My first 24 hours

Having "discovered" Elite about 10 days ago and then watched 30 hours or so of varied content I took the plunge on thursday and ordered the disc and a Hotus 4 only been on a PS4 since earley December (got it to play Frostpunk) So yesterday I grappeled with the Hotus,The training and managed 2 missions beyond the freeby 53,748 credits

Today I thought I would carry on grinding with data missions till Im more familiar with the controls and soon found myself in my first pickle

Starting in Otergine -Aldrichs station I took two missions for Shapur and was flagged as I tried to jump "not enough fuel" hmm went back bought a sun scoop tried again via Wolfsegen and low and behold wrong star type

The missions dont appear to have a time limit so If I just carry on with other business and eventually buy something with a .5 increase in jump distance will the missions get transfered over to the new ship?

Yes, all your missions, data, and cargo (if it will fit) will transfer ships with you. Notoriety will also stay with you, but fines and bounties are tied to the ship you committed crimes in (and become hot).

Edit: as for not enough fuel, have you tried upgrading your FSD?

Last edited:
A bit limited as yet only visited a couple of stations thanks for the info re missions

It is unfortunately possible to plan a route with the route planner using your current maximum hyperspace jump range, and then collect mission cargo which makes your ship a bit heavier and thus temporarily shortens your jump range.

You then go to fly the route that's been calculated before you were carrying any cargo, and then find you can't then make the jump (because of the extra weight you picked up when you collected the mission cargo).

Another thing to be aware of is that your galaxy map can also be used to plot 'economical routes' which will involve more hyperspace jumps, but will actually conserve fuel quite considerably. The default setting for plotting routes is 'fastest routes' and you will find both of these options in the second tab from the left in the galaxy map, under the heading 'JUMP DATA'.

Elite has a LOT of subtle features which are fun to discover :)

Im enjoying the sublety needing to visit a futher out station I literaly bumped into a planet that was sheilding my destination lol

I havnt worked out yet how to take off my destination and travel to a new vector in system to quickly "uncloak" the destination rather than grind slowly around the planet but this isnt a problem Im using a notebook to keep tabs on what im doing and where ive been/need to go 200.000 as of last night Im not in a rush and the Hotus is slowly becoming more familiar

It's amazing how fast a planet can get in the way! If you're using the super-cruise assist then it will want to guide you in a direct line, but manual flying will allow you to adjust your route around planets and moons.

The Frame Shift Drive has a built in safety feature that automatically slows you down near planets and moons the closer you get (which can be useful if you want to actually use them to slow down) but worth knowing if you're trying to get someone fast.

There's a little timer that is visible when travelling in super-cruise when you have a destination selected, if you cut your throttle down into the blue coloured zone on the speed indicator when the timer gets down to 7 seconds you should avoid approaching too fast and overshooting the destination.

With practice, you can chop the throttle into the blue zone at 6 seconds but some of us will customise our controls and use a key binding to instantly select 3/4 throttle (I think it's 3/4 throttle, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) which should instantly bring it into the blue zone.

As far as I remember the blue zone is representing 3/4 throttle in super-cruise, and 1/2 throttle when out of super-cruise and flying in normal space.

Phew, Elite sure does take some careful explaining. If none of this makes sense have a look on YouTube for something like 'Elite Dangerous Blue Zone Throttle' and all will become apparent.

Keep having fun, I've been playing the game for years now and I'm still learning new stuff all the time. Honestly, all the time.

... I tried to jump "not enough fuel" hmm went back bought a sun scoop tried again via Wolfsegen and low and behold wrong star type
You can only scoop certain star types, KGBFOAM is an acronym we use for those you can scoop from.
See here for more info: https://confluence.fuelrats.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=1507609
It includes types of stars to scoop from, how to filter to find them, plot lines (when to look for fuel), how to filter for stations (if you don't carry a fuel scoop).

If you ever do get stuck and can't go anywhere, please call the Fuel Rats to refill you: https://fuelrats.com/i-need-fuel

The missions dont appear to have a time limit so If I just carry on with other business and eventually buy something with a .5 increase in jump distance will the missions get transfered over to the new ship?
Some missions are on timers (often days) and yes they will follow you about, they're not locked to a ship.

Upgrading your FSD to "A" rating is highly recommended for any ship.

