My explorer build.. any improvement appreciated.

3A scoop is the worst idea I have ever heard. Rule #1 of building exploration ships - biggest slot is for the scoop. The only possible exception to that is if using a Clipper with no additional fuel tanks since a class 7 scoop to fill a class 4 tank is overkill even by my standards.

Other than that, the general build and most of the ones people have linked are fine.

3A scoop is the worst idea I have ever heard. Rule #1 of building exploration ships - biggest slot is for the scoop. The only possible exception to that is if using a Clipper with no additional fuel tanks since a class 7 scoop to fill a class 4 tank is overkill even by my standards.

Other than that, the general build and most of the ones people have linked are fine.
Yeah, I generally prefer having at least the same size as the FSD, or sometimes even one size up from that.

Of course you could just do economic route plotting and save the range potential for when you need it, but, yeah... I'd rather use other ships instead.

I took a DbS out to Sgr A back in 3301/2015. As far as I know, that's the only ship with a slower fuel scooping potential than the DbE. Let's just say I haven't used the Diamondback ships much since then. :)

The FSS game-play loop is another matter for me, but that's getting a bit off topic here. I only mention it for the proportional amount of time it takes.
But if you are using a DBX the time scooping can be used for the FSS - provided you have placed yourself at the 'top' of the star the whole orbital plane can be scanned, that way you don't notice how slow the scooping is :)

I took a DBX to Beagle near Christmas, if the cockpit could have a fresh lick of paint I could get to really like it 🤷‍♂️

But if you are using a DBX the time scooping can be used for the FSS - provided you have placed yourself at the 'top' of the star the whole orbital plane can be scanned, that way you don't notice how slow the scooping is :)

I took a DBX to Beagle near Christmas, if the cockpit could have a fresh lick of paint I could get to really like it 🤷‍♂️
Fair point, I guess. I tend to only care for using the FSS rather selectively though, but that's just me.

Fair point, I guess. I tend to only care for using the FSS rather selectively though, but that's just me.
I know how you feel about it, it was an illustration of getting over the slooooowww scooping :)

Sadly I have a feeling there will be no happy medium re: scanning that would please both you & me due to arrive anytime soon, but we never know.

The DBX is a great Hub taxi, and with 4 PD's is good for the Thargoid sites. Alas, as an explorer, the 4A fuel scoop is just slow enough to become an aggravation for extended travel.

I'd use an ASP, Anaconda, or a Phantom.

Indeed.

Much as I like the AspX, the Phantom is the better exploration ship.
Can't link to my builds but my AspX is a "tin-foil" build and it gets 70Ly.
My Phantom is armed and has SBs, as well as having more internals, and still gets 70Ly with the same FSD.

The DBX is one of my main "daily driver" ships but that's cos I can refuel it at stations.
I've taken it out to the Guardian sites and mat' gathering and long-distance travel is usually a case of "casual scooping" for about 10 jumps and then I'm forced to stop and re-fill my tank before I can carry on.

If you're the sort of explorer who likes to stop in every system and FSS it, I guess it won't be a problem but if you want to do any serious travelling, it becomes a bit of a nuisance.

Course, there's still a significant difference in cost.
DBX Explorer: Cr15m
AspX Explorer: 50m
Phantom Explorer: Cr80m

Time was, that would have been something to consider but these days, not so much.

Coriolis isn't loading for me atm so I can't see the other builds. But this is my best build for it. There is room for utilities and other things if desired. Just turn them off till needed or stick them on 5.

DiamondBack Explorer Optimal

I have things that should be off in priority 5 for faster access. You can simply change priority to 1 instead of waiting for them to turn on.

DiamondBack Explorer maxed

Here's one with everything filled. Change out what is needed. PD are for guardian site farming. Everything else is whatever you want. Change out as desired.

