MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

There was life on earth for a couple of billion years before the first predators, everything we've seen on planets in ED is immobile, it's hard to hunt if you can't move. Where there is predation that provides an evolutionary pressure which can alter the shape of the prey but if there are no predators...

Are you referring to multicellular or unicellular life forms? Because both have to respond to predation. And both eventually adapt by evolving mobility. But the life forms in Elite shouldn't even be multicellular. They need an ecosystem with predators in order to achieve that.

But that's Ok with me, we need something to find and this will work until we can land on planetary biomes. :)

Are you referring to multicellular or unicellular life forms? Because both have to respond to predation. And both eventually adapt by evolving mobility. But the life forms in Elite shouldn't even be multicellular. They need an ecosystem with predators in order to achieve that.

But that's Ok with me, we need something to find and this will work until we can land on planetary biomes. :)

If we assume that mobility is one of the products of predation, and that we have to date 'met' several spacefaring lifeforms, do we have to consider that at a later point in time we may run into those that predate on them, or possibly consider that those mobile lifeforms could actually predate on the other 'life' we have encountered?

At least 2 of the space-borne objects we have found will react to our ships, even the spherical anomolies will in proximity react to us negatively - possibly self-defense?

Ok, Going to ask this here since the Barnacles are part of this thread.

I went out to that Pledeas sector and was harvesting some Meta Alloys when a big honking i guess Thargoid Ship warped in and pretty much temporarily disabled my SRV's ( I had both my commanders on the ground at the same site.). The SRV's rebooted and I got them into the ships and got the ships of the plant without any obvious interference from the Thargoid.

Reading what I can find, it appears that as long as I don't shot at them, they won't shoot at me. Is that right or have I missed something??

If we assume that mobility is one of the products of predation, and that we have to date 'met' several spacefaring lifeforms, do we have to consider that at a later point in time we may run into those that predate on them, or possibly consider that those mobile lifeforms could actually predate on the other 'life' we have encountered?

At least 2 of the space-borne objects we have found will react to our ships, even the spherical anomolies will in proximity react to us negatively - possibly self-defense?

Well, now, that's all up to ED, now, isn't it? :) Honestly, I don't think they're worried about that at all. In fact, I suspect all they're doing is just trying some of their fractal-life algorithms and putting them to use in the game. I suspect, when we actually do get full fledged biomes to land on, that the predator & prey (if they even bother at all) will just be more of these algorithms working to spit out whatever they can. I doubt any thought will be given to how much predator actually shapes prey. And, I wouldn't blame them for not worrying about that. They'd have to employ another PHD to figure that all out and I expect it's a lot more effort than it's actually worth. My two cents.

Reading what I can find, it appears that as long as I don't shot at them, they won't shoot at me. Is that right or have I missed something??

From what I know, the big ships most times will leave you alone. It's the scouts that will shoot on sight. Those are the smaller ones that look like sand-dollars, not the big ones that look like flowers. :)

From what I know, the big ships most times will leave you alone. It's the scouts that will shoot on sight. Those are the smaller ones that look like sand-dollars, not the big ones that look like flowers.

Ok. Now the question is, should I get greedy and go back down and load up on the meta alloys, I have two in each ship, or just kind'a hi tail it to Felicity and get Engineered.

Ok. Now the question is, should I get greedy and go back down and load up on the meta alloys, I have two in each ship, or just kind'a hi tail it to Felicity and get Engineered.

Honestly, I don't know the answer to that. I know the big ships will sometimes attack you when you have some of their take, or maybe Guardian tech too, but meta-alloys? No idea. Just make sure you got a fast ship and can run. :)

Honestly, I don't know the answer to that. I know the big ships will sometimes attack you when you have some of their take, or maybe Guardian tech too, but meta-alloys? No idea. Just make sure you got a fast ship and can run. :)

I made an uninterrupted trip back to the surface and found one site with 8 of the big things but none of the spikes with Meta Alloys.

Traveled 25 KM to another site that had two of the big things and each of them had two spikes with meta alloys.

Got codex credit for first find and confirmation, collected 4 more meta alloys (two each ship) and got off the body without incident.

Not going to push my luck on this. Planning a MOST FUEL EFFICIENT trip so I can do wake scans of my ships to try for the LEVEL 5 wake data, to Felicity with a stop someplace to get A Class Power supplies since I don't think I can get past GRADE 3 FSD without at least an A CLASS PSW at GRADE 1

I think I have a screen shot of the big barnacle field if that would be of interest.

Can't explain it but I have already had many bodies with 'activity' spend 20s-ish scanning and come back with a 0 - even when the description mentions volcanism/geysers... I just assum it to be a minor bug, max I've seen is 60 :)
60 Geological sites on a single body?
Care to share the location, or at least a screenshot?

60 Geological sites on a single body?
Care to share the location, or at least a screenshot?

If our logs kept a record of Geo I'd love too, it was in the region of space between Colonia and the Abyssal Plain, not long after 3.3 went live. I'll pack my bags and try to recreate the trip from the logs though as from what we are seeing now, it was a bit of an exception.

I'll happily share the location once I find it again, it may take a couple of weeks :)

I made an uninterrupted trip back to the surface and found one site with 8 of the big things but none of the spikes with Meta Alloys.

Traveled 25 KM to another site that had two of the big things and each of them had two spikes with meta alloys.

Got codex credit for first find and confirmation, collected 4 more meta alloys (two each ship) and got off the body without incident.

