My Coronation Ceremony...

I get that, and I know we're not "King of the Empire", or whatever. However, as Deejayeff145 points out, obtaining the top of the rank structure is just anti-climactic.
Here is what I have suspected since ages: at some point FD plans to replace the current system with a 'handcrafted mission chain' system. The 'mission DLC leak' would be one way. It would explain why there is no alliance ranking. It would be easy to copy&paste the current system with ranks for the alliance, but this way even veteran players will have at least one campaign left to do when it is released.

In any case, the current system is nonsense. Not much more to say on that front.

You make it seem so exciting:sleep:

Joking aside, "King" may be a placeholder for something to come. What if Base Building really is a thing? Might we need to earn rank to build bases? King of a base?

Too many unknowns at present, of course.
That's what I was thinking, a future benefit for being King.

I get that, and I know we're not "King of the Empire", or whatever. However, as Deejayeff145 points out, obtaining the top of the rank structure is just anti-climactic.
Actually, what I wrote wasn't aimed at what you posted exactly, but rather at what was in some other posts here and there.
And I understand your point of view.

That said, I never thought there was something wrong with how this works. I never expected those ranks to mean anything - after all players in Elite are never supposed to be too important - those rank names are blown over to sound significant, but it's just a honey to sweeten bitter truth that you're doing dirty work for them. Naval officers probably look down on you even if you're a King, and laugh at thousands of Princes that fly around doing courier work (It must be good joke for them). Being one, you couldn't get audience anywhere in the Empire, even station Manager might wave you off. Only advantage is that you can show the email you got and buy yourself an Imperial ship.
Same thing with Federal ranks ofc "Hey, look there Bob, another Admiral.".

I treat those as spam mail and never, ever let anyone know what rank I was given.

I have to agree, that ranks (even lower ranks) in Federation and Empire are a bit senseless, and (again) a missed chance for good game play. The rank system in itself is fine, and the rewards (permits and ships) are ok too.
There was a post several weeks ago where somebody suggested new names for the ranks. This would be a step toward a system which makes more sense. Why giving out officer /noble ranks? Much more sense were ranks along the line 'Federal/Imperial Agent'. I am sure native english speakers will find good rank names, and this is exactly what a player does! If you play the missions you are an agent, not an officer or a noble.

Also there should be more non substantial rewards, the ships and permits are fine, but there could be more, things of small consequence, like Decals for example. Decals would defeat secrecy, but on the other hand, not everybody needs to mount them.

Regarding the 'Email' you receive: For the higher ranks the message should at least be signed by an important person. Not just one line.

The problem is, that many things in ED are well thought out but sloppily executed and half baked...

Top Bottom