NDA/ealry bird pass?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Will there be a non-disclosure agreement for taking part at the alpha?

edit: sorry meant early :)

Last edited:
WAIT ? What ??? There will be a private alpha ??? [bored]

If you are talking about the Early Access (in March), then it's public (everyone can buy it) so ... no good reason to do that.

Last edited:
The customer support wasn´t sure whether it will be possible to upload footage from the alpha at YouTube! So...[woah]

I don't think there will be an NDA, because it would be mentioned already in the Frontier Store. Everyone can buy the early bird edition.
At first they planned to have a closed alpha which they mentioned somewhere in an article or video, but they now "upgraded" the early bird package and everyone starts off with the alpha version instead of the beta version.
Btw, for Elite Dangerous alpha footage was also allowed to be uploaded.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an NDA early on, which will be lifted after some time.

My reason to say this is the game is most likely hardly optimized at the time being.

Whining players who believe they are getting a "good quality product" when they buy in on alpha won't be good PR. This might reduce sales overall.

The NDA may be lifted when the game is better optimized in terms of performance especially. Nobody's interested in watching others play at 15 fps. (Not saying it's true for the current build, just saying if this is the case, for their sake, I hope there's an NDA)

So, anyone buying the early access should expect to report bugs, issues, technical and gameplay related problems rather than looking to have a great time the first few weeks, If not months.

Unless we're told otherwise.

Last edited:

Harbinger

Volunteer Moderator
NDA's are usually restricted to wholly private testing undertaken by paid QA testers, not those paying for the privilege. In addition you only need to look at the Alpha/Beta stage of Elite: Dangerous for past president from Frontier on this. People were streaming and uploading videos from the first alpha and it subsequently encouraged something like an additional 250,000 people to purchase/pre-order ahead of the initial release.

Although there may well be problems in early builds, if they are marked as such people are understanding of issues which can be resolved later.

It's all free publicity at the end of the day.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's an NDA early on, which will be lifted after some time.

My reason to say this is the game is most likely hardly optimized at the time being.

Whining players who believe they are getting a "good quality product" when they buy in on alpha won't be good PR. This might reduce sales overall.

The NDA may be lifted when the game is better optimized in terms of performance especially. Nobody's interested in watching others play at 15 fps. (Not saying it's true for the current build, just saying if this is the case, for their sake, I hope there's an NDA)

So, anyone buying the early access should expect to report bugs, issues, technical and gameplay related problems rather than looking to have a great time the first few weeks, If not months.

Unless we're told otherwise.

In case of RCTW, it happens. In Case of PC, I believe, it will not. If there any Performance issues, so its ok in some way, its an ALPHA! Atari Labeled this "something" we could play a weekend in October as BETA! There are universes between this two labels. Frontier says Alpha Access, this will help to get understanding for bugs, performance issues, etc.

Anyone who knows abput Software, will have a different look on a Alpha than a Beta. A Beta is a nearly Complete Software with a few last bugs to find. A Alpha represent an early preview that shows the Way the game will go. From the things Frontier showed us, this Alpha will be a thousand times more than the so called Beta of RCTW, i believe, there will be many good feedback, mainly in a really positive way. For a Alpha, im fine with 15 or 20 FPS at some points. In a Beta, i want 30+ in Heavy situations. Thats the case.

In case of RCTW, it happens. In Case of PC, I believe, it will not. If there any Performance issues, so its ok in some way, its an ALPHA! Atari Labeled this "something" we could play a weekend in October as BETA! There are universes between this two labels. Frontier says Alpha Access, this will help to get understanding for bugs, performance issues, etc.

Anyone who knows abput Software, will have a different look on a Alpha than a Beta. A Beta is a nearly Complete Software with a few last bugs to find. A Alpha represent an early preview that shows the Way the game will go. From the things Frontier showed us, this Alpha will be a thousand times more than the so called Beta of RCTW, i believe, there will be many good feedback, mainly in a really positive way. For a Alpha, im fine with 15 or 20 FPS at some points. In a Beta, i want 30+ in Heavy situations. Thats the case.
I completely agree !!!

Wauw. Just wauw Amazing idea!

[up]

Will there be an NDA?

I both sign and send NDA's quite often at work. Because we deal with limited numbers of people that are subject to something that could be quite valuable.

But when you sell an unlimited number of licences to gain access to a product like PC, the idea of an NDA offering any level of protection at all is laughable. If Frontier were to show an Alpha license screen when you launched the game telling you not to post video to YouTube, all it would serve to do is to make them look foolish when someone inevitably does.

Who knows if there will be an NDA? But I suspect not, as it's totally ineffective and unenforceable when more than a handful of people are concerned. Clearly if you sign an NDA and then upload prohibited footage of the game under your own account, then you're a fool... But there are any number of vbloggers out there tracking games that literally any of the alpha players could donate their footage to. Or just post it anonymously somewhere and wait for it to get published on YouTube by some random.

The only way NDA's can work is with closed testers, where each person plays a game with identifying markers that would make it possible to prove where the leak came from. If you're selling licenses to play on a large scale, you clearly can't implement that level of control.

Trust me, when PC goes into alpha play testing, the world will be watching the results the next day, if not within the hour. Frontier know that, it's inevitable.

Will there be an NDA?

I both sign and send NDA's quite often at work. Because we deal with limited numbers of people that are subject to something that could be quite valuable.

But when you sell an unlimited number of licences to gain access to a product like PC, the idea of an NDA offering any level of protection at all is laughable. If Frontier were to show an Alpha license screen when you launched the game telling you not to post video to YouTube, all it would serve to do is to make them look foolish when someone inevitably does.

Who knows if there will be an NDA? But I suspect not, as it's totally ineffective and unenforceable when more than a handful of people are concerned. Clearly if you sign an NDA and then upload prohibited footage of the game under your own account, then you're a fool... But there are any number of vbloggers out there tracking games that literally any of the alpha players could donate their footage to. Or just post it anonymously somewhere and wait for it to get published on YouTube by some random.

The only way NDA's can work is with closed testers, where each person plays a game with identifying markers that would make it possible to prove where the leak came from. If you're selling licenses to play on a large scale, you clearly can't implement that level of control.

Trust me, when PC goes into alpha play testing, the world will be watching the results the next day, if not within the hour. Frontier know that, it's inevitable.

Thanks a lot Deuce for your dispatch. [up] I think this helps a lot [heart]

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom