Mythical and prehistoric dlc packs?

I would like to see a mythical pack, with animals like dragons gryphons, unicorns, flaming horses, pegasus, sea monsters, maybe fairies for exhibit creatures, etc to add a bit of whimsy to the game and make it a little more fun. i know the point of the game is conservation and such but sometimes it is nice to take a break from reality and these animals would help with that.

Jurassic World Evolution has your prehistoric animals covered.

I feel like a lot of people are making the mistake of comparing Planet Zoo too closely to Zoo Tycoon. The latter didn't really bother with being 'realistic' or driving a certain point (in PZ's case, education, conservation, what zoos actually do, etc.), it was just meant to be a game for being a game's sake. PZ has a lot more riding on its message, so I don't think Frontier will deliberately detract from that to add fantastical or prehistoric elements (especially since, as I said, the latter is already covered as far as they're concerned with JWE, which is also a Frontier game).

I think the only extinct animals I would be okay with including would be a small selection of animals we drove to extinction deliberately, as a way of making virtual ammends. Things like the thylacine, for example. Even then, I wouldn't want to see it until much further down the line, when all the more traditional zoo animals are covered (we're still seriously lacking in plenty of real and extant animals as it is, despite a fairly large roster).

I feel like a lot of people are making the mistake of comparing Planet Zoo too closely to Zoo Tycoon
This quote can be used for so many posts :D :D

I would highly recommend that OP should keep an eye out for Prehistoric Kingdom, pretty impressive for a small indie company...
Not mythical but a lot of prehistoric/other era creatures.. Could take a while when/if they complete the game - the shown footage already gives a nice view of expected features.
I own JWE but I also keep eye on this one (hopefully a beta playable in 1 or 2 years).
Even during the Kickstarter period - they mentioned something about recent extinct animals (they didn't meet that $-goal) but it shows those animals can also fit their vision of their game.

Can't check because I don't have an account with that developer, but they have an demo option on their own website.

I only mentioned it because it is a different game but very similar features of PZ.
I think there's a really small market for mythical, and people are against (at least for now) because the wishlist for currently living/existing animals is pretty big..

I will never understand why everyone just uses JWE as an excuse whenever anyone brings up wanting dinosaurs in Planet Zoo.

Is it really that unreasonable to want a dino zoo with the mechanical depth of the current Planet Zoo?

I almost get the theme of conservation argument, but this is very much still a tycoon game in everything but name. Adding prehistoric or even fictional animals doesn't really take much away from the thematic elements of a park builder

I will never understand why everyone just uses JWE as an excuse whenever anyone brings up wanting dinosaurs in Planet Zoo.

Is it really that unreasonable to want a dino zoo with the mechanical depth of the current Planet Zoo?

I almost get the theme of conservation argument, but this is very much still a tycoon game in everything but name. Adding prehistoric or even fictional animals doesn't really take much away from the thematic elements of a park builder

I understand what you mean and while I dont need dinosaurs in PZ myself, I wouldnt mind them.

However, the main problem I see is not really conservation or realism parts of PZ, but JWE itself. First, JWE is made by Frontier, but I dont think they are done with it yet, so if they added dinosaurs to PZ they would work against their own game and I dont see this happening. But the most important part is, the brand JWE is not owned by Frontier itself. So I am sure they have some heavy treaties with Universal (and/or who else hold rights to JWE), which could bring much trouble to Frontier if they decided to add the dinosaurs to a game which they hold all rights to themselves. Maybe they are even forbidden to make their own dinosaur game for x years or something.

Sure, thats just my speculation, but I think its plausible.

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with what people want or don't want, what is reasonable or unreasonable. Frontier made JWE, and Frontier made PZ. It's that simple. From a business perspective, they've already done the Dinosaur Zoo Game. Why would they do it again?

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LN
I would like to see a mythical pack, with animals like dragons gryphons, unicorns, flaming horses, pegasus, sea monsters, maybe fairies for exhibit creatures, etc to add a bit of whimsy to the game and make it a little more fun. i know the point of the game is conservation and such but sometimes it is nice to take a break from reality and these animals would help with that.
i'd love to see this too!

(also: people who only want realism: you don't need to buy a dlc if they make one:) although i think it will never happen :( )

Last edited:
i'd love to see this too!

(also: people who only want realism: you don't need to buy a dlc if they make one:) although i think it will never happen :( )

They have said since the start that this game is supposed to represent real-world conservation efforts and be a realistic depiction of running a zoo (or as close as it can be without making it impossible to play). They aren't going to add mythical or extinct animals, and probably not even marine animals. The majority of players don't want the former especially, and it's important that their voices are heard so Frontier doesn't waste resources on that kind of thing.

It’s a cool idea but I’d much prefer realism also. There’s just way to many animals I’d love to see make the roster over a mythical creature. I think this is a area that mods will eventually cover to be honest.

Jurassic World Evolution has your prehistoric animals covered.

I feel like a lot of people are making the mistake of comparing Planet Zoo too closely to Zoo Tycoon. The latter didn't really bother with being 'realistic' or driving a certain point (in PZ's case, education, conservation, what zoos actually do, etc.), it was just meant to be a game for being a game's sake. PZ has a lot more riding on its message, so I don't think Frontier will deliberately detract from that to add fantastical or prehistoric elements (especially since, as I said, the latter is already covered as far as they're concerned with JWE, which is also a Frontier game).

I think the only extinct animals I would be okay with including would be a small selection of animals we drove to extinction deliberately, as a way of making virtual ammends. Things like the thylacine, for example. Even then, I wouldn't want to see it until much further down the line, when all the more traditional zoo animals are covered (we're still seriously lacking in plenty of real and extant animals as it is, despite a fairly large roster).
I agree with you that Planet Zoo should probably stick to the theme of realistic animals, but saying that Jurassic world is a good alternative is so un-true because they are very different in play style, I bought it and tried to play it because people said this exact thing, and i HATE that game, the fact that you have to complete the campaigns to do the sandbox mode is awful and you cant actually breed your dinos together at all from what I expereinced. Also the customization and building tools are no where near as advanced. Its nothing like planet zoo and isnt really a good alternative.

They have said since the start that this game is supposed to represent real-world conservation efforts and be a realistic depiction of running a zoo (or as close as it can be without making it impossible to play). They aren't going to add mythical or extinct animals, and probably not even marine animals. The majority of players don't want the former especially, and it's important that their voices are heard so Frontier doesn't waste resources on that kind of thing.
Just curious why dont you think they will add marine animals? Is this your speculation or have they said they probably arent?

I like jwe but did hate the fact you had to complete missions to play sandbox with all dinos also. I’m very glad planet zoo didn’t follow suit.

there are lots of zoo's who have such things in their zoo's :D (not real animals of course ;) ) even if they make it like a fantasy buildings pack (so no animals, just statues and other items) i would be very happy!

Lots of zoos have those animatronic dinosaur exhibits, I would be okay with something like that. And statues. But I really want realism. The only exception might be recently extinct animals like the quagga and thylacine, and even that is pushing it. And I definitely don't think mythical animals belong in the game. There are so many real animals that we don't have yet.

This quote can be used for so many posts :D :D

I would highly recommend that OP should keep an eye out for Prehistoric Kingdom, pretty impressive for a small indie company...
Not mythical but a lot of prehistoric/other era creatures.. Could take a while when/if they complete the game - the shown footage already gives a nice view of expected features.
I own JWE but I also keep eye on this one (hopefully a beta playable in 1 or 2 years).
Even during the Kickstarter period - they mentioned something about recent extinct animals (they didn't meet that $-goal) but it shows those animals can also fit their vision of their game.
Hi, I went to check on Prehistoric Kingdom, because well, MAMMOTHS ! And really, I am so happy I read this post and your message x)
Just so you know, the game is apparently already in Beta on their website, but it isn't linked to Steam apparently. My worry for this game is the visual quality. I really loved JWE, Planet Zoo is visually incredible, and I would be bothered to play with less quality (visual is my requirement number one when buying a game). #Dumbideaincoming : Frontier, go help them make the game prettier and share the money x)

Hi, I went to check on Prehistoric Kingdom, because well, MAMMOTHS ! And really, I am so happy I read this post and your message x)
Just so you know, the game is apparently already in Beta on their website, but it isn't linked to Steam apparently. My worry for this game is the visual quality. I really loved JWE, Planet Zoo is visually incredible, and I would be bothered to play with less quality (visual is my requirement number one when buying a game). #Dumbideaincoming : Frontier, go help them make the game prettier and share the money x)

I think it would be wiser to wait for the eventual product. or watch the previews from users on YT when it's near completion
I'm waiting for the actual release date on this one.. or if the YT videos already look great - near release.

Just checked the steam page - It says pre-alpha state but they added the fur shader in March. With a before and after shot.. Looks nice

Don't get me wrong, PZ will remain a better look dan PK..
Personally i don't compare the resources of a big company to an indie company.

And I don't mind lesser visuals to a game but that's a very personal view on games. If the gameplay is good, I can overlook that. I can play Civilization 1 and not being bothered with those graphics because the game can be very challenging at the highest difficulty setting. (for those who played it - Ghandi war mode :D)

But I fully understand that for a lot of people the graphics need to be at a certain level (in 2020)

Top Bottom