Not going to push my luck on this. Planning a MOST FUEL EFFICIENT trip so I can do wake scans of my ships to try for the LEVEL 5 wake data, to Felicity with a stop someplace to get A Class Power supplies since I don't think I can get past GRADE 3 FSD without at least an A CLASS PSW at GRADE 1

I think I have a screen shot of the big barnacle field if that would be of interest.

I'd like to know which of the Thargoid sites you'd visited - just to add it to my bucket list :) Seen a few YT movies of the ships coming down in the past but not been there myself. Wonder if they do react to Guardian tech?

Hope you make it to Felicity safely with the Meta Alloys, pirates like those a lot :) (mind you they get equally as excited if you have a ton of biowaste in your hold...)

I'd like to know which of the Thargoid sites you'd visited - just to add it to my bucket list :) Seen a few YT movies of the ships coming down in the past but not been there myself. Wonder if they do react to Guardian tech?

Hope you make it to Felicity safely with the Meta Alloys, pirates like those a lot :) (mind you they get equally as excited if you have a ton of biowaste in your hold...)

Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 1

The Thargoid sites do not get numbered so I cannot tell you which it was. Also, the system scan said 8 sites, the DSS only showed 4 sites. During the fly in to the planet I saw at least 6 site indicators.

I think the pirates cheat.

Traveled over 700 LY in two ship convoy with nothing in either hold and not once did either ship get interdicted.
Now both ships have 4 Meta Ally in their holds and both have been interdicted once in less than 30 ly of travel. But I saw the "I knew I'd find you and your tasty cargo." messages and set 5% speed and easily beat the interdiction's.

Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 1

The Thargoid sites do not get numbered so I cannot tell you which it was. Also, the system scan said 8 sites, the DSS only showed 4 sites. During the fly in to the planet I saw at least 6 site indicators.

I think the pirates cheat.

Traveled over 700 LY in two ship convoy with nothing in either hold and not once did either ship get interdicted.
Now both ships have 4 Meta Ally in their holds and both have been interdicted once in less than 30 ly of travel. But I saw the "I knew I'd find you and your tasty cargo." messages and set 5% speed and easily beat the interdiction's.

Thanks - added to list, no matter how many sites, I've visited so few that adding a few will only be more fun.

Pirates are the same when mining - even quite a way outside of the bubble - I don't know how many starving children I'm responsible for :)

Thanks - added to list, no matter how many sites, I've visited so few that adding a few will only be more fun.

Pirates are the same when mining - even quite a way outside of the bubble - I don't know how many starving children I'm responsible for :)

i got it from the Cannon list

Yea, Baby! After a month of Chapter 4, my first Notable Stellar Phenomenon, 2 in fact. The second one includes the my first neutron to boot. Now I have a dilemma, continue on my journey towards Sag A or return to the nearest station and make sure the discovery is remains mine... I mean, c'mon! My first two NSP AND my first Neutron star!

ek2btD4.png

:D

Yea, Baby! After a month of Chapter 4, my first Notable Stellar Phenomenon, 2 in fact. The second one includes the my first neutron to boot. Now I have a dilemma, continue on my journey towards Sag A or return to the nearest station and make sure the discovery is remains mine... I mean, c'mon! My first two NSP AND my first Neutron star!

How far from a station are you - and how 'remote' are you finds (well done, by the way :) )?

I discovered a 'few' Neutron stars on my first trip to Colonia (a couple of months back) and I think the data was safe over the week it took me... But if you have a statio close I'd suggest doing the 'just in case' move :)

How far from a station are you - and how 'remote' are you finds (well done, by the way :) )?

I discovered a 'few' Neutron stars on my first trip to Colonia (a couple of months back) and I think the data was safe over the week it took me... But if you have a statio close I'd suggest doing the 'just in case' move :)

About 30 or so jumps away.

The funny thing is, where I'm at now (near the "roof") seems to be full of neutron stars. But every one was tagged as I continued my climb. Until my last jump. I figured this one would be tagged to, but, no. It was mine to claim. And those to NSP to boot. So, I closed down for the night and resumed today. Next jump out, another untagged neutron. It just that, in four years of playing, this is the most neutrons stars I've ever seen this close together. I'm almost tempted to scan the galmap for more neutrons that might also be untagged, but I think I need to continue my journey.

But yea, time to return to the station and make my claim permanent and then forward from there. :)

Keep in mind your Codex finds and "first mapped" tags will remain yours regardless if anyone scans them and beats you back, it's only first discovered you may miss out on. So you may lose the Neutron star but you will retain the NSP.

EDanaII:

If you are 30 jumps from a station, and are happy to go, at least doing so keeps your 'firsts', as varonica said - your codex entries are yours regardless and safe.

Subtle suggestion :) It appears a lot more explorers think of going 'up' rather than 'down'...

Last edited:
EDanaII:

If you are 30 jumps from a station, and are happy to go, at least doing so keeps your 'firsts', as varonica said - your codex entries are yours regardless and safe.

Subtle suggestion :) It appears a lot more explorers think of going 'up' rather than 'down'...

Your "FIRST MAPPED" also pay "First Discovered" bonuses.

Well that's just a little bit disappointing. For those who are following my HO to BP thread I am just over 8kly from BP, and here I am thinking I will need to start plotting with jumponium soon, so I have built a stock up all ready. So I have 150 of premium boost Jumponium the maximum possible, to see how soon I would need to start using it I selected Beagle Point and tried to plot a course directly from where I was at the edge of the Archeron sector. So I wait for a few seconds....and it plots me a course straight there! :eek:

So The Long Way Home can take me there directly, a surprise indeed, with luck I will find some interesting stuff in that last 8kly.

Top Bottom