I havnt worked out yet how to take off my destination and travel to a new vector in system to quickly "uncloak" the destination rather than grind slowly around the planet
A bodie's mass interrupts the FSD's ability to project it's bubble, which is why being close to a moon slows you down.
In SC the blue lines are sort of like topography lines, so as you fly towards a moon you will pass through line after line, if you fly parallel to them you speed isn't as impacted. Fly away and you increase speed.
So the way to get from one side of a system to the other is often to not fly in the plane of the planets orbiting the star, but fly "down" at a 45 degree inclination, then fly back "up" to reach your destination.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments I thought I would post as a beginner and use any tips proffered Ive done a large amount of "research"on you tube watched 30-40 hours before I started.

Today I put in 5 hours or so Im basicacly grinding back and forth between 5 systems or so doing courier runs I did upgrade my Side winder to make the jump I was stuck with yesterday and by the end of my session had reached 1.150.000 creds and bought a "Hauler" couple of tweaks now I can do my courier runs and up to 8 units of trade missions 4 Tea today got to friend on my rep so happy days

p.s. Im on a Hotus so throttle is direct

Ive got a saved book marks folder with fuel rats ,EDDB etc so as prepared as I can be

Last edited:
I've been playing for like 2 weeks and still feel like I've just scratched the surface. Just landed on planet for the 1st time yesterday and got my srv today. Flying around in the cobra mk3 which I think is a good start for beginners. Just upgraded my cargo racks to 36 capacity, you've got an abundance in fuel and atm can jump over 12ly in 1 sitting and able to do that 6 7 times before empty. Can also hold its own in combat in low rank battles however its shields are really weak. For just over 300k standard I would recommend this ship for general exploration and grinding missions.

Tips: Don’t fly without enough money to pay for an insurance rebuy and if you see one of these stars don’t try to fuel scoop it lol. I actually did that in an imperial eagle when I first began playing. First rebuy 😖

Attachments

• AD0BB7D7-ACDA-4CD7-B009-F6CD6A5B31EF.jpeg
    AD0BB7D7-ACDA-4CD7-B009-F6CD6A5B31EF.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 323
Also, be wary of distances from the entry star to the station/outpost or planet you are heading towards.
There is a risk of running out of fuel in system where these distances are great. This is one of the areas where the Fuel Rats can assist if this should occur.
Fly safe commander! o7.

Im still in the semi protected starter systems my new hauler will do 8.5 laden which is fine for now my game plan is to grind on till ive 5,000.000 or so and then try a bit of mining (Im aware of the Opal crash) I havnt had a combat yet except in the training and I did get attacked bt something today but survived Im aware of the rebuy but havnt had that yet Im aiming to learn my Hotus one step at a time in a modular form and wont try much combat till I can afford something half decent and have a cred buffer Had a look at the cobra just nowcould be the next one

I got started with exploration doing the road to riches. Lots of credits and very safe. I just used a DBX with the best jump range I could get. No one will bother you so no need for weapons just scanning and fuel scooping. Just play solo. You might find it boring but I like it. Got my first elite in exploration and unlocked Jameson Memorial.

Last edited:
I've developed a decent pirate eradication loop out of Sol, targeting pirates out of Bernards Star and Wolf 359. A loop takes approximately 40 minutes on average, and payouts range from 10mil low to 35 mil high on average. I made 50 mil on a few runs, but there were several overlapping missions involved from multiple stations in the Sol system.
It's been more profitable per hours spent than anything else I've done.
I'm on late night N.A., always up for some cooperative pirate termination.
Johnny-0- Sunday (PS4)

Having "discovered" Elite about 10 days ago and then watched 30 hours or so of varied content I took the plunge on thursday and ordered the disc and a Hotus 4 only been on a PS4 since earley December (got it to play Frostpunk) So yesterday I grappeled with the Hotus,The training and managed 2 missions beyond the freeby 53,748 credits

Today I thought I would carry on grinding with data missions till Im more familiar with the controls and soon found myself in my first pickle

Starting in Otergine -Aldrichs station I took two missions for Shapur and was flagged as I tried to jump "not enough fuel" hmm went back bought a sun scoop tried again via Wolfsegen and low and behold wrong star type

o7 fly safe cmdr, for now 😉

Sorry to hear that Commander, all part of the learning curve. Are you playing in Open or Solo?

If you are in Open, you could try switching to Solo, hitting a NAV beacon/CZ (Low Intensity) in a combat ship and get some combat practice, try out the different weapons, gimballed and fixed are best.

Eventually engineering your ship will help greatly, especially if you plan on doing lots of combat.

o7

Top Bottom