my Epic nightmare

I got the free account from Epic fact two not that I wanted two, but both when I log in to Elite neither of them are new accounts with a sidewinder.

I have asked Epic and they recommend deleting my Epic account, but it can take up to 14 days action, that will be to late to then take up the offer.

Can any kind commander explain what I am doing wrong, and what I should do.

I'm afraid that at 72 I am not as computer literate as some of the young ones out there.

1) Did you create the Epic account with a different email address than your original Frontier/Steam account?
2) Did you install the Epic version to a different location on your system from the original Frontier/Steam version?
3) Did you create a new Frontier account with a different email address, different from the original Frontier/Steam account?

Any of these can lead to the Epic account login to use the directories set up for your original Frontier account and to use the journal files for the original Frontier account.

There is not enough information in your original post to determine what the problem is exactly but the general rule is to have each separated by using different email accounts and installed in different locations on the computer you are using, so that they do not share files or credential sets.

Have a read through this thread, may be helpful. (I've not got the Epic Freebie myself).

Forget the existing problem and trying to delete/recover from it, just make a new email account and register a new commander there.

I've just added another yahoo mail account on another machine and it is very easy. www.yahoo.com and register a name of your choosing, make note of it and your password ! Alternatively, use gmail or one of the other services.

Then go to Epic and log in there, using your new email account name. Make a note also of the user name and password that is required for your new Epic account.

When you get to download Elite Dangerous, and it is ready to run, x out the invitation to link your account. Just log in to Epic via your new email and run it entirely separate from your existing frontier account, as if you are a different user.

I have set up a new email and user name on epic, downloaded Elite
Did not link but X out of that screen
The next screen asks for Elite Dangerous details Not your Epic details, when I enter my new email address and password it comes up with invalid credentials or failed
If I enter my Elite credentials I'm back in my Corvette, not what I want.
So what should I put in log in with your Elite account screen

I have set up a new email and user name on epic, downloaded Elite
Did not link but X out of that screen
The next screen asks for Elite Dangerous details Not your Epic details, when I enter my new email address and password it comes up with invalid credentials or failed
If I enter my Elite credentials I'm back in my Corvette, not what I want.
So what should I put in log in with your Elite account screen
The new Frontier account you should of created with the new email and linked to that Epic account.

^ Exactly that.

If you log in via Epic with your existing Frontier account, all you're doing is accessing your existing Commander via Epic. You need to make a wholly new account on the Frontier site, using a wholly new e-mail and then when you're at the 'log in with your Elite account' screen you're talking about, log into that new Frontier account, NOT the old one you've been using before.

I had a free account on Epic that I left till today to set up - dear lord that was fight.
Set up on a different computer from any of my regular gaming ones (building and fixing computers is what I do - so always plenty of kit about)- and when creating a "new" account to link - it wouldn't accept any variant of a Googlemail address - ended up using my work e-mail (my main account is on a totally diffrent e-mail from both of these) - kept saying the gmail versions were not a "valid format" ?
Then it sent me a confirm link - that when clicked said "invalid code" (there was no code just a "click here" link). I thought lets try and log in anyway without confirming - and that immediately sent another e-mail - this time with a code .... and that code worked - hooray.
After sorting some settings it wouldn't see the joystick so logged out - changed USB port - updated driver - try to log back in .... invalid username .....
Reboot, now the same "invalid" log-in stored in the launcher now works and it at least see's a joystick - just a generic , not a Tflight X which used to pull in a profile (fact still has one on the main laptop) - but good enough for me to manually map, and finally it seems to be working, but damn that was a fight.
If i was a genuine "newbie" and hadn't been playing since beta, I would have probably given up and binned the whole thing, not a slick experience at all.

I got the free account from Epic fact two not that I wanted two, but both when I log in to Elite neither of them are new accounts with a sidewinder.

I have asked Epic and they recommend deleting my Epic account, but it can take up to 14 days action, that will be to late to then take up the offer.

Can any kind commander explain what I am doing wrong, and what I should do.

I'm afraid that at 72 I am not as computer literate as some of the young ones out there.

