My new goal is gathering lots of engineering mats, where is the place to go these days for good mats for trading down or up with?

Unlocking Professor Palin and Chole Sedesi requires 50 Sensor Fragments total. I'm not sure how you would gather those without logging in and out, they need to respawn at some point. Missions with Material rewards need to respawn too. Does it matter that its after 2 minutes refreshing / logging out or 2 days? I don't know. It does make the crafting system feel broken though. I can't fathom the amount of time it would take to accomplish anything significant in the game without using outside sources for reference. Is that intended gameplay or poor design? I think ignoring player relog farming is easy answer to fix the scale of resource gathering requirements. Otherwise, the respawn timer would be several minutes at least.
There are certain things that really suck to collect. Thats true. I nearly uninstalled ED relogging to collect the pattern epsilon data for the gaurdian crap. I think aspects of the game are just either a poorly thought out design or a cruel and sadistic way to spite players. I think back when I collected the sensor fragments, there wasn't really any thargoids yet and so any non human signal source was sensor or probe. Pretty sure relogging wasn't needed back then. Im sorry to hear thats needed now. Fly dangerous comrade but if the relogging drives you from the game like other players i have met, i wont blame you one bit.

Unlocking Professor Palin and Chole Sedesi requires 50 Sensor Fragments total....
I believe the sensor fragments are used only for one-time unlocking the engineers, not for engineering modules. Their desired quantity is pretty low (25x2) and then never again. I don't believe they have any value after unlocking the engineers.

I don't think they are relevant to the OP's question or subsequent posts. Relogging for them is certainly a quick & easy way to complete the unlock for the engineers, but not relevant regarding mats for engineering modules, or trading up/down.

That's not what your the OP said. It specifically said "I basically want to get the best mats I can, tons of them".

As Trolly said to get tons of mats kill lots of Anacondas and pick up the bits using limpets. Some other suggestions were given too. If a cmdr isn't ready for battling elite level anacondas, Resource Extraction Sites are a great place to practice combat, pick up lots of mats, and scan ship wakes for data. And scan all the ships at ports when you return for repairs & ammo. If you want to sit all day relogging at Davs Hope go ahead.
I find the g5 mats I can get as a reward for ferrying rich criminals around arent so bad for trading down perso. It’s work until I get bored and move on.
Do you think relogging is good or even intended gameplay? I'v done it. Lots of it, especially back before the modes had a common mission generator. I will never do it again because it sucks the life from the experience in an irredeemable way for me. As far as davs hope goes, my understanding is that place gives G4 materials at best. Anacondas however drop mostly G4 materials and frequently drop G5 materials. Not only did the OP say they wanted the BEST materials, they said they wanted to trade DOWN. Now you could conceivably collect enough G3 and G4 materials at davs hope to eventually, someday trade up to some G5 materials. You will never convince its faster or more fun than taking advantage of G5 materials pinatas sent to die on your spear in what is totally organic, somewhat challenging and fully intended gameplay.
touched a nerve. Apologies.

If you are close to maxing out the Bug Killer site provides raw materials. The Jameson Crash site provide encoded materials. Empire space takes care of the manufactured materials with Imperial Shielding. Then trade to max them out. Use them wisely.

Selenium (raw material grade 4) is not available in crystalline shards and I found trading it sideways to be a bit inefficient, especially with all the sites being so far from a raw material trader.

Below I posted my notes (a bit messy) on how to get selenium, with quotes from various posts in this forum and probably elsewhere.

Laser Mining Selenium (I tried this myself and filled selenium completely up, but it still took me some time):
Delkar 7, B Ring (rocky) drops Selnium when asteroids are mined (material content medium and high, in low I found none). It has a res, but I did find less Se there. Ignore the materials from the fragments or the cargo once processed and ejected (they are junk anyway) to prevent limpets from wasting time collecting them and keep pirates from jumping on you.
Strangepork: "Res sites also prompt larger yields. Pristine/Haz Res being the most bountifull.
Here is the trick DONíT fit a refinery. The limpets then focus solely on mats you arenít full of. The pirates leave you alone because you have nothing in the hold.
Very rare mats also drop surprisingly often.
Each ring type in differing locations drop different ranges and types of mat."

You can collect it in an SRV or small ship from surfaces, in that case only from geological sites and only from Crystalline Clusters as I understand.
"Wolf 587 4ea has the highest incidence of Selenium in the bubble, and something like 25 Geo' POIs where you can collect it from the mid-tier drops, which means each site can yield a dozen or so drops. Alternatively, if you're in Colonia, head for Eol Prou NH-K C9-10 A4a/A4b."

Getting Selenium:
  • Planets with Brains Trees
  • Planets with Geological Sites / without them, high selenium (>= 3.1%?) and good % ratio selenium vs. materials of the same drop category on the planet (Common, arsenic or vanadium plus zirconium). https://edtools.cc/selenium?s=sol
LTT 5212 ABC 5 b (Se=4.5%) (0.04 G) (ShinDez < 17.51 ly) Tiny, low gravity, but outcrops spawn really close to each other.
geo sites of LHS 417 9 E A. 4.9% Se and in total 2.5% of As and Zr means 2 out of 3 drops from crystalline fragments are selenium
HIP 83204 3 b A even better, Geological Signal (16). 5.01% Se vs 2.22% Zn+As 0.05G 38.23ly from sol, 1.93kls from star. Low grav but not too low , very nice to navigate, boosting and going high speed no problem, almost no annoying rocks or bumps that screw around with your SRV. Absolutely unobstructed landing possible with large ships without even having to bother to look for a proper spot.
Wolf 587 4EA, Not especially prevalent, but a quick visit to the Geo POIs will get you enough for a G5 mod.
prthi 2a Mesosiderites have 80% Se, other rocks 50%.
"Don't forget too that you can just collect surface mats from volcanic sites very easily in a Sidewinder, without SRV.
Just fly down, eyeball the nodes, shoot em off with a pulse laser and scoop em up.
You can strip a field a hell of a lot faster in a ship than an SRV, and it's fun :)"
"I use mines, blanket the area from high above, then quickly land, watch the fireworks show (the mines fall like snow, very slowly), then scoop. The problem with both of these methods though is you have to be super fast to get all the mats before they despawn. I usually just drop one batch of mines on a small area, then shoot the rest after landing. The worst case is you get loads of really good hits, and hardly have time to collect anything before all the materials despawn and you cleared the field for yourself for nothing! :D Blanketing an area with frag fire works too, but same problem."

