National F5 day 11/12/2018

How do you mash yours?

f5_8erIY9SoL0.gif

f5.gif

Deleted member 38366

D
lol

Makes me wonder :
- why doesn't the Launcher have an automatic "Update/Install when ready" function?

Give it a very audible jingle and folks will just have to wait for it to kick into action.

Get ready to Other Stuph™ in between bouts of F5ing, or better yet, get that mashing automated...
Nine hours is a long time, I hope you've all been exercising your mashing fingers, or else you'll get carpel tunnel injuries.

Read a book (I'm told War and Peace is a suitable length), watch a movie (Steve Jackson's extended extended 15-Blu Ray edition of Lord of The Rings)...
Above all, have fun and don't listen to those funny preachers from SC land...

Interesting. I wonder why the copy and paste recommendations were never taken up and ctrl+c, ctrl+v became de facto?

apple finally succeeded in popularizing copy/paste programming? joke.

dunno, cua was a good idea but outside of the ibm ecosystem it didn't catch much on, maybe it didn't account for much of the existing and ever increasing diversity. microsoft partially adopted it early on but broke up with ibm soon anyway, and in the end took the pc consumer market by storm. only a few venerable vestiges remain, like f5, f1, f3 or escape. but apart from standard command keys it did also have a broader more subtle influence on rationalisation of ui design, like menus and dialog layouts, navigation and window behavior.

Interesting. I wonder why the copy and paste recommendations were never taken up and ctrl+c, ctrl+v became de facto?

I'm speculating, but:

1 - Apple used Command-C/Command-V and typically didn't have function keys.
2 - Microsoft were quite blatantly stealing UI concepts from everywhere.
3 - There was a certain amount of "don't give IBM more power" feeling at the time.

I'm speculating, but:

1 - Apple used Command-C/Command-V and typically didn't have function keys.
2 - Microsoft were quite blatantly stealing UI concepts from everywhere.
3 - There was a certain amount of "don't give IBM more power" feeling at the time.

It's probably subjective, but I think it is faster to have a shortcut in the main typing area than to switch to the F-bar. Usually you don't need a refresh while writing.

It's probably subjective, but I think it is faster to have a shortcut in the main typing area than to switch to the F-bar. Usually you don't need a refresh while writing.

There's that as well, but there was a lot of anti-IBM feeling from the personal computer makers back then. The IBM of today is a large but fairly irrelevant company. Back then? Well, to quote from 'Triumph of the Nerds':

- IBM - the largest computer company in the world...but in many ways IBM is really more a country than it is a company. It has hundreds of thousands of citizens, it has a bureaucracy, it has an entire culture - everything, in fact, but an army.

Top Bottom