Myth Busting: Does "Blocking" Another Player Stop Them Instancing With You?

All i know is finally i might be able to stream again in open without the almost constant stream sniping \o/

Be prepared to be blocked if you are obviously sniping...this feature may also bring back some other streamers that got sick of the sniping too :)

Its great to hear we can actually remove the most toxic folks ability to ruin streams.

Last edited:
The solution would be to have a log of recent contacts, and the ability to select any from that list and block them by name at any point during the game, not just while you're in the same instance or befriended with them.

But really, I think the best solution is to make random acts of violence draw the same reaction they would in real life, with the police in all lawful systems mercylessly going after you. Close the loopholes, but also let anarchy systems be the places where gankers can roam free. If you go to an anarchy system, you are on your own and all bets are off. And if you're pirated, you better give up cargo or face the consequences.

And PIRACY SHOULD BE PROFITABLE. At the moment it's a joke.

Yeah, you get it. But you're crying for a dream game that no one dares to dream. Drugs of modern life, or something. Mass conditioning. Who knows. How about only dirty players get dirty drives, from dirty systems and dirty engineers. Clean players can get clean drives, from clean, safe, operating-parameters engineers in clean systems. If you gank someone, you have given up landing at free outposts, trading at free outposts, passing in the vicinity of civilized nav bouys, etc. etc. If you don't have a negative system rep, you won't survive FSD cooldown in an outlaw system. Working scan defeaters are available, but only in outlaw systems, and for literally hundreds of millions of dollars. And they only work for a while, until they're decoded and rendered useless (like a bad credit card). Bad scan defeaters are a good bit cheaper, for sleazy sidewalk punks, and may not work very reliably, if you know what I mean. Etc. Etc. It's not hard to imagine a world where ganking someone is the hardest thing to do in the game, and even the ganked respect it. Currently, ganking someone is the easiest thing to do in the game, and so obviously no one respects the "play style" any more than respecting the "play style" of soiling your pants or drooling, because it is literally THE lowest common denominator action to do in the game. People who oppose "evil playstyle" aren't crying, they're repelled by idiocy. But that gets shouted down, that can't be right!! Call them carebears, make fun of them! And meanwhile they are turning away because the drool is about to hit the shirt and also the smell of the pants is getting to them. Right. How many more games before I can be evil in a game and it takes enough skill that my wife will bother to get a ship and tag along? That is my question.

If you build it, they will come. And I'm not talking about carebear land. Or woolybully land. I'm talking about a space of good and evil where there are challenges and rewards for playing either side.

Open should be enhanced by C&P and proper defensive Outfitting for civilians, not self-selection.

Except that unless you are flying a Pvp-specialized craft, you don't even have time to escape against engineered murderboats. And no, the silly video that a known ganker made about escaping with a T7 is bull.

Game balance is so one-sided toward gankers, and some still act surprised when people are willing to break the game's rules to avoid the most toxic members of the community.

What I mean is that unfortunately it's difficult to envisage any way in which PvP might become relevant to Galactic events, via the BGS, Powerplay, etc.

Some MMO's usually lock areas/resources/crafters behind PvP. From my MMO experience this makes even the weakest players join the PvP zerg and play ball.

Imagine engineer X locked behind a PvP blockade. I'm not sure it would work in our game where people win wars and systems in solo mode.

Yeah, you get it. But you're crying for a dream game that no one dares to dream. Drugs of modern life, or something. Mass conditioning. Who knows. How about only dirty players get dirty drives, from dirty systems and dirty engineers. Clean players can get clean drives, from clean, safe, operating-parameters engineers in clean systems. If you gank someone, you have given up landing at free outposts, trading at free outposts, passing in the vicinity of civilized nav bouys, etc. etc. If you don't have a negative system rep, you won't survive FSD cooldown in an outlaw system. Working scan defeaters are available, but only in outlaw systems, and for literally hundreds of millions of dollars. And they only work for a while, until they're decoded and rendered useless (like a bad credit card). Bad scan defeaters are a good bit cheaper, for sleazy sidewalk punks, and may not work very reliably, if you know what I mean. Etc. Etc. It's not hard to imagine a world where ganking someone is the hardest thing to do in the game, and even the ganked respect it. Currently, ganking someone is the easiest thing to do in the game, and so obviously no one respects the "play style" any more than respecting the "play style" of soiling your pants or drooling, because it is literally THE lowest common denominator action to do in the game. People who oppose "evil playstyle" aren't crying, they're repelled by idiocy. But that gets shouted down, that can't be right!! Call them carebears, make fun of them! And meanwhile they are turning away because the drool is about to hit the shirt and also the smell of the pants is getting to them. Right. How many more games before I can be evil in a game and it takes enough skill that my wife will bother to get a ship and tag along? That is my question.

If you build it, they will come. And I'm not talking about carebear land. Or woolybully land. I'm talking about a space of good and evil where there are challenges and rewards for playing either side.

That's a pretty good rant.

Except that unless you are flying a Pvp-specialized craft, you don't even have time to escape against engineered murderboats

Yes, this is why by my use of the words ...

Open should be enhanced by C&P and proper defensive Outfitting for civilians, not self-selection.

... what I mean is one of my favourite recent themes. I think that those who choose to fly 'civilian' builds (e.g. trader, explorer, miner, smuggler) should be given the option of fitting new, powerful, defensive modules into their hardpoints, strictly on condition that these cannot be combined with deploying guns (to prevent PvP min/max adoption).

Before 2.1 a competent trader could escape PvP attack (in 1.2 I escaped the legendary pirate Bangfish's Python in my trade Python, for example) but after 2.1 the power difference has become too great.

This is why greater civilian protection is the only form of hit point inflation that I support.

I accept that there would need to be careful balancing (PvP piracy shouldn't be impossible, for example, and there should still be a decent chance of a Powerplay or other blockader killing a soft target) but at the moment the pendulum has swung far too far against the civilian Cmdr.

Last edited:
We already have whitelisting (private groups), and that's far more intrusive than blacklisting (blocks). I don't see the issue, given the precedent already set.

I don't have a problem with space being dangerous, life is dangerous when all`s said and done but, I do have a problem with the players who aren't happy just killing you once, they have to do it again and again all the while your the one being charged for it via rebuy cost ! so I`d like to see it that the MURDERER ! get fined the rebuy cost of the players ship he took out ! simples ! I`m thinkin if he does it again (within a certain time) it doubles....
Now tbh I myself tonight became a dirty lo down logger ! on entering a system a player decided to interdict ( I submitted) and kill me... ok fair enough, rebuy, take off and go on my merry way (em NO) he decided I needed killed twice ! well em NO, I gave ya yer shot, you had yer fun so why should I have to pay the price again... so yep I logged :( I came back on in solo but then thought why should I be exempt from playing in the community just because I don't want to be his target of affection so I relogged back in open and YEP got meself shot again although this time apparently it was my own fault and was justified because I logged... ? hang on a min.... now in all FAIRNESS ! it turns out he`s a very nice chap and proceeds to tell me he wont bother me again :) ( when fd gets space walkin sorted I`ll go over and give this guy a cuddle :) but it don't take away the fact that this whole play acting cost me and not him ! and again being honest that's the bit that just doesn't sit well, I`m a good guy, not wanted, had nothing in cargo, it was a ship I was literaly just putting together so had no weps. now it might look like I`m whinging but I`m not really, I want to play in the community whether its good or bad but like I said I do resent the fact that he`s the one that's wanted for murder but it costs him NOTHING ! so how about it ? His fine should at least be the same as his victims rebuy cost... that's all !

Top Bottom