You can also find information here :

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

I also had pure arxing about to get it sorted and bear in mind here that I did know exactly what I needed to do before I even started, still ended up with a new frontier account that wouldn't let me log in and some shenanigans with the Epic account also, but it all sorted itself out in the end.

I'd just say remember there's no rush here - the free account is available until Wednesday, so just take a step back from the keyboard if it's winding you up OP, then come back to it tomorrow and if necessary just start the whole thing from scratch once you've got the whole process clear in your mind from beginning to end.

I also had pure arxing about to get it sorted and bear in mind here that I did know exactly what I needed to do before I even started, still ended up with a new frontier account that wouldn't let me log in and some shenanigans with the Epic account also, but it all sorted itself out in the end.

I'd just say remember there's no rush here - the free account is available until Wednesday, so just take a step back from the keyboard if it's winding you up OP, then come back to it tomorrow and if necessary just start the whole thing from scratch once you've got the whole process clear in your mind from beginning to end.
This.
I read the FDEV support articles and several forum threads.
Still managed to get never-ending verification code roulette, error 500, you need to purchase E: D and windows Defender has blocked EliteDangerous64.exe from accessing the internet before I was in with my free noobie account.

This.
I read the FDEV support articles and several forum threads.
Still managed to get never-ending verification code roulette, error 500, you need to purchase E: D and windows Defender has blocked EliteDangerous64.exe from accessing the internet before I was in with my free noobie account.

Yeah I pretty much collected the set too :D

I created a new frontier account on a new email, and confirmed the email.

I created a new epic account using that new email, and confirmed the email.

I logged out of epic (my existing account), and in to my new clean empty epic account. Claimed Elite. Downloaded Elite.

Launched elite from the epic launcher, the frontier launcher starts and asks you to link the account, make sure you are not linking to your old frontier account, but the new one.

Elite starts first time.

Sir were you able to get help/figure it out or are you still struggling with it? I just finished up a thing and could help ya through it if you'd like.

I'm reminded of the fairly regular carry on to claim Twitch Prime gaming rewards in World Of Tanks - link account, unlink account , re-link - log in , log out - restart - run round the building three times backwards, - meanwhile the "same" rewards process for Destiny 2 is "click here to claim" - click - done.
Frontier for the sake of my sanity, never , ever under any circumstances give us anything free via Twitch Prime - I don't think I could stand it.

Last edited:
I created a new frontier account on a new email, and confirmed the email.

I created a new epic account using that new email, and confirmed the email.

I logged out of epic (my existing account), and in to my new clean empty epic account. Claimed Elite. Downloaded Elite.

Launched elite from the epic launcher, the frontier launcher starts and asks you to link the account, make sure you are not linking to your old frontier account, but the new one.

Elite starts first time.
The only thing I did different to the above was use an existing Epic account (that had no link whatsoever to my existing Frontier or steam accounts or the associated e-mail) - so in theory should have been as easy as that .....

The only thing I did different to the above was use an existing Epic account (that had no link whatsoever to my existing Frontier or steam accounts or the associated e-mail) - so in theory should have been as easy as that .....
Yeah, theory and practice, completely different when it comes to launcher login loops of shame :D I tried to go as clean as possible on both and it seemed to work. I was surprised to be honest!

I already had an Epic account from when they gave away Subnautica ages ago so I downloaded my free copy of Elite on that . However that Epic account was set up with the same e-mail that my main Frontier account uses, so to be safe I changed the Epic account e-mail to a different one via the account settings first. Worked fine.

The new Frontier account you should of created with the new email and linked to that Epic account.
^ Exactly that.

If you log in via Epic with your existing Frontier account, all you're doing is accessing your existing Commander via Epic. You need to make a wholly new account on the Frontier site, using a wholly new e-mail and then when you're at the 'log in with your Elite account' screen you're talking about, log into that new Frontier account, NOT the old one you've been using before.
Thanks for adding the above .... strange thing is, I don't remember creating a new Frontier account, yet somehow end up running the game through Epic launcher.

But since the above works, Cmdr Scorpion should be able to get it to work for him :)

Top Bottom