My Odyssey Experience so Far

I've uninstalled Elite because at this point it just es me off every time I play it.

Its mostly the bugs. Every single time I log in to play and find something cool to do I hit a huge bug: Culling issues, lag spikes, disconnects, UI lock ups... Its absolutely infuriating! And part of what makes it such a frustrating experience is that it all feels totally unnecessary and it legitimately feels like the devs don't care. I know that's taboo to say, but what else am I supposed to think? I pre-ordered and played the alpha. Obviously it was buggy because it was an alpha. It was so buggy that I expected they might do a beta because in past updates, they ran a beta to catch more bugs. But instead we got a rush release that feels exactly like the alpha in all the worst ways. And while its nice that we got a message from David about it and we're getting some patches, it still feels rather malicious. There are a lot of other things I could spend my money on, but I chose Elite and all I got was a half-baked game that I can barely play and no explanation of why it was released this way and absolutely nothing to try to regain my trust or compensate me for putting up with it all.

And I know not everyone is experiences horrific bugs and some of you are going to show up and say stuff like "Oh everyone is so negative" or "well it works for me". I get it. I really enjoyed Odyssey when it worked. But that was such a small percentage of the time for me! I just wish there was more transparency about why the game was released this way and why so many weird decisions were made. Like, we still have no word about ship interiors.

I'd say "see you in August" but I kinda question if I'll actually play Elite again after this (cue the "bye Felisha" replies). I'll check in every now and then but Odyssey feels like money wasted to me.

They released the game in this state quite simply because they knew it would still sell. They believed releasing it in a completely broken state was a more financially sound idea than delaying it further. I for one, am done with buying anything at all from FD. I won't buy Odyssey, nor any of their other games, and I won't be playing or recommending Elite to anyone again. Having seen the state of the Alpha, just how much is broken, and witnessing FD's choice to release anyway, and seeing reviews of the company from former employees I can only recommend you steer clear of all future releases.

Watching the train wreck is interesting, though.

What the devs think doesnt really matter. Frontier made a decision to release it in this state because they either dont care about a quality product, or are so incompetent they cant produce a quality product and dont care about the player base.

Odyssey was either a low effort cash grab and a swindle, or the best Frontier can do.

If they were honest they would just offer everyone who bought odyssey refunds and you dont see them doing that do you?

Thats really bad news. A ton of people want ship interiors and I've read of a few who won't buy Odyssey without it.
I understand you, your original post and all.

People requested space legs to happen with the same intensity, for years. And FDev put alot of time and money to make that happen, and did not go bankrupt in the meantime. I personally choose to support the vision of Elite, because I'm aware that in that vision ship interiors have been from the start and that it actually has a promising future and a possibility of it happening.

The other option would of course be to uninstall, leave a bad review, get a refund if you can and go for something else. I suppose your alternative is Star Citizen, if you're looking for something similar. I suspect people will be funding that project with tens of millions of dollars before it's complete, and in it's complete form it will not fill the shoes that was made for it in the beginning.

Widen your perspective! Check out KiraTV's 17minute documentary in YouTube about Chronicles of Elyria. You'll maybe realize, it could all be so much worse.

The bugs are bad, really bad, frequently game breaking.
But for me what's worse is some of the things that are bad by design or by lack of design. eg:
  • Most of the new UI's
  • The new grind for mats just to get better suits and weapons just to make grinding for mats easier to get better suits and weapons just to....
  • Getting transported to a prison ship without your own ship if you just happen to have even the smallest of fines for something.
  • Mission fails on death, even if you technically completed the mission first. ie steal item, put it on ship, go back to get some mats - die, I respawn in ship with the item or data required - but the mission has been failed ( even if the mission was not a stealth mission ).
  • Threat 0 missions that turn out to have scavengers with high level shields, that then call for back up after you kill just one of them
  • Apex
  • On foot conflict zone's
  • Exo-Biology

I understand you, your original post and all.

People requested space legs to happen with the same intensity, for years. And FDev put alot of time and money to make that happen, and did not go bankrupt in the meantime. I personally choose to support the vision of Elite, because I'm aware that in that vision ship interiors have been from the start and that it actually has a promising future and a possibility of it happening.

The other option would of course be to uninstall, leave a bad review, get a refund if you can and go for something else. I suppose your alternative is Star Citizen, if you're looking for something similar. I suspect people will be funding that project with tens of millions of dollars before it's complete, and in it's complete form it will not fill the shoes that was made for it in the beginning.

Widen your perspective! Check out KiraTV's 17minute documentary in YouTube about Chronicles of Elyria. You'll maybe realize, it could all be so much worse.
I've looked into and played some of the other space games out there and the whole genre is in a bad place IMO. No Man's Sky and Elite are really the only two that seem to have any degree of decency to them. Star Citizen is an unfinished microtransaction machine. X4 and Eve seem like Spreadsheet simulators. At best, they are just OK and at worst, they are horrific wastes of time and money. And then there's my other massive complaint about the genre: There's a huge focus on multiplayer. Honestly, I don't like online games that much anymore. There's simply too many downsides that brings into a game, but no one is producing interesting single-player games for the space sim genre (or games in general these days, but that's another conversation).

The saving grace of Elite is that playing with other people is completely optional and, for the most part, the game delivered good experiences. If nothing else it gave me something to do while I binged Star Trek.
But for me what's worse is some of the things that are bad by design or by lack of design. eg:
  • Most of the new UI's
  • The new grind for mats just to get better suits and weapons just to make grinding for mats easier to get better suits and weapons just to....
  • Getting transported to a prison ship without your own ship if you just happen to have even the smallest of fines for something.
  • Mission fails on death, even if you technically completed the mission first. ie steal item, put it on ship, go back to get some mats - die, I respawn in ship with the item or data required - but the mission has been failed ( even if the mission was not a stealth mission ).
  • Threat 0 missions that turn out to have scavengers with high level shields, that then call for back up after you kill just one of them
  • Apex
  • Exo-Biology
There's a ton of bad design in Elite and there always has been. I'd love to see some of that stuff ironed out, but it doesn't matter one bit to me if I can't even play the game. I'd rather play bad design than fight bugs.

• Most of the new UI's
  • Apex
  • Exo-Biology
I was playing alpha and what i can see the previous alpha was more like beta and actual version is more like alpha...

Feel for you OP, I have been lucky and its been fairly OK bug wise, but seeing my friends list of 40 or so people and only 1 or 2 log in now is very sad, They have all given up and moved on cause of similar issues. Hopefully Odyssey will be greatly improved by the Console release (wishful thinking) and you will return and be able to enjoy the game.

Top Bottom