Naval Action gets full release

Goose4291

Banned
Not really interested in the PvP side of things...but I believe there's a 'peace' server?

How's solo play for instance...has anyone tried it?

If you enjoy slow drawn out naval combat, you'll enjoy the PvE server.

However you will preclude yourself from what I would say is the proper meat of the game which is the battle for control of the carrib.

If you enjoy slow drawn out naval combat, you'll enjoy the PvE server.

However you will preclude yourself from what I would say is the proper meat of the game which is the battle for control of the carrib.
I'm not anti-PvP...but it holds no interest for me from a gaming perspective. I have visions of being pummelled to oblivion by random players floating around in first rate ships of the line as I try to master the sailing characteristics of my little barque/sloop...players in first rates blockading ports just to get that PvP fix...a bit like Eve at 33⅓ rpm.

I loved the speedboats with sails rendition of warfare at sea offered by Assassin's Creed, Black Flag...but like I mentioned...speedboats with sails with little tactical or mechanical considerations besides the fun factor...but physically controlling the Jackdaw standing on that quarter deck...pretty awesome.

I'm interested in Naval Action as an avid reader and fan of naval history and as a square rigger simulator...not as a contest.

Last edited:
I'm not anti-PvP...but it holds no interest for me from a gaming perspective. I have visions of being pummelled to oblivion by random players floating around in first rate ships of the line as I try to master the sailing characteristics of my little barque/sloop...players in first rates blockading ports just to get that PvP fix...a bit like Eve at 33⅓ rpm.

I loved the speedboats with sails rendition of warfare at sea offered by Assassin's Creed, Black Flag...but like I mentioned...speedboats with sails with little tactical or mechanical considerations besides the fun factor...but physically controlling the Jackdaw standing on that quarter deck...pretty awesome.

I'm interested in Naval Action as an avid reader and fan of naval history and as a square rigger simulator...not as a contest.

Imagine if in Elite they attacked your ship, beat you in combat, took your ship and now your back in a side winder and the person who killed you is waiting for you at spawn in a fleet with the ship they took from you, and they gank you with that. Sounds fun don't it 😁

When a ship dies that's it unless its some premium deeded ship that you can resummon. I like this on the pve side because it feels fair, adds to immersion and tension, on the pvp side its just painful lol. Especially if you happen to log in at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Goose4291

Banned
I'm not anti-PvP...but it holds no interest for me from a gaming perspective.

I probably haven't explained it well. What I'm trying to say is if you play on the PvE server, it's static so you miss out on the dynamic of port ownership.

I have visions of being pummelled to oblivion by random players floating around in first rate ships of the line as I try to master the sailing characteristics of my little barque/sloop...players in first rates blockading ports just to get that PvP fix...a bit like Eve at 33⅓ rpm.

I'm not going to pretend that doesn't happen, but it's like elite in that you can mitigate that risk to a reasonable level, by avoiding the daily PvP patrol zones (which act almost like a PP expansion zone in terms of drawing players to them) or simply not sitting in your factions homeport region but getting out a little into the world. Also it's quite rare to see first rate doomships outside of PvP hotspots, because of how valuable and awkward they are to build. And unlike elite, if you report these guys presence your own nation will generally sortie a task group to deal with them.

That's the only AC game I finished, so should show how much I agree with you.

Then like I say, you'll get something out of the PvE server... just IMO you're missing out on something that's a lot more fun, dynamic, challenging and rewarding.

Glad you're getting good numbers. I was going to say I was surprised you were having issues, seen as a lot of folk I play with are either convict or traitorous colonial types. :)

Who are you sailing for btw?

Well, I went USA this time around. Nostalgia I think. From the looks of things the clans may keep some of the east coast till some of the bigger clans get bored.
To be honest I'm having a hard time getting back into it. I completed the final exam on both accounts and now stare at the Port screen. It used to be alot easier getting started into econ/crafting. I used to make my money fighting then do econ/crafting last hour of the evening. Not anymore. Devs have kinda made it painful (time sink) even compared to what it used to be - and that's saying something.

How is this game for just being a trader and merchant?
Is that supported or really outside the intent of the game?
I note there are a handful of "Trader" ships on the wiki

Goose4291

Banned
How is this game for just being a trader and merchant?
Is that supported or really outside the intent of the game?
I note there are a handful of "Trader" ships on the wiki

It's doable, I have a few mates who do this.

Outside of the 'earn money' gameplay, Traders are massively needed by the various player groups as they (i) generate the reales needed to fund group activities and (ii) generally are the main driving force behind port upgrading.

It's doable, I have a few mates who do this.

Outside of the 'earn money' gameplay, Traders are massively needed by the various player groups as they (i) generate the reales needed to fund group activities and (ii) generally are the main driving force behind port upgrading.

Will look into it more, as was hoping that it would be limited to just "earn money" for oneself

Goose4291

Banned
You can, but the same issue ED suffers from extends appropriately.

One you have the creds, what are you gonna use them for? :)

Top Bottom