My experience with the Gnosis Incident: Potential, Reality, Feedback

So, as many other players, I too did come to the gnosis to make the jump. I was very excited, even put my alarm to be awake and playing as soon as the servers would be availible again and be one of the first guys to be out there and explore, fight and whatnot.

Now, the first thing I found out when I got on my PC was that we apparently had moved, but not enough. Then I checked the forums and reddit and voilà: Interdicted. - Cool, I thought! Well, even if we are not going to see what the cone nebula holds, we get to fight some Thargoids and maybe see some other new stuff. This also implies that there is indeed something in the cone sector important enough to lock it up.

Paranoid as I am I had a large array of weaponry and equipment transferred to the gnosis before the jump date, so I was ready to hop into the action and get payback with a fully engineered and anti-thargoid equipped krait.

This moment never really came, though. Why? The first thing that happened when logging in was: Bzzzt! EMP'd! The next four times too. As there was a bug that would make the ship unresponsve after receiving an EMP while docked, I had to relog everytime.

Then I finally got out, some scouts around. My railguns burst into a laughter of inferno and shred the first scout crossing my sights. 50 credit fine gained for firing in the no-fire zone. Thanks.

An hour later, this was fixed too luckily! So, into battle! Many scouts died by my hands and I had almost 4 million credits in combat bounds racked up. Then I felt confident enough to go for the bigger interceptors, my friends came online meanwhile and after spending more time protecting the gnosis we all wanted to see some interceptor action.

around thirty NHSS level eight or nine later, we gave up. All we got was one hydra that instagibbed one wingmate and heavily damaged us all and 29 empty signal sources that countained debrid or a sensor/probe.

There were no Cyclops, no Basilisks and no Medusas around.

After scouting the surrounding sectors we also only found those spotty NHSS 8+9.

Now I wonder: The jump got canceled, this didn't really get me salty unlike a lot of players, it's all about doing something with my friends. But then only having easy as hell scouts and the hardest thargoid yet availible spawn in an even that could have possibly been one of the greatest battles of history is beyond me. There are now a load of well-equipped AX-ships on the gnosis, and then you only give them the choice between scouts and the nastiest MF the universe has seen yet?

The true potential of this interdiction was to have a real war-like situation in a remote region of space. I still ask myself why thargoid combat zones did not yet get introduced, all we want is something to shoot at. The thargoids interdict us and then troll us by letting four scouts at a time come close and tickle every pilot with more than 300 shields.

To make this event better FDev, it would be nice to consider:

- Having all kinds of thargoid ships spawn in the sector
- Making NHSS not empty 90% of the time
- Letting bountied or fined players not respawn 1,7k LY away. (Today I actually had a bounty for the first time and handed myself in, I never had anything to do with C&P, now I got moved almost 2k ly away for a 100 CR bounty for having one of my remote flak projectiles explode close to my friends after he left the wing *facepalm*) Seriously, what is this? It probably cost 6m credits to move my Krait for a HUNDRED CREDIT BOUNTY.
- Simply fixing common bugs like the ones listed above before having something like this happening.
- Create a CG around it. -> Why would you not use this opportnity? It would be AWESOME to rally people to help a player-group. Who thought that it would be a bad idea. Just quickly let a CG slip in.
- More interdictions, we're stranded in an ammonia world close to a region that is important enough for the bugs to throw us out of our megaship and send their elite forces. Why let pilots scour around like rats?

All in all, this has still the potential to become more than a scoutslaying party and get some more dynamic. It's there, just USE IT!

Greetings from the Quarry in the Cali Nebula, :D

Genoscythe

As my personal feedback (adding to what the OP already said):

it was a good decission to move the interceptors away form the Gnosis so they stopped shooting cmdrs as they took off. Ok, I would do EXACTLY that if I was a thargoid, but sometime gameplay may come before good military tactics :D.

At present the scouts do charge towards teh Gnosis and get eventually vaporised. Even a single AX ship is able to take down tens and tens of those little doggies. I would like to propose that, after a number of scouts have been destroyed by human players, Interceptors start to pour in, and more will come as they get destroyed. We want to fight REAL battles alongside the Gnosis!