"If ever you are at the bug killer site, try its neighbor 1b , it is loaded with lots of selenium. and more. on average, an hour there easily gets 100+
if you were not aware, bug killer has 3 cargo racks and 3 data points and thargoids to watch."
Every planet has 5 materials from the G1 pool in Piceous Cobble, 3 materials from the G2 pool (strangely including selenium) in Crystalline Fragments / Mesosiderides, 2 materials from the G3 pool in Crystalline Clusters and one material from the G4 pool in Needle Crystals.
The mesosiderite scan wave is the small one in the bottom of the wave scanner with a single line through it.

Interesting, I have always used lightweight sensors and long range wake scanners (so I can sit in one location and scan wakes all around me).

Does having wide range sensors slurp up data too?
Like one in four npc scanned either in normal or supercruise drops 1-2 data. This adds up over time. With wide angle you can stay flying on target. You do not need to aim for them as your angle goes up from 30 to 90 degrees

While looking at the Eagle option with a wake scanner I remembered using my Cobra for that in the past, and it is not fully engineered but has a long range wake scanner on it and some engineering to make it faster.

I exited my FC, and stayed busy for awhile just scanning wakes outside my carrier, even found a rare one in there. The system is in Boom, so I think I will go scan at the station, and also remove one of the many hull reinforcements off my Corvette and go to the CNB and kill tons of ships, but, send limpetts out after each kill to pick up the mats, there is no telling how many great mats I missed out on in the many thousands of kills I have in the past grinding to combat elite, and just recently getting my crew member to elite.

But those were two major goals, now I can kill at my leisure then pick up mats.

I guess I could even put the long range wake scanner on the Vette, or just go to the CNB, and Jolliet Enterprise in the Cobra for wake scanning.

I think it will be best to split it up between the two ships, contrate on killing for mats then collecting them in the vette, and scanning wakes in the Cobra utilizing it's samll size and great speed to hustle about.

The idea of an Imperial Eagle wake scanning specific build is exciting, but I may not be able to engineer it much if even barely right now, I am mat poor, except for a few very common mats and most of them would disappear very quickly trading up to anything.

I thank you all for the replies.

I tried the Imperial Eagle and lack the necessary mats to fully engineer the PD so I could not get it below 120 percent or so power usage in the module page on the right side menu, so gave up on it for now and will still use the Cobra as my wake scanning ship. I realized it has very little engineering but did manage to trade some mats and got the FSD to grade 5 in the jumping range department, and unlocked Tiana and now have a wake scanner with grade 5 long range on it, 8800 meters as opposed to the default 400 meters.

As for the killing of the large trading ships, I guess I might be better off "Pirating" along shipping lanes in an anarchy system, in two hours at a nav beacon in an anarchy system I never saw anything larger than a Keelback.

Are they at the res sites in good numbers?

A funny point, right outside my fleet carrier my first wake scan got me a datamined wake exception, and 2 more within 20 minutes, I then went to a very populated station and in 2 hours did not get a single datamined wake exception.

I tried the Imperial Eagle and lack the necessary mats to fully engineer the PD so I could not get it below 120 percent or so power usage in the module page on the right side menu, so gave up on it for now and will still use the Cobra as my wake scanning ship.
Normal Eagle, don't need Imperial. Buy the Enhanced Performance Thrusters from Felicity Farseer. Bob's your uncle!

Compromised Nav Beacons (often found in anarchy systems) seem to have the best return rate for me.

Normal Eagle, don't need Imperial. Buy the Enhanced Performance Thrusters from Felicity Farseer. Bob's your uncle!

Compromised Nav Beacons (often found in anarchy systems) seem to have the best return rate for me.
Doh! I used a smaller powerplant at first, once I changed it out it has plenty of juice to handle everything. Once I put fully engineered DDs on it it will be so fast, and put the fully engineered long range wake scanner on it, and it will be a fast maneuverable little wake scanner.

Need to do a little trading for mats to engineer it.

Well I took the DBX out after using a third party tool

I used it to find selenium and found a bit of it and other high grade mats, before going to the third geo site on the moon and driving the SRV down into a crevice after mats, lol.

I went to sliding and tumbling and at th bottom made the mistake of repairing the SRV hull, as I was not getting out, and my ship was not landing anywhere near me. I self destructed, went to Jameson and replaced the G4 FSD booster with a two SRV hangar, put in a G3 guardian FSD booster and will be ready to go again tomorrow.

I will not even approach the geo POI if it is in a crevice again, lol.

Far, far better (more efficient and more fun) to just have a session of exploding ships and hoovering up the remains.
Not as efficient as HGE farming, I suppose, but definitely more enjoyable.

Combat is an awful way to get materials. You'll mostly get G3 and below with a tiny amount of G4 and G5 and you have to keep stopping in between each kill to let your collectors work.

Top Bottom