My visit to Frontier Developments and the Future of the Game

I personally had recently some doubts about the game, mainly due to slow pace of the main storyline, but that recent visit to FDEV's reassured me there is really nothing to worry about and 2.4 will be awesome patch. The gradual release is due to the nature of it's contents rather than the lack of it.

That is really​ good to know. Thank you.

Very cool that you got to see stuff on the inside. I'm curious though, a huge team working on the game, "huge", and it took 3 years to add simple things like ship naming? And multicrew? I mean, I haven't been around long enough to really understand the long term let down, but just judging what I've seen on here and development history I don't know what to actually expect despite your first hand visit with vague description.

Why don't they actually have PR? Why the lack of info? There's not that much competition.

Ehh... I don't really want to be negative Nancy here. Just offering my impression of your post: while very cool and interesting, still only a "meh" to me

Did you get to meet the Queen of Minions Herself ?

Yes - have met SJA a few times before at various events and MoM made a point of coming over to say hi during the visit. She may have been chuckling with evil glee at her latest work and rubbing her hands together in anticipation of unleashing it. Or that may have been my imagination.

Oh - and trust me on the QoL stuff - it's coming, not all at once, but it's coming and it covers absolutely every aspect of the game. No total rewrites, but MANY improvements.

Very cool that you got to see stuff on the inside. I'm curious though, a huge team working on the game, "huge", and it took 3 years to add simple things like ship naming? And multicrew? I mean, I haven't been around long enough to really understand the long term let down, but just judging what I've seen on here and development history I don't know what to actually expect despite your first hand visit with vague description.

Why don't they actually have PR? Why the lack of info? There's not that much competition.

Ehh... I don't really want to be negative Nancy here. Just offering my impression of your post: while very cool and interesting, still only a "meh" to me

Priorities really - there is a big team there, but other things were more important - if you wanted proof that they weren't all about grabbing the money - name plates were low hanging fruit to get people to spend cash, but it just wasn't bubbling up to the top! it gone done when it got done and that's all there is to it.

They do have a PR team - with funky hair. Oh and said PR team have a THOROUGH understanding of the history of the game from back in the day to now. A very deep understanding of the history, lore, direction and ongoing development. The PR team are really focused on industry and media relations though with the Zac/Ed/Community team looking after all of us grubby lot.

Last edited:
well there were two full open plan offices - and it appeared a huge amount of the staff were dedicated to working on Elite

so the old cardboard employee trick is still working? :D

(i never understood this worry about big team sizes anyway, here on the forum and in general. in my experience big teams are crap, the smaller the better in all aspects: quality, efficiency, focus and joy. beyond 5 people you need to start adding people that is actually counterproductive. it's a totally different animal devoted to the depraved gods of scale. and the sheer noise ...)

anyway seems you had fun, i would have gladly come too. did they hand out any chocolate sidewinders?

Yes - have met SJA a few times before at various events and MoM made a point of coming over to say hi during the visit. She may have been chuckling with evil glee at her latest work and rubbing her hands together in anticipation of unleashing it. Or that may have been my imagination.

Oh - and trust me on the QoL stuff - it's coming, not all at once, but it's coming and it covers absolutely every aspect of the game. No total rewrites, but MANY improvements.

Hee hee ! I like it [heart]

My bet is Obsidian Orbital i going to have a new Traffic Controller voice! ;-) And probably Hutton will as well if others were also invited.

Good to hear that the game is much loved by the staff (never thought otherwise myself).

I hope the future revenue model is based more on additional fluff for avatars to wear, ship skins and kits as well as maybe chargeable point DLC.

Very jealous you have had a sneak preview!

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
I was one of the "others" who went to Frontier Towers to do some recording etc.

I can confirm everything OA said above about the number of staff working on ED.

After Zac had made us a cup of tea/coffee and I quietly remarked on the condition of my cup...

KNpuBBP.jpg
Hmmm nice chip I thought.... Not deliberate Zac said......

We were given a tour as mentioned the staff levels are easily over 100 working on Elite Dangerous and everyone I spoke to had such enthusiasm not only for the game but for Frontier as well.

I was chatting to a couple of the QA team outside while having a crafty smoke and both were wearing Elite Tshirts and the enthusiasm for the game they have is so apparant.

As OA said we did get a sneak preview on some content but as my NDAs with Frontier are rapidly heading towards double figures I really can't discuss anything but all I will say is...

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! You are really going to love what's coming.

We did the Voice over work and I can admit to only causing a medium level of chaos and confusion in the sound department and the guys and girls there eventually stopped laughing and Rootsrat managed to escape the booth he found himself in with myself. they seemed happy with what we had done and yes hopefully we will be in game as well.

It's always nice to catch up with the guys and girls at Frontier and got to have a good chat with David who very kindly signed my Amiga copy of Frontier and My Premium Backers version of ED and thankfully refused to write Zac's suggestion to write I blame T.j on it. (phew)

CrmjsZd.jpg

Oh and Obsidian's voice is even more soothing in person... I nearly fell asleep under DBOBE's Desk at one point.

Just wanted to say to the folks at Frontier, thanks for the invite and the very, very brave call to allow me to potentially be in game..........mad...

Last edited:
Dav in curier. Noted. Commencing seek and destroy operation :D
Joking, but when i'll get him I wont let him go unless population will change based on amount of vegetables i'm delivering to them.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
It is obviously all lies and damage control. ObsidianAnt is a well known fanboy who usually makes everything up. Do not engage in any kind of civil discourse. Move along, move along.

(really hope no one falls victim of Poe´s law)

there is really nothing to worry about and 2.4 will be awesome patch

so...

since the last 3 pathes were not so awesome, they were ''good'' (for something and for some other things
not so very well)... do i have the permit to get hyped for the E3 ?

Many thanks, Mr. Ant and to those at Frontier too, of course. I look forward to the video shorty.

Cheers.

so...

since the last 3 pathes were not so awesome, they were ''good'' (for something and for some other things
not so very well)... do i have the permit to get hyped for the E3 ?

oh yes. indeed you do. and more info coming at Lavecon too ;-)

Top Bottom