I too was sent to the Quarry in the California Nebula, but im back at the Gnosis. And despite everything, and what everyone moans about, to me, this has been a great experience in Elite. And there's also content for everyone's taste: There's pew pew, pvp and exploring. It seems that the whole sector is crawling with Thargoids, Bases and Barnacle Forests. So there's a lot of stuff to find there.

And yeah, a couple of CGs would be very cool. One for commodities to be delivered to the Gnosis, and another for killing Thargoids. With 11.000 players there, im sure a few would be willing to make a contribution!

So, as many other players, I too did come to the gnosis to make the jump. I was very excited, even put my alarm to be awake and playing as soon as the servers would be availible again and be one of the first guys to be out there and explore, fight and whatnot.

Now, the first thing I found out when I got on my PC was that we apparently had moved, but not enough. Then I checked the forums and reddit and voilà: Interdicted. - Cool, I thought! Well, even if we are not going to see what the cone nebula holds, we get to fight some Thargoids and maybe see some other new stuff. This also implies that there is indeed something in the cone sector important enough to lock it up.

Paranoid as I am I had a large array of weaponry and equipment transferred to the gnosis before the jump date, so I was ready to hop into the action and get payback with a fully engineered and anti-thargoid equipped krait.

This moment never really came, though. Why? The first thing that happened when logging in was: Bzzzt! EMP'd! The next four times too. As there was a bug that would make the ship unresponsve after receiving an EMP while docked, I had to relog everytime.

Then I finally got out, some scouts around. My railguns burst into a laughter of inferno and shred the first scout crossing my sights. 50 credit fine gained for firing in the no-fire zone. Thanks.

An hour later, this was fixed too luckily! So, into battle! Many scouts died by my hands and I had almost 4 million credits in combat bounds racked up. Then I felt confident enough to go for the bigger interceptors, my friends came online meanwhile and after spending more time protecting the gnosis we all wanted to see some interceptor action.

around thirty NHSS level eight or nine later, we gave up. All we got was one hydra that instagibbed one wingmate and heavily damaged us all and 29 empty signal sources that countained debrid or a sensor/probe.

There were no Cyclops, no Basilisks and no Medusas around.

After scouting the surrounding sectors we also only found those spotty NHSS 8+9.

Now I wonder: The jump got canceled, this didn't really get me salty unlike a lot of players, it's all about doing something with my friends. But then only having easy as hell scouts and the hardest thargoid yet availible spawn in an even that could have possibly been one of the greatest battles of history is beyond me. There are now a load of well-equipped AX-ships on the gnosis, and then you only give them the choice between scouts and the nastiest MF the universe has seen yet?

The true potential of this interdiction was to have a real war-like situation in a remote region of space. I still ask myself why thargoid combat zones did not yet get introduced, all we want is something to shoot at. The thargoids interdict us and then troll us by letting four scouts at a time come close and tickle every pilot with more than 300 shields.

To make this event better FDev, it would be nice to consider:

- Having all kinds of thargoid ships spawn in the sector
- Making NHSS not empty 90% of the time
- Letting bountied or fined players not respawn 1,7k LY away. (Today I actually had a bounty for the first time and handed myself in, I never had anything to do with C&P, now I got moved almost 2k ly away for a 100 CR bounty for having one of my remote flak projectiles explode close to my friends after he left the wing *facepalm*) Seriously, what is this? It probably cost 6m credits to move my Krait for a HUNDRED CREDIT BOUNTY.
- Simply fixing common bugs like the ones listed above before having something like this happening.
- Create a CG around it. -> Why would you not use this opportnity? It would be AWESOME to rally people to help a player-group. Who thought that it would be a bad idea. Just quickly let a CG slip in.
- More interdictions, we're stranded in an ammonia world close to a region that is important enough for the bugs to throw us out of our megaship and send their elite forces. Why let pilots scour around like rats?

All in all, this has still the potential to become more than a scoutslaying party and get some more dynamic. It's there, just USE IT!

Greetings from the Quarry in the Cali Nebula, :D

Genoscythe

What? you mean the C&P system punishes the innocent and defenceless? I have never heard that before :D

The C&P system is really sad, you make one slip up and your screwed over, mass murders/ Griefers can get away with all crimes as there is no scaling on bounties, no actual punishment for actions. and there is no incentive to actually kill them as FDev nerf the pay into holy hell.

