Astronomy / Space Nasa News - Discover Beyond Our Solar System

Amazing stuff. However, all planets are extremely close to the star. Even if so small and dim, it is still bombarding planets with strong UV radiation, right? Is it realistic to expect complex atmospheres on those planets?

Last edited:
Amazing stuff. However, all planets are extremely close to the star. Even if so small and dim, it is still bombarding planets with strong UV radiation, right? Is it realistic to expect complex atmospheres on those planets?

Actually it's more infrared than UV from what I heard in the press conference.

While it would be nice if Frontier could add this to the game (and add Cassiopeia A while they're at it) there are limits to just how much Frontier should do to tweak the galaxy to include every major discovery that enters the news headlines. Trappist-1 should be located near x=-20.113341 y=-32.575633 z=7.435164. I'm sorry to say that it just doesn't exist in the Elite: Dangerous universe. Frontier did a good job of including many of the major visible objects in the galaxy. Including every single one of them would have been quite the task.

Last edited:
While it would be nice if Frontier could add this to the game (and add Cassiopeia A while they're at it) there are limits to just how much Frontier should do to tweak the galaxy to include every major discovery that enters the news headlines. Trappist-1 should be located near x=-20.113341 y=-32.575633 z=7.435164. I'm sorry to say that it just doesn't exist in the Elite: Dangerous universe. Frontier did a good job of including many of the major visible objects in the galaxy. Including every single one of them would have been quite the task.

I'm looking there now, Core sys sector YU-P A5-0 is very close to those locations with other dwarf's surrounding very close to it as well....
At the coordinates you indicate, plenty of potential candidates right there.

Last edited:
I'm looking there now, Core sys sector YU-P A5-0 is very close to those locations with other dwarf's surrounding very close to it as well....
At the coordinates you indicate, plenty of potential candidates right there.

Are you taking the galactic procession/swirl since Elite database started into account? Stars move over 30 years some distance.

Last edited:
My favorite shot taken from that NASA's 3D viewer. Planet Trappist-1e, showing three very different regions: half of the planet always facing the star scorched desert, opposite side frozen in eternal darkness, while the relatively narrow strip running across the surface along the fixed terminator is eternal twilight where moderate temperatures allows liquid water. Planet is assumed to be tidally locked, of course.

I'd wish Stellar forge to be capable simulating setups like this.

Trappist-1d.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite shot taken from that NASA's 3D viewer. Planet Trappist-1e, showing three very different regions: half of the planet always facing the star scorched desert, opposite side frozen in eternal darkness, while the relatively narrow strip running across the surface along the fixed terminator is eternal twilight where moderate temperatures allows liquid water. Planet is assumed to be tidally locked, of course.

I'd wish Stellar forge to be capable simulating setups like this.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Pipi557/Trappist-1d.jpg

It used to... Well, much closer than now, anyway.

That's quite awesome. I'm part super excited to live in a time where we discover this stuff, and part wish I was born 500 years later, when there is a chance of being a tourist to such systems (I have no illusions of ever being capable of actually piloting a spacecraft).

Z...

Kepler exoplanet database claims 3453 confirmed planets since it was launched to spy on a teensy weensy corner of the Cygnus (swan) constellation in 2009. There's a link there somewhere to comparative system size and orbital velocity (Sol was at the bottom last time I found it).

Many of the earlier ones confirmed were super massive gas giants up close to the star with orbits of less than a week, confirmed by watching the dimming caused by planets transiting in front of the star on three consecutive and equally timed observations. It's been up there 8 years so planets like Mars on a two year orbit should have been confirmed 2 years ago. Something on Jupiter's orbit (11.9 years) can't be confirmed for another 28 years by that standard.

Also worthy of note is this method can only detect planets on an ecliptic plane tightly aligned with our viewing angle, +/- maybe a few degrees from here? So what about the other systems with ecliptic planes aligned to the other 350 odd degrees left over? In short, there could be a hell of a lot we still can't detect and life, doesn't have to be 'human'.

Check out 'extremophiles'. Critters that quiet happily thrive in conditions deadly to us.

Note: Oxygen is an explosive and highly corrosive gas, and may be toxic to 'other' life forms.

Edit: Yeah, updating Solar Forge with real time data would be preferable, but tricky perhaps? Luckily real time doesn't seem to be updating all that quickly. Seeing what the algorithm creates eg Eden near Proxima Centauri compared to Neil DeGrasse Tyson making comments about that being an Earth-like and being able to go check the 1:1 map is pure space awesomeness!

Last edited:
If the mods are going to close every duplicate thread - can they put the word "Trappist-1" in the title?

Thanks Yaffle, that'd be great.

In the meantime Woot!

When I was was a kid I thought that we'd never find extra solar planets. They just wouldn't resolve by any direct means.
And then came the first few candidates, and then there were a dozen and then hundreds then thousands and then terrestrials and then goldilocks terrestrials and now - I don't even know what to call a find like this.

It's like whatever we conceive is just a conservative guess.

It just hammers home: Why? Why the great silence? Where is everyone?

Edit: Yeah, updating Solar Forge with real time data would be preferable, but tricky perhaps? Luckily real time doesn't seem to be updating all that quickly. Seeing what the algorithm creates eg Eden near Proxima Centauri compared to Neil DeGrasse Tyson making comments about that being an Earth-like and being able to go check the 1:1 map is pure space awesomeness!

Alpha Centauri was a hand built system, brought across from the previous game Frontier, but yes, on my personal experience and a sample size of several thousand randomly generated systems with similar stars visited, the stellar forge would never throw out a system like this

The main issue I see with updating stellar forge, aside from all the technical hurdles, would be this - do you change the systems already visited and logged? If so how do we explain the make up of tens of thousands of systems changing overnight?.
If we only updated unvisited systems how do we explain why the dwarf stars near Sol are different from those in most of the rest of the galaxy?

Last edited:
Alpha Centauri was a hand built system, brought across from the previous game Frontier, but yes, on my personal experience and a sample size of several thousand randomly generated systems with similar stars visited, the stellar forge would never throw out a system like this

The main issue I see with updating stellar forge, aside from all the technical hurdles, would be this - do you change the systems already visited and logged? If so how do we explain the make up of tens of thousands of systems changing overnight?.
If we only updated unvisited systems how do we explain why the dwarf stars near Sol are different from those in most of the rest of the galaxy?

I bet most of people wouldn't even notice a change. It's just a game :) I would love that kind of modifications to make it more 'user friendly' ;) From my point of view half of habitable bubble could blow up and there will still be enough to visit.

the news is on all the front pages of the main newspapers here in italy.

i think is a very important discovery.

It's the first time we find so many little bodies near a star. ..and so '' near '' to our system !!! (39ly)
Now i think the percentage to find another earth planet are increased of 1000%.
and the percentage to find another life form outside our solar system are increased them too.
and so The Possibility of extraterrestrial intelligent life is no more an interrogative, it's a fact.

if only Asimov were yet with us... to see this news today :/

This is why I mentioned it may be tricky. I'm guessing SF is using an algorithm to populate the systems on first discovery based on observational data, which may have now been superseded so instead of individual system updates, the algorithm may need updating.

IMO, of the two main camps those who don't care won't, those who do may prefer realism.

the news is on all the front pages of the main newspapers here in italy.

Considering the average level of attention that actual (and factual) science usually gets on our newspapers, the fact that this news earned the front page in most of them is a news worthy of going to the frontpage in itself :D

But I had the decency not to check how TG4 or Studio Aperto presented it...I'm sure any italian would understand...

Top Bottom