Naval Action gets full release

Goose4291

Banned

I know a few people who post here are old hands with regards to naval action (Elite/EvE with wooden ships) so thought I'd just post up that the game is finally being classed as out of development by the end of June, with a full wipe.

Anyone thinking of returning to the Caribbean?

I heard so many people talking about dishonesty regarding dlc ships by the developers, banning criticism and so on that I pull this off my wishlist long time ago. I will wait a good time after the release and see if the wind changes, but thanks for the heads up. I would really like to play realistic old naval combat game.

I dont know. It seems to me some early access titles already fully exploit their niche target customers and have little to add to the playerbase with "launch". I considered Naval Action among those.

Must be like 2? 3? years now since I tried it out. Worked well with group activity organising largeish battles. I dropped it when mechanics became more grindy. The big map and travel times were a big enough git gud factor imo. Piling on grind wasn't what I was looking for. And neither set piece battles. Scouting for fleet and preparing the clash was good part of the fun.

Goose4291

Banned
I heard so many people talking about dishonesty regarding dlc ships by the developers, banning criticism and so on that I pull this off my wishlist long time ago. I will wait a good time after the release and see if the wind changes, but thanks for the heads up. I would really like to play realistic old naval combat game.

The dishonesty regarding DLC's is an odd one.

While some of the stuff everyone's happy with (for example, a premium ship styled on a Barbary Xebec with a massive crew size for easy boarding/heading upwind) people got really argue-y about some stuff based on the false premise that the devs said they'd never release 'proper' ships of the line (ie 3rd rate and above) as premium, and people got angry because a 4th rate was released as a premium ship citing it as a broken promise (despite the rating system going in ascending order).

The banning of criticism is pretty regular though, and something I dont agree with. However, those banned from forums etc generally aren't as innocent as they make out in terms of the vitriol they were throwing at them.

Goose4291

Banned
I have not touched that since...dunno, early Alpha. Is it any good nowadays?

I mean personally I enjoy it. I won't lie. It's still pretty much the same, with more ships and a few more mechanics.

My only bugbear is the steering of the community towards a large group centric focus if you want to 'win' in a strategic sense (ie port control and the ilk), however you can still get bang for your buck with smaller scale malarkey (I mostly ply the American seaboard with a mate in two unrated Schooners, robbing player traders and the odd unsuspecting frigate).

Goose4291

Banned
I dont know. It seems to me some early access titles already fully exploit their niche target customers and have little to add to the playerbase with "launch". I considered Naval Action among those.

Must be like 2? 3? years now since I tried it out. Worked well with group activity organising largeish battles. I dropped it when mechanics became more grindy. The big map and travel times were a big enough git gud factor imo. Piling on grind wasn't what I was looking for. And neither set piece battles. Scouting for fleet and preparing the clash was good part of the fun.

To be fair to them, they slackened back on the individual level grind, and focused it on group activities (such as fort building).

I too loved scouting before a big battle with my Niagara, sitting on the horizon and reporting enemy movement to the main fleet.

To be fair to them, they slackened back on the individual level grind, and focused it on group activities (such as fort building).

I too loved scouting before a big battle with my Niagara, sitting on the horizon and reporting enemy movement to the main fleet.
That is good to hear. Build with group is way better, imo.

Goose4291

Banned
That is good to hear. Build with group is way better, imo.

Pretty much my thinking too.

The only thing I don't like is to get in with the top tier there's a strong reliance on ship mods (shudder... engineers) over skill.

That said, skill is the deciding factor in In would say 85% of engagements as people are desperately keeping them for when the big bouts.

I got this years ago and I had high hopes and shelved it. Tried it again a few days ago, the battles are so slow paced and took so long it just put me to sleep. The mock up early access UI is still there and is just terrible imo. The game looks and feels great when you go into combat but the open world mode when you travel seems hollow and meh.

Ill check back in a couple more years.

I played a lot when it was first released on steam (late Jan 16?) to maybe alittle more then a year ago. Honestly, it's the most fun I've ever had in an online pvp game.
Unfortunately, their only pvp server is located in Germany as they dropped the server that was located in New Jersey. Being in the middle of NA makes it difficult to play and if your Aussie/Kiwi or far east impossible. As far as I know they have trouble populating the euro server with 400-600 being peak. It's a very large map and it's a real slow paced game as mentioned before. Huge time sink if you want to be competitive. Not only that but you run into the issues of RvR with global timezones and all the drama that comes with that.
I doubt I'll play unless they get a North American server again. You will not find a better age of sail combat game period.

I played a lot when it was first released on steam (late Jan 16?) to maybe alittle more then a year ago. Honestly, it's the most fun I've ever had in an online pvp game.
Unfortunately, their only pvp server is located in Germany as they dropped the server that was located in New Jersey. Being in the middle of NA makes it difficult to play and if your Aussie/Kiwi or far east impossible. As far as I know they have trouble populating the euro server with 400-600 being peak. It's a very large map and it's a real slow paced game as mentioned before. Huge time sink if you want to be competitive. Not only that but you run into the issues of RvR with global timezones and all the drama that comes with that.
I doubt I'll play unless they get a North American server again. You will not find a better age of sail combat game period.

I'm happy to report my ping to server is in the 140ms range which is a lot better then before. They are hitting the 1k Mark at peak on the pvp server which I haven't seen since 2016. Remains to be seen if they can hold them.

I'm happy to report my ping to server is in the 140ms range which is a lot better then before. They are hitting the 1k Mark at peak on the pvp server which I haven't seen since 2016. Remains to be seen if they can hold them.

They wiped the servers and gave out a bunch of freebies so everyones back like a big Elite patch, after a few weeks who knows.

Not really interested in the PvP side of things...but I believe there's a 'peace' server?

How's solo play for instance...has anyone tried it?

The game shines in combat, very slow paced and drawn out though. On the peace server ports can't change nationality and players cannot fight each other.

Its basically open pve only and then open pvp, Imagine that 😁

Yes, alot of people came back for the release. Alot of people refuse to come back too, devs burned some bridges. Vast majority of the clan I was in are not playing. Big RvR/PvP guys.

Yes, alot of people came back for the release. Alot of people refuse to come back too, devs burned some bridges. Vast majority of the clan I was in are not playing. Big RvR/PvP guys.

Yeah dev behavior in that game is cringe worthy, there's many examples in Steam reviews and its pretty sad.

Goose4291

Banned

Glad you're getting good numbers. I was going to say I was surprised you were having issues, seen as a lot of folk I play with are either convict or traitorous colonial types. :)

Who are you sailing for btw?

Top Bottom