My Journey

Core i5 3570k ( overlcocked to 4ghz ) Z77 Mainboard, GTX660, 16gb Ram. Running Mint 19.2 on a Samsung 500gb SSD I built it about 7 years ago and the tech was a year or two old then.
But can it run Crysis?

I'll show myself out...

dKuckvs.gif

Well, I knew it was possible to run Elite in Linux and Wine, but folks have problems with the launcher and third party apps like Voiceattack, so that limits at least for me, what is possible in Linux. My hardware is 2014 stuff, on an AMD FX-8350 4.0Ghz. (32GB Ram) with a GTX-1070Ti (16GB) and I feel the limitations of the hardware at 60fps or above.

Well done on playing Elite in Linux under Wine.

o7...

Try wine 5.2 Staging. It's what I'm using. I've never tried voice attack though I will be trying out an Occulus Rift once I get a graphics card upgrade ( Going to fit a GTX 1660Ti once I can afford it )

You may have problems running a GTX-1660Ti on such an old MB/Proc. especially under Linux. You may want to consider a full upgrade.

If your power supply is under 600 watts, you will need at least a 1000 watt PS to run that graphics card on your hardware.
I actually run a 660Ti which has a max power of 150W according to the spec sheet.

The 1660Ti being newer tech is actually more efficient and has a peak power of 132 W according to Toms Hardware

My current system if it accepts the card runs on a 500w supply and should cope fine even perhaps run a little cooler. I've always built my own machines and if I find I need to change the whole thing then the worst case is I've slightly prematurely bought a good graphics card. Feel free to add a reply here, however let's not turn this into a hardware spec thread. I'm very happy to discuss the finer points of system building in a private conversation.

Last edited:
You may have problems running a GTX-1660Ti on such an old MB/Proc. especially under Linux. You may want to consider a full upgrade.

If your power supply is under 600 watts, you will need at least a 1000 watt PS to run that graphics card on your hardware.
Not entirely true..
I'm running an older gen i7 (devils canyon - 1150) and a RTX 2080 Super, all from a 600w SFX psi with no issues

Not entirely true..
I'm running an older gen i7 (devils canyon - 1150) and a RTX 2080 Super, all from a 600w SFX psi with no issues

Ahh thanks and don't worry Mikekim, we've explored my system specs and the card specs in private and my system will indeed run a GTX1660Ti. As I say I don't want this to become a system spec thread.

After the mining I'm hoping to find something really fun out here :). I'm currently watching an old Earth TV Show called Star Trek Voyager. It's quite entertaining but their tech is so weird. How did they get it so wrong?

Hey @Peppermint Barnstorm you ever hear the spacepixies talking about you when you have been pushing too hard, too many jumps in a row? You know 'he's getting tired, he'll crash into the next star..' in a tiny voice just behind you? Been out for a while now, wonder if I need a break...

I'm too late to the discussion, but may I ask why you chose mining equipment over an SRV bay? I've just put the latter into your build (from the first post) and removed the mining stuff and the Cargo rack and got an even larger jumprange.

Edit: Forget about that. I found your answer. If you feel more comfortable with that setup than you should use that :)
Edit 2: But would you please post at the end of your journey how much your AMFU's and hull got damaged? I'm asking out of curiosity since I never flew into the void with repair limpets but I always had at least an AspX (and an Anaconda now)

Last edited:
4788 LY from my last repair

Hull 96%
Thrusters 93%
AFMU 1 96%
AFMU 2 97%
Cargo Hatch 93%
Mining Laser 94%
Fuel Scoop 98%
Power Distributor 91%
FSD 95%
Sensors 86%
Repair limpet 97%
Canoy 96%
Power Plant 97%
DSS 96%

I've had 2 emergency stops on stars ( I was careless) and taken a small amount of scrape when doing the surface mining ( Cargo Hatch Damage and 1% hull damage ) I'm curious about the sensor damage.

I did indeed use the repair limpets once already between bubble and colonia. They were quite useful. I also emptied both AFMU on that journey ( I was experimenting with surface mining and working out the best way to do it )

Today I crashed. Not badly. I'm still alive. I woke up after resting the night on an iceball. I took off from the surface using vertical thrusters only. I had not realised that the throttle was in the forward position. Because the ship had only just woken up as far as it was concerned the throttle was at zero. For the moment everything was fine.

I then went to the right hand panel as I realised I had powered down the frame shift drive. I powered it back up and while I was doing this the nose of the craft pitched down. Not a problem while the ship thinks it's at 0 throttle.

As the right hand panel put itself back in standby on returning my focus to look forward the ship suddenly realised that the throttle was fully forward and promptly sent full power to the engines. This propelled me vertically downwards into a snowdrift.

Minor hull damage. I'm down to 75%, so nothing terrible. I think from now on I will turn flight checks back on.

earthlike4.jpg

I solemnly promise not to upload every damn earthlike I find. It will get very generic. This is the last one for a long time now unless I find one made out of cheese or alabaster or something. Everyone cross fingers for me to find something really pretty.

landed.jpg

Landed on a High G Metallic in the same system. I decided not to try surface prospecting here. High G makes the thrusters struggle to maintain attitude and stability. Last thing I want to be is a greasy smear and a point of interest for someone else to find.

Parked on a pretty planetoid. Checked Star Step over for Pixies. None found. Paint still suspiciously nibbled. At least there are some decent vents here. It's been a while since I set down anywhere and the vapour flasks were all empty. Lots of Sulphur around. Everything is yellow. I looked at the stars, considered how they shone for me and everything I do. I wonder if someone will come along and write a song?

landed2.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom