MWSOG: Milky Way Society of Organics and Geology

Ok, Found one of these as fumerols and geysers. Still cannot find the Magma.
Found another body that says it has magma and I am going looking for the unicorn again.

I keep pointing this out, but you won't or shouldn't see magma at any surface volcanic sites, magma is subsurface vulcanism, if a body says water magma vulcanism that's the type of vulcanism on the body not what you see at the surface, when earth based magma emerges at the surface we call it lava, not magma, when water magma body has surface vulcanism it should be spouts and fumaroles, so you are hunting for something that shouldn't exist at all geology wise and I would be disappointed if it did for the sort of sites we are finding. Only a massive surface disruption on the scale of a city sized asteroid impact should expose magma.

I keep pointing this out, but you won't or shouldn't see magma at any surface volcanic sites, magma is subsurface vulcanism, if a body says water magma vulcanism that's the type of vulcanism on the body not what you see at the surface, when earth based magma emerges at the surface we call it lava, not magma, when water magma body has surface vulcanism it should be spouts and fumaroles, so you are hunting for something that shouldn't exist at all geology wise and I would be disappointed if it did for the sort of sites we are finding. Only a massive surface disruption on the scale of a city sized asteroid impact should expose magma.

I understood you. BUT, as you noted, if the body has "magma" then it should have lava spouts and so far, I have found no lava spouts on bodies of either of the types listed that say they have magma. SO, I seem to be looking for unicorns.

I understood you. BUT, as you noted, if the body has "magma" then it should have lava spouts and so far, I have found no lava spouts on bodies of either of the types listed that say they have magma. SO, I seem to be looking for unicorns.

No that's not correct and not what I said, lava spouts are not guaranteed, it depends on temperature, pressure, depth of the magma below the surface and many other things. Basically earths volcanoes and hot spots are produced by a combination of convection in the magma and plate tectonics, subduction zones being the source of vulcanism in the places like the ring of fire and the mid atlantic ridge being an out welling as the plates spread apart, so if convection currents in the magma aren't strong enough to force lava up through the surface, and there are no plate tectonics because the body is to cool then you shouldn't see lava because the magma has no path to the surface. What you will see is geysers and fumaroles as liquid sinks to the heated interior rock turn to steam and gas pressure is released from further below the surface, but lava is certainly not guaranteed.

Last edited:
Magma versions are certainly less common, but I wouldn't go as far as say they are rare.

The thing I'm having trouble finding are Methane and Nitrogen volcanism. I managed to find the latter this evening, but it was after scanning many dozens of Icy Bodies. I have yet to find my own Methane sites.

Well, I now have the Methane Ice Gyesers and Fumerols nailed down. They are prevalent on most any body that says it has methane vulcanism. I have now looked at some 50 Goe Sites on bodies that say there is Methane Magma Vulcanism.

I spent about 2 hours going through the CODEX trying to check every region to see if Methane Lava Spouts have ever been reported and did not find any such reports. Beginning to think that they will indeed be unicorns.

BUT,, I still find myself getting 2500 CR "new discovery" bonuses for finding the Ice Geysers and Fumerols on new bodies even though both have long ago been confirmed in the region I am in.

Decided to update this since it seems that some additional data is usually reported with these.

Also I have a pic now of both kinds of Crystals in the same Lagrange point location. Going to take another look at the other one and see if they are mixed there as well.

Found a couple kinds of Metallic Crystals in Proto Lagrange Clouds.
I am barely outside the bubble.
Primary Star K .4766 solar masses .6165 Solar radius
Binary pair K .4727 SM .5782 SR
Secondary binary pair. L .125 SM .2737 SR
T .0547 SM .1600 SR

The clouds were in the area of the Primary Binary pair.

Also. At present I am not putting much faith in the CODEX.

Personally I think there is a bug in that if you find 2 NEW DISCOVERIES or CONFIRMATIONS in the same either system or log in session, only the first one gets recorded in the CODEX and you only get the reward for that first one. At present one of my ships in my Wing/Squadron has collected a 50,000 for both types but the other one only got 50,000 for one type and 2,500 for the other type.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Ice Planets don't have lava spouts. They only have fumeroles and ice-geysers.