Last edited:
Ive been playing since Xmas. My missus got me a poo picking pc and a rift s.
Since playing elite I've grown rather fond of it. And all its quirks. Combat, exploration, and soon to be wing stuff too. Joined a cool bunch.
So. OP me asked for a build for a ship and got sooooooo much more. I appreciate all the posts read em all.
I've decided on a compromise. Certainly not a paper plane I'm not experienced enough for that. I wanted guns and a mining laser chaff and heatsink. Got all that too. So the final build is -
Lightweight alloy reflective plating.
PP settled on 3A overcharged G5 stripped.
Thrusters (471ms boost yay..) 4D G5 dirty drag drives.
5A fsd increased ranged G5 mass manager.
3D life support lightweight G5.
PD 3A engine focused stripped.
3D sensors lightweight.
5C fuel.
4H Gfsd.
4A fuel scoop.
2G planetary hangar.
3D shields. Thermal resist/block. Gives me 40% to 50% across all 3.
2E cargo for limpets.
2A afmu lightweight.
1A collector lightweight.
DSS.
2 gimballed 3C & 2F multi cannons G5 efficient corrosive.
Miners laser.
Heat n chaff lightweight.
All packed into a diamond back explorer capable of 70.07Ls max. 471 boost. With guns !!!
Happy as Iam... Will build once I've finished my python tank.
Remember this isn't just an explorer. It's my 2nd ship multi role unlike the heavier more combat orientated python. Ive built this to run rep missions too so need evasive capability and guns if need be momentarily till fsd kicks in. This ship might well make the python redundant lol.
Thanks all.

Last edited:
Armor: Still Light Weight, which is pointless since it weighs nothing.

PP. Overcharged and then has the Stripped-Down XFX.
That means it's going to run hot.
You should apply the Thermal Spread XFX.

PDist: Bigger than it needs to be.

Fuel Scoop: G5 Armored? Waste of power. Leave it stock.

Shield: Is there any reason you want a thermal-resist shield?
While exploring, the most likely damage you're likely to sustain is kinetic.
Let's face it, if you get into a fight with anything that's shooting lasers at you, your shield isn't going to be much use.

Collector Controller: Everybody loves an optimist but you're probably not going to find anything that requires Collector limpets while exploring.
If you do find anything interesting floating in space, you can always scoop it manually if you really want to.
Be aware that if you are carrying any cargo, you'll attract pirates in inhabited space... which takes us back to the point about your shield really only being good enough to absorb impacts from angry rocks.

Weapons: You've got a couple of honking great MCs which can do a substantial amount of damage but they're fitted to a ship with only 80mj of shield.
Basically, with only 80mj of shield, you should really only be thinking about exploding the odd Sidey or Adder, which you could do with a couple of overcharged C1 MC's.

Power management: Stuff switched on when it doesn't need to be, which means fitting a bigger PP than necessary.

To add to this, I strongly advise to still have enough reserve power to activate at least any one of the deactivated modules without going over 100%. And properly set your power priorities.

well, for example: my 77LJ Anaconda goes 150%, if I start all three 6BAFMU, while automatically stopping thusters, FSD and Shields. The FSD is repaired in a fly with three AFMU in parallel, and after finishing I deactivate all three and everything restarts just fine.

It is an absolute paper-build. Only to travel between Colonia and the Bubble. But I manage to do it in about 2 Hours.

OP, please consider these changes:
DiamondBack X for deep exploration

If you plan on going deep, you need tools to repair both modules and hull, in case of any accident. Fuel scoop size is not an issue, since what you have most is time. You need the srv to collect materials, but you also need cargo space for limpets, in case you need repairs.
Mine laser is there for those cases where you get stuck in a system with asteroids but no land-able planets.
1 extra heat sink, for emergency. You can have it off, to save power.

Better than this? Exchange to an Asp and get space for a fuel transfer limpet. Join the fuel rats and keep an eye for stranded ships on your journey into darkness.
Cheers.

Fuel scoop size is not an issue, since what you have most is time.

Time to overheat while trying to fill your tank? ;) It's a topic of personal preference it seems, but I still would always put the best scoop one can afford in the biggest slot. I want to spend that time actually exploring, not orbiting a giant fusion reactor...

OP, please consider these changes:
DiamondBack X for deep exploration

If you plan on going deep, you need tools to repair both modules and hull, in case of any accident. Fuel scoop size is not an issue, since what you have most is time.

:unsure:

That build has a 4E cargo rack and then a 3A fuel scoop.

Why not just, y'know, fit a 4A Fuel Scoop and a 3E cargo rack?
Seems like you're fitting a sub-optimal fuel scoop for no good reason.

I don't see the point about fuel scoop so much. As long as i'm not on the run to save a stranded pilot, I just have to find the optimal fuel scoop intake for the ship and keep at that. It will never overheat, and I can scan the system while doing it. Or watch youtube. It's perfectly safe.
I use a Krait phantom with 60ly jump, and I always carry with me at least 20 limpets for Search and Rescue.

Yup firstly my bad it's a reinforced hull lightweight. Changed the scoop to 4 and cargo for limpets to 3. Getting 68.4ly so gonner work on it to get 70ly.

Top Bottom