To provide FDev with the most ungodly insult known to man... You C&P system is worse than Australia's!!!!! you guys will need an icepack for that burn! :D :D

it was a good decission to move the interceptors away form the Gnosis so they stopped shooting cmdrs as they took off. Ok, I would do EXACTLY that if I was a thargoid, but sometime gameplay may come before good military tactics :D.

At present the scouts do charge towards teh Gnosis and get eventually vaporised. Even a single AX ship is able to take down tens and tens of those little doggies. I would like to propose that, after a number of scouts have been destroyed by human players, Interceptors start to pour in, and more will come as they get destroyed. We want to fight REAL battles alongside the Gnosis!

Would be very cool, perhaps in Open there is no cap on Interceptor types, but in solo I may want to run after just the Basilisk comes in :D

But yes, glorious battles would be epic!

To be fair, it's the first time frontier did this kind of event, so bugs were likely to happen, and they got fixed.
Not seeing any other variants must have been bad luck, I saw a video of Canonns Red Wing where they had several medusas.

I was kinda late to the action as I had to work, so when I came one I could only see a few scouts getting killed by other commanders, would've loved to see interceptors EMP-ing the Gnosis :D
I only had an ICourier up there tho, I'm planning to bring my Anaconda today to hunt some scouts if there are still some around.

Yes, getting EMP'd and instakilled was kinda poor, luckily I stayed inside, but I saw several commanders getting eaten alive :-(

I too was sent to the Quarry in the California Nebula, but im back at the Gnosis. And despite everything, and what everyone moans about, to me, this has been a great experience in Elite. And there's also content for everyone's taste: There's pew pew, pvp and exploring. It seems that the whole sector is crawling with Thargoids, Bases and Barnacle Forests. So there's a lot of stuff to find there.

And yeah, a couple of CGs would be very cool. One for commodities to be delivered to the Gnosis, and another for killing Thargoids. With 11.000 players there, im sure a few would be willing to make a contribution!

I also don't wanna ride the hate-train. Sometimes things that aren't planned happen, and it's actually quite logical that the thargoids would pull us out and shoot us. With the current way thargoids are introduced simply nobody thought about that possibility. I also want to praise Fdevs will to make something out of it, but also not say everything is perfect as-is. I hope we make some mroe discoveries today, already had some fun at the barnacle forests yesterday.

To be fair, it's the first time frontier did this kind of event, so bugs were likely to happen, and they got fixed.
Not seeing any other variants must have been bad luck, I saw a video of Canonns Red Wing where they had several medusas.

I was kinda late to the action as I had to work, so when I came one I could only see a few scouts getting killed by other commanders, would've loved to see interceptors EMP-ing the Gnosis :D
I only had an ICourier up there tho, I'm planning to bring my Anaconda today to hunt some scouts if there are still some around.

It's not bad luck if you have four players searching for several hours. If Cyclopses, Basilisks and Medusas would properly spawn we would have noticed. Only signal sources in the sector are NHSS8+9, go searching and you will know, only because canonn found medusas does not mean they spawn properly. One of the main problems seems to be that theres only scout-killing for non-expert thargoid hunters. Better than nothing, but still room for improvement.

If you mobius, maybe we will run into each other at the gnosis, dont forget to bring limpets and a bit of cargo, lots of thargoid materials whirring around^^

Sounds like some fun after bugs were managed. I would agree that some variation between super easy and impossible but for the best of the best should exist.

It would be kind of cool if something similar (fixed from what is learned on the gnosis experiment) would occur during normal station attacks. Then again, we might just let stations get attacked for the increased fun and activity on thargday.

Sounds like some fun after bugs were managed. I would agree that some variation between super easy and impossible but for the best of the best should exist.

It would be kind of cool if something similar (fixed from what is learned on the gnosis experiment) would occur during normal station attacks. Then again, we might just let stations get attacked for the increased fun and activity on thargday.

Yes, after the bugfixes came it was a lot better, and most thanks to my friends, we all made the trip to the gnosis together. Impementing things like actual thargoid raids on stations, asteroid belts or planetary sites would be the beginning of a thargoid interaction that all can "feel", additionally it would probably prove that Fdev still are somehow conencted to the community. I don't wanna say that everyone would love it, but judging after my own sightings from reddit and these forums it seems like a desired feature that there needs to be more of a warlike situation to make things believable.

This is also why I see the gnosis incident as an opportinity for FDev to show what they can do.

Top Bottom