If you are looking for lava spouts you need to look at rocky and metal rich planets.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Ice Planets don't have lava spouts. They only have fumeroles and ice-geysers.

If you are looking for lava spouts you need to look at rocky and metal rich planets.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of Ammonia (or any other gas) Magma volcanism.

mag·ma /ˈmaɡmə/ noun :hot fluid or semifluid material below or within the earth's crust from which lava and other igneous rock is formed on cooling.

now, in theory, any gas that can be cooled sufficiently to become a "solid" could act like "magma" at the right temperatures and/or pressures.

It is known that water ice will "flow" like a "molten liguid" under the right conditions.

At present I don't think the Stellar Forge is creating the right condition or that the game simply does not allow us to find these things because we cannot land of bodies with the atmospheric pressures that would be needed for the "magma" to occur.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of Ammonia (or any other gas) Magma volcanism.

mag·ma /ˈmaɡmə/ noun :hot fluid or semifluid material below or within the earth's crust from which lava and other igneous rock is formed on cooling.

now, in theory, any gas that can be cooled sufficiently to become a "solid" could act like "magma" at the right temperatures and/or pressures.

It is known that water ice will "flow" like a "molten liguid" under the right conditions.

At present I don't think the Stellar Forge is creating the right condition or that the game simply does not allow us to find these things because we cannot land of bodies with the atmospheric pressures that would be needed for the "magma" to occur.

As Varonica and others have pointed out, you won't see Magma on the surface, you'll just see its low-pressure derivatives.

Lava Spouts can only be found on non-Icy bodies.

Since my last post on the topic of smoke colors a few weeks ago, I've expanded my catalog of smoke colors quite a bit.

After sharing some initial observations with my Canonn friends, they pointed out that smoke colors match the colors of the material nodes (I'm still kicking myself for not having noticed that much earlier). So I've been able to use the colors of the material nodes and soot to help identify the real color of the smoke in a given site.

After visiting two or three hundred Geological sites, I've found that there are at least 17 different smoke and material colors, namely 3 shades of Grey and 4 shades of Green. There are 22 different types of Geological sites listed in the Codex, so together with the 17 different smoke colors there are (so far) a total of 374 different possible site-color combinations. As of the time of this writing, I've seen 89 site-color combinations, as shown in the table below.

X9o8Z8z.png

One of the surprising things I've found is that, when it comes to non-Icy bodies (HMC, RB, and MR), there is no such thing as purely White smoke, only shades of Grey, which ironically can make the smoke look "whiter". There is a preponderance of Grey shades and Light Green on non-Icy bodies. Other colors, such as Red and Purple, can be hard to find. White smoke on Icy bodies is accompanied by Black colored material nodes, which is somewhat counter-intuitive but I suppose a purely white/transparent mat color doesn't look as good from an aesthetic viewpoint.

The images below are a collection of Cristalline Fragments of various colors that I use as a reference to help me identify the exact smoke color of a site. I have a similar catalog of Cristalline Cluster, Piceous Cobble, and Soot.

jOg03zx.jpg

97itJXr.jpg

gaSvZYF.jpg

jAZTZfu.jpg

c58AZ5p.jpg

q0mcz7d.jpg

x7ZJHp7.jpg

ge05QTT.jpg

y6KeWed.jpg

tkEZyAZ.jpg

czbwUNd.jpg

OuuhrlX.jpg

5mmmFfK.jpg

T53OQY5.jpg

x5Wvd42.jpg

Okuak6D.jpg

qjT3Pff.jpg

For the purposes of identifying smoke colors, I limit myself to the day side of a planet. I prefer planets that are not too far away and not too close to the star. The sweet spot usually happens at around 2000Ls in F-class star systems, where the colors stand out nicely and are not washed out by the starlight.

It'll take a very long time to fill the entire grid, but I'm taking my time and just treating it as part of my "personal narrative". Hunting for specific colors and rare Volcanism types (i.e. Nitrogen and Methane) adds spice to exploration trips =)

Last edited:
Hey folks!

Went out to check some newish Braintree reports from a non-nebula area. Mildly interesting thing in Graea Hypue BA-A E8

A 6 a, B 10 a and B 11 a are all eligible for Roseum Braintrees, but only the latter two have any.

Just dropping the info in in case it's of interest or if I find more of the same.

Hey folks!

Went out to check some newish Braintree reports from a non-nebula area. Mildly interesting thing in Graea Hypue BA-A E8

A 6 a, B 10 a and B 11 a are all eligible for Roseum Braintrees, but only the latter two have any.

Just dropping the info in in case it's of interest or if I find more of the same.

Thanks for the heads up!

I thought I was in the area, but I misread that EDSM map...very far from me, otherwise I would've checked it out. You know how it is: follow the Brain Trees to find the Guardian Ruins.

Now, I'm trying to think, with the exception of the Col 173 area, are there any other parts of the galaxy that have Brain Trees in a non-nebula area? In any case, we may have a new Guardian bubble in the region.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up!

I thought I was in the area, but I misread that EDSM map...very far from me, otherwise I would've checked it out. You know how it is: follow the Brain Trees to find the Guardian Ruins.

Now, I'm trying to think, with the exception of the Col 173 area, are there any other parts of the galaxy that have Brain Trees in a non-nebula area? In any case, we may have a new Guardian bubble in the region.
Yeah, thought the same. It’s a massive area. If you have a look on the Guardians combo map you can get a rough idea of the size. Loads of Braintree sites had already been found, but not seen any reports of Guardian sites in the area yet. I’ve started trying to confirm boundaries of the area, but like I say, it’s massive, and we could probably do with a group effort to check it out properly.

I don’t think there’s any other non-Nebula areas known yet. Another Cmdr might have found an area but they’re not saying where until they’ve properly checked it out themselves.

I was within a couple of KLy of that system so have diverted to take a look around - will let you know if I find anything interesting other than more brain trees :)

I still have a sinking feeling that there will be no Guardian stuff to find out there, but at least it will be a fun diversion.

I was within a couple of KLy of that system so have diverted to take a look around - will let you know if I find anything interesting other than more brain trees :)

I still have a sinking feeling that there will be no Guardian stuff to find out there, but at least it will be a fun diversion.
Best to have a look at the Canonn map to choose where to start rather than going to that particular system, it's a big area!

sYV0AVk.jpg

I ran into brain trees around 1500Ly from the above 'target' system. Have been looking around since but only found a further 2 bodies with them so far. It will only be a 'cursory' look around as landing the T10 to be nosey can be a bit cumbersome!

I've bookmarked the map, thanks, and will use it as a reference (can have my laptop open while flying that way). When I swap the T10 for one of my 'explorer' builds I'll happily trot back and have a good root around :)

I ran into brain trees around 1500Ly from the above 'target' system. Have been looking around since but only found a further 2 bodies with them so far. It will only be a 'cursory' look around as landing the T10 to be nosey can be a bit cumbersome!

I've bookmarked the map, thanks, and will use it as a reference (can have my laptop open while flying that way). When I swap the T10 for one of my 'explorer' builds I'll happily trot back and have a good root around :)
Nice one! Have you got EDMC and the Canonn plugin installed? It uploads finds to the Canonn spreadsheet which then populates the map.

To try and help this search, I've set up a squadron. The idea is to bookmark where an edge of the braintree area is found then share those book marks with the squadron, so that the squadron bookmarks start to show the general shape of the area. It's something new to try, so I can't guarantee how effective it will be, but I think it's worth a go.

If anyone wants to join in, the squadron name is Flaming Dunes (for reasons ;) ). If you do, just apply for membership in game and let me know on here or via PM with your cmdr name so I know to accept the membership request.

To try and help this search, I've set up a squadron. The idea is to bookmark where an edge of the braintree area is found then share those book marks with the squadron, so that the squadron bookmarks start to show the general shape of the area. It's something new to try, so I can't guarantee how effective it will be, but I think it's worth a go.

If anyone wants to join in, the squadron name is Flaming Dunes (for reasons ;) ). If you do, just apply for membership in game and let me know on here or via PM with your cmdr name so I know to accept the membership request.

Once I have finished my loop I have an open book and will be looking for a new project to either undertake or assist, this is certainly a good contender. I am not sure how long it will take me to finish however I am on the home stretch so may be joining you soon.

Top Bottom