Ships My ships

Hello,
Looking for some advice on which ship to get next. It'll be for bounty hunting/combaty stuff/general pirate hunting fun.
Im currently flying a cobra mk3, that I tanked up a bit. Does pretty well, taken out some bigger/higher ranked ships with it, but find it's lacking in certain areas. mainly shields/armour, which seems weird to me considering what ive put on it, (but im still new so what do i know lol). Here's a link to the build of it:

cobra mk 3 (current ship)

So im thinking of either changing the cobra build to make it better defensively; or upgrading to this Vulture build:

Vulture (possible next ship)

What do lot think? Change to the vulture or stick with the cobra and mess with the build a bit?

Thanks in advance,
CMDR MReTwitch.

That vulture build won't work. You're using waaaaaay too much power. Deploy hard points and pretty much the entire ship will shut down.

Time for the engineer grind. Deffo go for the vultire, though.

Fair enough, did seem like a lot of shields and stuff on it haha. Ill have a play round with it.
Any suggestions? Saw one post that looked good, had frag cannons, with a load of armour and shields and stuff, but it was powered by engineered/modified power plant, thrusters and FSD; so not so good for my starting build (probably something for me to work towards tho :)).

Yeah engineers, got a couple of invites. I went to one, forget the name (but he was in system Wolf-359 or something) and had the multi-cannons on my cobra upgraded to lvl1 efficient (or whatever its called).

Cool, ill give the vulture a go :)

Thanks Stabby man

That vulture build won't work. You're using waaaaaay too much power. Deploy hard points and pretty much the entire ship will shut down.

Time for the engineer grind. Deffo go for the vultire, though.

I figured it out (I think anyway).

What do you think of this?

https://s.orbis.zone/5-pq

Played around with various combinations of weapons, shields, shield boosters etc to make best use of the available power, while still getting good DPS/shields.

I'd go with this If you're not big on engineering, but if you can do it, get those thrusters up to G5. You'll really notice the difference. Also, if you're playing PvE, you'll want to get the thermal resistance up, cos npcs usually go for lasers.

Good to see you know about power priorities.

[EDIT]

Might be worth noting that the Vulture has very strong shields for its' size. You've gone for a hull tank (which is fine), but it might be worth thinking about using that shield advantage that it gives you.

Last edited:
I'd go with this If you're not big on engineering, but if you can do it, get those thrusters up to G5. You'll really notice the difference. Also, if you're playing PvE, you'll want to get the thermal resistance up, cos npcs usually go for lasers.

Good to see you know about power priorities.

[EDIT]

Might be worth noting that the Vulture has very strong shields for its' size. You've gone for a hull tank (which is fine), but it might be worth thinking about using that shield advantage that it gives you.

Nice, that looks good, thanks :). Fair enough, ill look into engineers to get the thrusters and thermal resistanec upgraded.

yeah i did notice that when comparing it to my cobra mk3, (just over double my cobra). Not really got he power atm, so going to swap out some HRM for more shields when ive got more available (from doing engineery stuff).

Nice one for you help :).

Vulture is usually a stepping stone for many commanders looking to climb a ladder of combat ships. It's a good choice. If you've got some ranks in Empire you may have a look at Courier. Usually not recommended to really new commanders, it is a very fun little combat ship. A favorite of many. Surprisingly tough, possessing absurdly high shield values for it's size, and combined with blistering speed and good maneuverability. It requires slightly more delicate touch than a Vulture. But it might just be to your liking. I've got Courier way before I ever flew Vulture, and probably made my early combat attempts more difficult. But it taught me how to approach my combat a little bit more strategically.

Cheers guys, thanks for the tips.
I bought the vulture, called it Gross Zopilote.
Didnt like frag cannons that much, so going with multicannons for now (I also really like MCs lol), but might go back to frags later when ive got some engineer mods to fix what i dont like about them.
Its kinda funny, I left the vulture docked in Deciat while i went out in my cobra mk3 and did a load of bounty hunter work in Djiwal to fund the rest of the vulture build; somehow i managed to make enough cash to pay for the vulture, (about 15 mil) and still had 18 mil leftover :)

Cheers guys, thanks for the tips.
I bought the vulture, called it Gross Zopilote.
Didnt like frag cannons that much, so going with multicannons for now (I also really like MCs lol), but might go back to frags later when ive got some engineer mods to fix what i dont like about them.
Its kinda funny, I left the vulture docked in Deciat while i went out in my cobra mk3 and did a load of bounty hunter work in Djiwal to fund the rest of the vulture build; somehow i managed to make enough cash to pay for the vulture, (about 15 mil) and still had 18 mil leftover :)

With that sort of coin, I'd think about the Alliance ships (which one slightly depends on taste and whether you want a fighter hangar). I found them very chuckable, potent offensively and could take a bit of a beating. Transformed my budget combat. I think I'm in the minority but I moved on from the Vulture pretty quickly when I wanted to hunt bigger game.

o7

With that sort of coin, I'd think about the Alliance ships (which one slightly depends on taste and whether you want a fighter hangar). I found them very chuckable, potent offensively and could take a bit of a beating. Transformed my budget combat. I think I'm in the minority but I moved on from the Vulture pretty quickly when I wanted to hunt bigger game.

o7

Cool, i'm give them a lookm thanks :). Gone up against chieftains/crusaders/challengers (sorry cant remember which unfortunately) in my cobra mk3. They probably gave my the most trouble out of everything i've faced (closely followed by the FDL). Not sure my alliance rank is high enough for alliance ships, but ill check and if its not then its something to work towards :).

Going to see how i get on with the vulture, (since i only just bought it, reckon it would be a shame to sell it already), and if i dont like it (and dont have enough rank for an alliance or imperial ship), then i might try out a krait or FDL or something.

Cool, i'm give them a lookm thanks :). Gone up against chieftains/crusaders/challengers (sorry cant remember which unfortunately) in my cobra mk3. They probably gave my the most trouble out of everything i've faced (closely followed by the FDL). Not sure my alliance rank is high enough for alliance ships, but ill check and if its not then its something to work towards :).

Going to see how i get on with the vulture, (since i only just bought it, reckon it would be a shame to sell it already), and if i dont like it (and dont have enough rank for an alliance or imperial ship), then i might try out a krait or FDL or something.
IIRC there's no rank on Alliance ships (there are no Alliance ranks, you just turn up and muck in.).

oh ok cool, getting it confused with other ships (yeah just had a look, its the federal and alliance ships that need rank, my bad).

But anyway, thanks, ill give them a look :).

Top Bottom