My view on Carriers so far.

Yay ! Another upkeep thread to post ! AMAZING.

ok i did not read all the pages because i'm sure it's still the same things. But i kinda want to add my no upkeep point of view here.

If you can walk away from the game for 3 to 12 months, why would you care if you lose your stuff?
1 this is mean :/
2 who are you to decide for people if they care about stuff or not ?
3 may you care if you come after some hot summer and all your winter stuff disapeared because you know , you were not using it. (oh it's a virtual game , let stay virtual then, whould you care if after buying a game and not using it for 6 month the game disapear ?)

Because it's supposed to be a simulation, at least mainly.
Well i think that is personnal opinion. To me it's a game. Also well.. if it is a simulation you sould pay for every ship you run , trust me even if they dont fly they may have some problem when you start using them again , like a car , so .. let say all you ship lose 5%durability each week , plus parking fee of the station, you are also humain and have to eat and drink ..... so you should pay for that no ? Dont see how simulation suddenly justify upkeep, but not other thing.

Also you could easly say that FC generate money just by repairing NPC and providing them fuel and ammunition. Maybe you FC is so big that small life system start inside it with commercial place , entertainement ect that you run and generate profit from it...you know capitalism stuff?

But lets stop with that :).

Why people see upkeep as a problem is not the amount , it is the mechanic of losing something while not playing. Many of you seems to point running cost , but running cost are here when you run something. Now it is persistant so .. yeah it basicly run when you dont play that do seems logical. Problem is you cant stop it without losing alot of money /time . Oh to bad !

I'll be clear here , for the sake of this game people have to play on it . The more people play the better for the whole game. They gain more money , we gain friend and life in the game. Well if you play solo just think that the company have more money and more money mean more dev / effort (is they are clean).

Maybe it's a whale game in this case number does not apply, but I hope it is not , whales games tend to be all about microtransactions.

Now the upkeep itself, apart for technical reason that are obviously bypassed by billion farm at borann in some hours . I dont see the point of introducing a mech that negativly impact the game. And it does. Losing credit should belong to player choice or mistake. If time is taking credit while you dont play , your mistake is not playing the game.

Yeah it's virtual credit , who cares after all ? I mean that not realtime of life we invested in thoses credit after all ? Oh wait.

This is were the entertainement stop. When you play a game not for the game itself but to maintain things. This is where the problem is.

Now Pro upkeep crowd ,i'm asking you , basicly , if a better solution/technical issues are resolved / FC have still RUNNING cost . What bother you in upkeep disapearance ?
What will it change for you ?

Also i've seen that they were designed to be creditsink for long term player .. Well if you want to lose credit , just run a full A rated cutter with 0 shield and go at deciat or borann , wait for gankers, you will losecredit.

Also I dont see why they want people to have less credit , mainly because they may have hotfixed borann if it were the case.

Everyone have their opinion and point of view. But if FC had come with 0 upkeep at start ,I doubt some people may have started thread "WE NEED UPKEEP FOR THE CARRIER PLZ" .

No we complain about upkeep, because we see it as some bad thing for us , and IMO for the game/FC.

thanks for reading me again o7 .

1 this is mean :/
2 who are you to decide for people if they care about stuff or not ?
3 may you care if you come after some hot summer and all your winter stuff disapeared because you know , you were not using it. (oh it's a virtual game , let stay virtual then, whould you care if after buying a game and not using it for 6 month the game disapear ?)
1. It's a genuine question
2. I'm not deciding anything
3. I look after my winter kit during the summer so that I know it is still in good condition when I need it.

Paying upkeep is a willful choice the owners of Fleet Carriers have to accept.
Not everyone will like that, but Fleet Carriers are not for everyone.

Paying upkeep is a willful choice the owners of Fleet Carriers have to accept.
Not everyone will like that, but Fleet Carriers are not for everyone.
Wow this is what you think them. they are not for everyone , then why make it affordable for everyone ? (it is also another personnal opinion)
And paying upkeep is a choice the HAVE TO accept ? So no argumentation ? this is it ? no more ? just deal with it ,you think it's bad , dont take it ?

Wow .. stunning.

Are you the sort of person who complains if every car on the market that you can buy doesn't fit your needs?
Can we not have sedans because you only like hatchbacks?
When those said cars have been promised for 2 years and multiple delays, and instead of a Tesla you get a 1970's sedan you bet we wont be happy, especially if we have to pay rent on it after we buy it - hows that for a analogy for you?

For someone for whom getting rid of upkeep would make absolutely no difference you seem overly invested in blocking this one change with rubbish posts. Trying to keep a system that, according to one poll, over 3000 players do not want that makes me wonder where your loyalty to a flawed system comes from.

Are you the sort of person who complains if every car on the market that you can buy doesn't fit your needs?
Can we not have sedans because you only like hatchbacks?
Well if the car come with some fabrication problem , and i notice it , yeah i'll complain even if it's on all models.
Also If you had your beloved sedan with upkeep , and somehow you can get rid of it , would you keep it ? :eek:

Another thing is removing upkeep will not limit your gameplay. Keeping it may limit mine, and some others.

