planets in ED is immobile, it's hard to hunt if you can't move. Where there is predation that provides an evolutionary pressure which can alter the shape of the prey but if there are no predators...

There was life on earth for a couple of billion years before the first predators, everything we've seen on planets in ED is immobile, it's hard to hunt if you can't move. Where there is predation that provides an evolutionary pressure which can alter the shape of the prey but if there are no predators...

Sessile Grogs's

1hdPNHD.png

Look familiar? From Larry Niven's short story The Handicapped.

Top Bottom