My Journey

for a trip to Colonia I wouldn't bother with a repair limpet controller (or cargo bay for that matter), Id rather have an SRV to explore planets when you need a break from All the jumps there..

I did the Sag A* and back (in my Sidey) and lost 5% hull, only due to my stupidity, hitting the stop zone on both an Earthlike planet (while taking an external shot) and getting to close to Sag A* itself.

There are lots of stations enroute that you could use to repair if needed..

here is a mod on my sidewinder build with minimal engineering.

as for having to repair an amfu - I've never had the need to repair one (even in my trip to Beagle Point)

Last edited:
I see your logic cmdr, but you are being over cautious. I would go for all d-rated core internals apart from the fsd which should be a-rated and engineered if possible. Then a 2A fuel scoop, an SRV a 1D shield gen and a DSS. As for the other two C1 slots its up to you, two afmu or a cargo rack and repair limpet ctrlr as you can craft limpets. Then you will get the most out of your exploring, things aren't that dangerous out there.

Please see my build in the orginal post - you'll see it's heavily engineered. This ship is designed for an extended stay in the black.

@mikekim I'm not just going to Colonia. I'm going to Sag A*, Beagle Point and be spending a few months out in the black. I'd rather eschew the SRV bay for lightness and the extra afmu.

Star Step is the ship and build I'm taking

Please see my build in the orginal post - you'll see it's heavily engineered. This ship is designed for an extended stay in the black.

@mikekim I'm not just going to Colonia. I'm going to Sag A*, Beagle Point and be spending a few months out in the black. I'd rather eschew the SRV bay for lightness and the extra afmu.

Star Step is the ship and build I'm taking
Yes cmdr, your core internals look fine, but you will be missing out by not being able to land. You may find something interesting when you scan a distant body that you want to investigate or you may just want break the monotony of jumping, scooping & scanning with some mat gathering. But fair enough, blaze you own trail cmdr and enjoy the trip.

Me personally would not venture out into the void without an SRV. If I had to choose I'd take the buggy over repair limpets but still fit an afmu though. You can take care to not bang up your hull but your modules degrade over time regardless.
Good luck CMDR!

I'm on my way to Colonia. After a couple of hours of jumping and scanning planets I decided I needed a break for the night ( last night ) so I landed on the nearest Orange planet as it helps my ship blend in and thus camouflage it against wandering space pixies ( They DO exist they slowly peel the paint of your ship, but you NEVER see them ). As luck would have it it also had some thermal vents so I stopped off to sniff them and update my Codex entries. Always useful to have couple of flask of thermal vapour on hand for those long boring Supercruises to a gas giant that promised whales but ended up being just microbes. If I can't fish for it it's not aquatic life! it's just aquatic boring!

onmyway.jpg
onmyway2.jpg

Today I stopped off at an ice planet to grab some ice for my Gin and Tonics. I thought I would go sniff the Carbon Dioxide Fumaroles this time. While "energised" by the "unique" fragrance of the nether pits of this little ice ball I decided "nnnggghhh... shhhhh.. what happensh if I shoot that cryshtaline clushter with a mining lasher?"

Do you know what? It came off! and I caught it in the cargo scoop before it landed. ALSO as long as you don't lower the landing gear you can scrap fragments off the surface, without damage if you're really, really careful!.

Win 2 for Star Step - Planet Prospecting without an SRV. This is a fun good game!

Yes, I know I have hull damage. I've been practicing my art and I have Gin and Tonics ( now with Ice ) but please acshept this picture of Flying Piceous Cobble ( This be my band name when I get back )
proshpecting.jpg

I've decided to stop sampling the local produce at every system on the way to Colonia. It's not conducive to me actually getting there. Though it has been educational. From now on it's straight Honk'n'Jump with only nightly landings to rest up. I know I don't need to land but It's nice to feel real gravity sometimes instead of the artificial in the ship. I know there's technically no difference, but somehow there is.

I'm so slow. I'm almost half way to Colonia though, 13,000 LY to go. I need to concentrate more and push through the existential pain of long haul space travel. It's a good thing Netflix and spotify are still going and provides ( presumably via ansible ) service out here in the black. I have a superb playlist from the early 20th Century. I believe they called it "swing".
almosthalf.jpg

Great to read of your exploits in Star Step.

I‘m a big fan of small ship exploration with a Sidewinder and Eagle set up for deep space shenanigans. Personally I couldn’t go without an SRV but that’s half the joy of using a small ship, focusing on your reasons for leaving in the first place and building for that purpose.

My friend Cmdr Artorius (ok, one of my alts) left the Bubble never to return a few weeks ago. A slow burn journey that’s only got him as far as the Statue of Liberty nebula so far - we departed on bad terms though as I told him he was ‘copping out,’ he took an AspX :)

Thank you, Rock Hunter. I have just parked up for the night on a small moon 296 Jumps from Colonia. Remember you can't repair your reactor so eventually that will enforce your return to at least somewhere that you can repair. Not sure how many stations are outside the bubble. Do you include Colonia in your definition of "Bubble"? If not then you're good I guess :). I myself am not on a non-return journey but my base will be somewhere in the Colonia mini-bubble.

He’ll stop in at various outlaying stations along the way as and when needed, he’ll need to stock up on coffee filters at some point.

Taking the Asp allowed space for an AFMU, repair limpet controller and a small cargo rack to allow limpet synthesis. Just the one SRV will mean being careful but there are plenty of available stations out there, it’s just when you get past Sag A that you’re on your own for a while. That said, he’s heading ‘East’ so it will be a while before he sees anyone.
By Bubble I just mean the Sol Bubble, the Colonia bubble is still mostly pioneer types even if it’s not what it was....before I started playing I should admit!

Welcome CMDR!
It seems you're not so keen to accept suggestions from more expert players so good luck on your journey anyway!

For your next trip I would suggest you to drop one AFMU: 2 are useless, you will never break one at the point that you can't repair your modules. I'm condifent enough to say that it's impossible! I would equip a 2nd AFMU only for RPG reason (immmhursion) and on bigger ships... but on a sidey... 🙄
I would have installed a Fuel Scoop 1A in the slot you're using for the 2nd AFMU.
And in the now-available 2size slot I would have installed an SRV hangar bay... if you expect to find Polonium, Arsenic and Yttrium in rings and asteroid belts...uff.. good luck! It's much easier to find these on planets at geological spots! Mining them is the very last option now that we have the new DSS.
I'm also a bit surprised to see no heat sink... Sometimes the game drops you in-between two stars and if you don't cool down quickly your ship you get some serious damage. I always keep one or two for those rare but scary moments!

Star Step 2

Welcome CMDR!
It seems you're not so keen to accept suggestions from more expert players so good luck on your journey anyway!

For your next trip I would suggest you to drop one AFMU: 2 are useless, you will never break one at the point that you can't repair your modules. I'm condifent enough to say that it's impossible! I would equip a 2nd AFMU only for RPG reason (immmhursion) and on bigger ships... but on a sidey... 🙄
I would have installed a Fuel Scoop 1A in the slot you're using for the 2nd AFMU.
And in the now-available 2size slot I would have installed an SRV hangar bay... if you expect to find Polonium, Arsenic and Yttrium in rings and asteroid belts...uff.. good luck! It's much easier to find these on planets at geological spots! Mining them is the very last option now that we have the new DSS.
I'm also a bit surprised to see no heat sink... Sometimes the game drops you in-between two stars and if you don't cool down quickly your ship you get some serious damage. I always keep one or two for those rare but scary moments!

Well, thank you for your condescension expert advice.

Ive found the 2 AFMU quite useful as they get used up quite quickly. Ability to repair each other aside I've emptied both in a single repair session, so I'm happy with my choice.

The class 1 fuel scoop fills much slower than the class 2. The sidey is very small and has a low heat capacity so it heats up to 100% very fast when scooping. The class 2 does a much better job without me having to break off and loop around for a second fill after cooling down, so I'm happy with my choice.

I've shown I can surface prospect with a mining laser and no SRV when I decide it's needed and I can explore the surface in the Sidey. Mining is the safer choice for the build I have but I can do both so, I'm happy with my choice.

The extra tonnage of the SRV bay takes 7 LY off my jump range which is a whopping 20%, a big deal when you have Max Jump of 36LY. So, again I'm happy with my choice.

I've never found I needed a heatsink. The bulk of the damage happens when you crash into a star and the damage is done right away which you can't sink away. I only use them when I'm running an SCB or two in combat on my main account's Plasma-Rail Krait. Again the HSL takes a noticable chunk off the Jump Range. In the side winder I don't hit 100% heat when jumping away from a star after I've crashed. So, I'm happy with my choice.

On my main account I've run explorers, combat ships, traders and I take part in BGS play with a large group of seasoned players, but sure I'm no expert and I don't claim to be , I've only been playing since December 2014.

I didn't realise I'd made a thread asking for advice on how to take a Sidewinder across the galaxy. I thought I'd made one on documenting my journey doing so in the ship build that I'd chosen to do. Either way it's clear that you don't like or respect the way I'm playing so please feel free to not make any further comments and unfollow this thread.

Last edited:
He’ll stop in at various outlaying stations along the way as and when needed, he’ll need to stock up on coffee filters at some point.

Taking the Asp allowed space for an AFMU, repair limpet controller and a small cargo rack to allow limpet synthesis. Just the one SRV will mean being careful but there are plenty of available stations out there, it’s just when you get past Sag A that you’re on your own for a while. That said, he’s heading ‘East’ so it will be a while before he sees anyone.
By Bubble I just mean the Sol Bubble, the Colonia bubble is still mostly pioneer types even if it’s not what it was....before I started playing I should admit!

Good show! I've been playing since launch and I've been a way widdershins around the rim in an AspEx ( even before engineering ) But this will be my first jolly to Colonia and Sag A*

On my main account I've run explorers, combat ships, traders and I take part in BGS play with a large group of seasoned players, but sure I'm no expert and I don't claim to be , I've only been playing since December 2014.

I didn't realise I'd made a thread asking for advice on how to take a Sidewinder across the galaxy. I thought I'd made one on documenting my journey doing so in the ship build that I'd chosen to do. Either way it's clear that you don't like or respect the way I'm playing so please feel free to not make any further comments and unfollow this thread.
Oh well, it seems I misunderstood your OP then. Bon Voyage

Top Bottom