Upkeep does limit your choice as , for many it will stop them from buying FC as they dont play enought / want to play enought / fear they someday afk and lose it.
Removing upkeep well basicly it just open more choices for more people.
Also i'm not against running cost , if you actually play the game.

I'm all for positiv mechanics and rewarding gameplay. For the whole game , it may be better.

trust me I like elite , i may not be some pillar of this community , i'm just some part of it but I like this game. Seeing such things coming to it really saddened me. Because I know that forced play , is never a good thing in ANY case. Even if it comes from a choice you made month/years ago.

I am one of those guys that loves this game but real life gets in the way. I can't really comment on the FC cause i will not grind for 5billion, so i will most likely never own one. I have been playing for over 3 years and doubt i have made over 1 billion. I do agree that u should not loose something in the game just because you simple put down the controller for a while. There has to be a compromise sonewhere. Hell i am still ed thst everything cost so much in this place... i mean damn i still have never owned any of the big 3. I have 7 million and joined the beta so yes i will spend the 1mil to try it out. Hell who knows maybe i will find a way to make billions in elite. I know this is unpopular for the die hards here but i just wish they would make it a little easier for people will busy real life to fully enjoy all elite has to offer. And by no means do i mean to make it simple and easy because i do get you have to grind ... but when the grind is so long and time consuming it kind of takes the fun out of the game.

I am one of those guys that loves this game but real life gets in the way. I can't really comment on the FC cause i will not grind for 5billion, so i will most likely never own one. I have been playing for over 3 years and doubt i have made over 1 billion. I do agree that u should not loose something in the game just because you simple put down the controller for a while. There has to be a compromise sonewhere. Hell i am still ed thst everything cost so much in this place... i mean damn i still have never owned any of the big 3. I have 7 million and joined the beta so yes i will spend the 1mil to try it out. Hell who knows maybe i will find a way to make billions in elite. I know this is unpopular for the die hards here but i just wish they would make it a little easier for people will busy real life to fully enjoy all elite has to offer. And by no means do i mean to make it simple and easy because i do get you have to grind ... but when the grind is so long and time consuming it kind of takes the fun out of the game.
I think there's definitely a need for a rethink concerning FC's.
FD have turned the game into a mining simulator.

I would suggest it's the community that needs to rethink.
It's the insatiable drive for credits that has turned some people's game into a mining simulation
It is the bane of any game that requires the player to spend more than just a few hours until "Game Over" appears on the screen.
Read through many of the comments regarding any 'expensive' or 'rank-locked' content and there is always someone complaining that as they only play for 37 minutes on the 3rd Thursday of February every 2 years they can't have whatever and it isn't fair...

I can't buy a FC in June, maybe September or October, but I have an aversion to mining more than around 45 minutes a week, and 'live' in colonia where 1.4 million for LTD's is quite a rarity :) Of course, exploration in that area is very lucrative, and, for me, interesting... That and some well-paying sightseeing passenger missions means I won't have to mine myself catatonic...

Mining simulator? Only for those who wish it to be :)

I would suggest it's the community that needs to rethink.
It's the insatiable drive for credits that has turned some people's game into a mining simulation
I'd say that what people have is an insatiable drive for content, which is pretty normal for a game as a service like ED.

Now, if the sole meaningful content in a year is gated behind 5 billions + 1 extra billion for the accessories + an useless weekly unkeep slapped on it, you can see how that translates into the drive for credits.

But since FD can do no evil, the fault of this situation must be on the players, amirite?

It is the bane of any game that requires the player to spend more than just a few hours until "Game Over" appears on the screen.
Read through many of the comments regarding any 'expensive' or 'rank-locked' content and there is always someone complaining that as they only play for 37 minutes on the 3rd Thursday of February every 2 years they can't have whatever and it isn't fair...

I can't buy a FC in June, maybe September or October, but I have an aversion to mining more than around 45 minutes a week, and 'live' in colonia where 1.4 million for LTD's is quite a rarity :) Of course, exploration in that area is very lucrative, and, for me, interesting... That and some well-paying sightseeing passenger missions means I won't have to mine myself catatonic...

Mining simulator? Only for those who wish it to be :)
You're the second overtly pro carrier player that isn't in a position to actually buy one(that i'm aware of),because of that i have to assume you havn't actually spent much time during beta actually trying the new game elements for yourself?

You're the second overtly pro carrier player that isn't in a position to actually buy one,because of that i have to assume you havn't actually spent much time during beta actually trying the new game elements for yourself?
Actually I have...
Sorry, old bean, in this assumption you are entirely incorrect...
(Probably only 20-22 hours of play, with more to come before the end of beta, say 6 hours/day)

ETA: Why anyone would consider another has made a decision to buy a very expensive asset, without thoroughly researching said asset, is a mystery to me!

Last edited:
Please enlighten me,excuse my confusion as you stated you weren't able to buy one in June?
Umm.. you do know that Blowout permitted us to buy and equip for silly money?
You would not know, naturally, how much time I can spend each day playing silly games if I so desire, so that is perfectly understandable.
So where is the confusion? Or perhaps you are intimating that I'm being "economical with the truth" as you have measured the time available to you to play and "assumed" I have the same? 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom