My view on Carriers so far.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Hello. I am new to these Fleet Carries. I just arrived at Alcor, where apparently I can buy one today for $1 Million credits. No problem there, but how much IS the "upkeep" charge, when do have to pay it, can you pay in advance?? I like the idea of having my own station I can take anywhere, along with all my stuff, but not if I am in for a grind just to keep and use it? Thanks!
You can pay it in advance. FC has a "bank" of sorts, where you transfer however much money you want. You can then reserve certain % of that amount to cover the upkeep cost and anything that requires withdrawal of funds (i.e. when another players sells you something via your market), the reserved amount is not touched.

Also, any transactions you will try to set up (like a Buy order) will take that reserve into consideration and won't allow you to set up an order that would spend more than only unreserved amount of money.

It's statistically irrelevant.
And clinging onto it won't change that.
lol ok, so a moment ago you dismissed that poll because it was a biased, now it is about the supposedly statistically irrelevance.
I told you to at least try to make a valid point, this is very low effort :)

Btw more than 3k people answered that poll.
Considering ED playerbase on steam is around 6.5k players, I'd say it's very significant.
I'm just pointing up that if they dont like a feature, there are other that are liking it - and they won't like it changed.
Aside the fact that you can still put an unkeep on any asset you like if you so want, in contrast with your attempts, my solutions are about finding a compromise at benefit of all.

lol ok, so a moment ago you dismissed that poll because it was a biased, now it is about the supposedly statistically irrelevance.

Considering ED playerbase on steam is around 6.5k players, I'd say it's very significant.

Aside the fact that you can still put an unkeep on any asset you like if you so want, in contrast with your attempts, my solutions are about finding a compromise at benefit of all.
The solution you present seems to be about finding a "compromise" that benefits you. But all these arguments we are making in all these threads seem mainly to indicate that this Fleet Carrier will not be able to satisfy everybody. Luckily FD has indicated more classes of FCs should be coming. Shame they weren't available for testing.

The argument about steam numbers being representative is about as old as it is irrelevant. Steam only records players playing through Steam. FD knows the real numbers. It is about as relevant as suggesting that the arguments presented on the forum reflect the wishes of the player base. Again, no they don't. They only represent the wishes of the forum users, a loud lot of those don't even play the game anymore...

:D S

Hello. I am new to these Fleet Carries. I just arrived at Alcor, where apparently I can buy one today for $1 Million credits. No problem there, but how much IS the "upkeep" charge, when do have to pay it, can you pay in advance?? I like the idea of having my own station I can take anywhere, along with all my stuff, but not if I am in for a grind just to keep and use it? Thanks!
If you're looking at buying one when it goes into the live game i'd recommend getting about 10 billion ready so you can load the carrier up with funds so you don't have to concern yourself about upkeep (y)

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

Steam doesn't mean a lot when it comes to the total population of Elite. 3.5 million copies were sold in total across 4/5 platforms: (PC-Steam + PC-non Steam), PS4, XBOX and Mac. How many of those are still active players? Only FDEV knows that, so nobody can really tell if 3000 people is a significant number when it comes to reliable statistics for Elite community.

Saying that, I think that 3k people is enough to present at least some sort of opinion and should not be dismissed. As I said though, only FDEV knows actually how useful that data is for them.

But then again saying that FDEV said multiple times that Elite is not "design-by-committee", but it's their vision. Community will of course affect that in a way, otherwise the feedback would be 100% pointless, but end of the day if FDEV thinks FC upkeep is a good idea for the game as a whole, no matter how many players will vote otherwise, that won't change.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
If you're looking at buying one when it goes into the live game i'd recommend getting about 10 billion ready so you can load the carrier up with funds so you don't have to concern yourself about upkeep (y)
Sorry for double post, but I disagree. That must sound really scary to a new player :D At least provide some context!

1 year of upkeep costs about 800 million - and that's for a fully upgraded Carrier. Not everyone will need all of the upgrades. I personally definitely wouldn't recommend setting aside 10 billion (5 for FC and 5 for upkeep as I understand?), unless you already have it available.

IMO it's enough to set aside 6 billion. You buy the FC for 5 bil and and the upkeep for that is laughable small. If you can afford 5 bil for the FC, then you 100% can afford the upkeep of basic version of it. And you still have 1 billion left to start having fun with it.

You have enough to maybe buy UC and go exploring. Or buy Redemption Office. Or invest in setting up a trading business. AND you can afford to pay for upkeep for over 1 year upkeep with this basic version.

You can then start setting aside the rest for whatever upgrades you see fit (and upkeep for longer time). Plus now you do have a mobile base with all of your ships and modules available, which will definitely make earning money easier and faster, compared to setting aside 10 billion up front.

Sorry for double post, but I disagree. That must sound really scary to a new player :D At least provide some context!

1 year of upkeep costs about 800 million - and that's for a fully upgraded Carrier. Not everyone will need all of the upgrades. I personally definitely wouldn't recommend setting aside 10 billion (5 for FC and 5 for upkeep as I understand?), unless you already have it available.

IMO it's enough to set aside 6 billion and then the upkeep is laughable small. You buy the FC for 5 bil and then still have 1 billion left to start having fun with the basic version. You have enough to maybe buy UC and go exploring. Or buy Redemption Office. Or invest in setting up a trading business.

AND you can afford to pay for upkeep for over 1 year upkeep with this basic version. You can then start setting aside the rest for whatever upgrades you see fit (and upkeep for longer time). Plus now you do have a mobile base with all of your ships and modules available, which will definitely make earning money easier and faster, compared to setting aside 10 billion up front.
It cost me 1 billion to fill it up with tritium for long range exploring,most of that has gone within a week.
So i think 10 billion is a realistic amount to cover all eventualities.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
It cost me 1 billion to fill it up with tritium for long range exploring,most of that has gone within a week.
So i think 10 billion is a realistic amount to cover all eventualities.
You don't have to go exploring though. If we're looking from a relatively new player perspective, I think it's better to have basic Carrier and use it to make money easier and faster to upgrade it, rather than setting aside additional 4 billion in a ship.

You don't have to go exploring though. If we're looking from a relatively new player perspective, I think it's better to have basic Carrier and use it to make money easier and faster to upgrade it, rather than setting aside additional 4 billion in a ship.
I think it's important to illustrate that billions are chump change when carriers are concerned.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
I think it's important to illustrate that billions are chump change when carriers are concerned.
Not for someone in a T6. Once you have Conda or T9 and are aware of money making ways - then yes. (Although it begs the question if it's wise for someone in a T6 to aim for a Fleet Carrier :D)

But it still takes time to make the additional 4 billion. It would much quicker to go buy the carrier, then come back to the hotspot and fill it with enough cargo to upgrade and pay for years of upkeep, buy fuel etc.

A biased poll is statistically irrelevant. It is useless.
In both occasions i said the same thing using 2 different words. Now i used a third. Useless.

Statistics is used to poll a very small number of people and obtain a result as closed to the value obtained if everyone would have been polled.
Pretty much like in elections - they do a poll on 10000 people and can get a result with a very small margin of error as if they actually polled all the voters.
But those 10000 people are chosen very carefully based on sound mathematical algorithms. Otherwise the poll will fail to reflect the reality.
And they can accurately predict the winner before the all the votes are counted.

Really? The steam player base on Steam is 6.5k players?
That's the number of simultaneous players at the very moment the graphs is taken, not the total steam player base.

Is is estimated that there are between 100,000 and 200,000 regular players - and by regular i mean players that log at least monthly.

Artie, the owner of Inara, was so kind to provide us statistics regarding the wealth of the Commanders.
He has access to more than 125,000 registered Inara accounts.
And he still was cautious enough to warn us that those statistics might not be relevant 100% in the grand scheme of things

but 3.5k? 🤷‍♂️

In both occasions i said the same thing using 2 different words. Now i used a third. Useless.

Statistics is used to poll a very small number of people and obtain a result as closed to the value obtained if everyone would have been polled.
Pretty much like in elections - they do a poll on 10000 people and can get a result with a very small margin of error as if they actually polled all the voters.
But those 10000 people are chosen very carefully based on sound mathematical algorithms. Otherwise the poll will fail to reflect the reality.
And they can accurately predict the winner before the all the votes are counted.

That's the number of simultaneous players at the very moment the graphs is taken, not the total steam player base.

Is is estimated that there are between 100,000 and 200,000 regular players - and by regular i mean players that log at least monthly.

Artie, the owner of Inara, was so kind to provide us statistics regarding the wealth of the Commanders.
And he still was cautious enough to warn us that those statistics might not be relevant 100% in the grand scheme of things

but 3.5k? 🤷‍♂️
If a vote was taken,what do you think the result would be?

If a vote was taken,what do you think the result would be?
There are several issues with the poll.

One is simply statistical insignificance: The number of participants is small compared to the simple figures presented from Steam. It gets even worse if the number is compared to the other figure presented by @Northpin: Monthly active players may be 100,000+. But then again, only FD knows the actual figures.

The other issue is of bias, which is easily introduced by stastical insignificance: The participants may be from a specific subset of the player base representing a specific set of views that then gets over-represented by the poll. It is a bit like asking for vote answers at the exit of a poll station for an election during the daytime hours. The people answering are more likely to be people with time to go vote during the day and not those who is at work or not voting at all.

Yes, and in this case we have a significant number of active players who stated their opinion.
There's no real argument on why you should dismiss these results besides the fact that you don't like them.
It's the daily average player count in the last 30 days. But I'm sure that you will dismiss also this value since you don't seem to like it.

but 3.5k? 🤷‍♂️
Has Inara statistics on what people think of the FC?
Because that poll gives us statistics on what people think of the FC.

Again, you are dismissing them only because you don't like the result, you are giving no other argument on that.

As I said before, this doesn't mean much at all.
you also said that a lot of ppl support upkeep but since there is little evidence of that I guess that means nothing as well?

Upkeep is a dumb mechanic that has caused a real divide in this community, and is why I uninstalled the game - guess this game is no longer for me hmm? 🤷‍♂️

you also said that a lot of ppl support upkeep but since there is little evidence of that I guess that means nothing as well?

Upkeep is a dumb mechanic that has caused a real divide in this community, and is why I uninstalled the game - guess this game is no longer for me hmm? 🤷‍♂️
Really? Selective reading, it seems like.

Top Bottom