Need for a Roadmap and some truth

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
With the current debacle with Odyssey launch, a lot of people have been talking negatively about the game and this is shown on the steam reviews for odyssey, where it's mostly negative and this is bad. I love the game and I bought it solely for the fact that we could walk on planets, but the dream didn't last long after the DLC releasing and me unable to play the game.
At this point, a lot of people have lost hope because of the way the community is being treated, and how their thoughts and comments are being taken out of context. And here's the thing, I don't condone that behaviour of threatening people, that's not right and you can't feel proud of doing that, but when people are getting banned for legitimately stating their opinion and that being called a something, not cool FDev.
So, at this point, the way you need to stand up the players who are doing this is by handling professional, not calling people names or laughing at their opinion. If you can't be professional, then what's the point of thinking that people will take you serious. and foremost, not using people's message that are really negative as a way to ban legitimate opinions and sensible ones at that. A good way to get proper and clear option is by creating a post on the forum pages on forums here or taking it to your twitter or reddit at that point. And just put a question out there about what game features people would like to see. Use it as a way to find out what the community wants and incorporate that into the features.
And from that, create an actual roadmap that detail those features and tells us the progress about the feature. How much work is done, what update it might come out with, if it's going to be delayed, if it's become a priority or it's being put in the back to prioritise other features or issues, just these things will do to improve the community. And don't say you can't say until it's finalised, because as long as people have a rough confirmation on that the feature, ship, SRV coming and a rough schedule date, then people are willing to wait, as long it is reasonable.

Paul_Crowther

Community Manager
Frontier
It's a fun conspiracy theory the "All negative feedback is being silenced" but like most conspiracy theories it can be dispelled with just a small amount of investigation. Looking around the forums it should be quite clear that having a negative opinion does not get you banned. Anyone is welcome to share negative feedback, so long as it is constructive.

The only people having action taken against them are those breaking the rules, either by being disruptive to others, toxic or choosing to harass staff/individuals/teams. If someone is worried whether their comment might cross a line perhaps they should read it back as if it was being directed to them personally. Does it still come across as constructive and not aggressive?

It might be cathartic to go "RAAGH! YOU DO A LIE!" but there is very little we can do with that kind of "feedback".

So, at this point, the way you need to stand up the players who are doing this is by handling professional, not calling people names or laughing at their opinion. If you can't be professional, then what's the point of thinking that people will take you serious. and foremost, not using people's message that are really negative as a way to ban legitimate opinions and sensible ones at that. A good way to get proper and clear option is by creating a post on the forum pages on forums here or taking it to your twitter or reddit at that point. And just put a question out there about what game features people would like to see. Use it as a way to find out what the community wants and incorporate that into the features.
The only name calling on these forums are from players. And if we consider “white knight” to be name calling, 90% of the name calling is coming from the people complaining.

As for the rest of your post, ”bug fixing” and “performance improvements” appears to be the ”roadmap.” Unless they knew for sure exactly what the sources of problems are, they cannot give firm timelines.

It's a fun conspiracy theory the "All negative feedback is being silenced" but like most conspiracy theories it can be dispelled with just a small amount of investigation.
Except you would say that regardless, as technically you are the accused. Very rarely do people admit their 'crimes', for lack of a better word. I would like to point out though, I do believe you, but I doubt OP would given the above. Sadly, I don't have a solution for that, I just thought you should be aware of it.

The only people having action taken against them are those breaking the rules, either by being disruptive to others, toxic or choosing to harass staff/individuals/teams. If someone is worried whether their comment might cross a line perhaps they should read it back as if it was being directed to them personally. Does it still come across as constructive and not aggressive?
With due respect, this tends to be weighted towards those who are critiquing Frontier rather than those defending. I've been on the receiving end of "disruptive to others, toxic, or choosing to harass" posts that are aggressive and not constructive, yet these posts go unmoderated despite being reported, apparently because it's coming from a pro-Frontier forum member. At least that's how it appears.

I'm all for these rules of civility being applied to this forum, but only if they apply to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
With due respect, this tends to be weighted towards those who are critiquing Frontier rather than those defending. I've been on the receiving end of "disruptive to others, toxic, or choosing to harass" posts that are aggressive and not constructive, yet these posts go unmoderated despite being reported, apparently because it's coming from a pro-Frontier forum member. At least that's how it appears.

I'm all for these rules of civility being applied to this forum, but only if they apply to everyone.
I've DEFINITELY noticed this as well. Most suggestions posts get met with "but that is not how the game is currently, therefore the suggestion of a change is bad" in general.

Then, someone comes along and responds to a post, sentence by sentence, picking it apart. Which is definitely a tactic, to nitpick every little chunk and divide and conquer.

People rarely actually discuss what would make the game better, they just say "this is how it is".

I've DEFINITELY noticed this as well. Most suggestions posts get met with "but that is not how the game is currently, therefore the suggestion of a change is bad" in general.

Then, someone comes along and responds to a post, sentence by sentence, picking it apart. Which is definitely a tactic, to nitpick every little chunk and divide and conquer.

People rarely actually discuss what would make the game better, they just say "this is how it is".
Technically that's allowed IIRC. It's the "Shouldn't you be playing X4 rather than posting in this forum?" and "Hahaha, it's Old Duck the liar" and "Anybody who believes that is an idiot" posts that I feel cross the line. And yes, I've been guilty of the same, but I have been trying relatively hard to be "constructive" recently. Discuss the post, not the poster, and all that.

Some guy saying that IRL Mars has the same repeating tiles as Odyssey doesn't bother me, no matter how ridiculous the argument is. Some guy calling me an idiot or telling me to "leave this forum and go play X4" does.

Speaking of forum rules, I've said my peace and am bowing out of this little debate lest I get an infraction for discussing moderation. To that point, if a moderator or community manager gets to say, "All moderation is far and balanced" in a public post and yet people who disagree cannot because the rules prevent discussing moderation, well that doesn't feel overly far and balanced. Thankfully my previous post was allowed (thank you mods) and I didn't receive any infractions, so it looks like we are being given a little leeway in this regards. Like I said above, I'm all for a civil forum, I really am. I'm just not very good at turning the other cheek when someone slaps me first ;)

But I'm trying!

Last edited:
It's a fun conspiracy theory the "All negative feedback is being silenced" but like most conspiracy theories it can be dispelled with just a small amount of investigation. Looking around the forums it should be quite clear that having a negative opinion does not get you banned. Anyone is welcome to share negative feedback, so long as it is constructive.

It might be cathartic to go "RAAGH! YOU DO A LIE!" but there is very little we can do with that kind of "feedback".

Best reply ever!
You could be a diplomat Paul!

Did you feel a bit harassed when you found out a user was keeping a notebook about you?
Certainly felt quite weird and creepy from a neutral point of view.

Have you tracked the number of posts moderated? I am unabashedly oro Frontier but I also get moderated if I get a bit overzealous.

I'd shy away from claims of one group or the other is being treated with favoritism unless I had some data to support that assertion.

OP, there is an entire section of the forums labeled features and ideas discussion where people can post their ideas.

Did you feel a bit harassed when you found out a user was keeping a notebook about you?
Certainly felt quite weird and creepy from a neutral point of view.
To be honest, I found it kinda funny, because truth be told I have tried to quit this forum more than once. Not because the forum is bad (though my complaint above remains), but because I find it a bit addictive. I've learned my lesson not to ever say "goodbye" ever again, LOL. In other words, I kinda deserved that one, weird as it may be.

The thread that notebook was brought up in was also a more personal-focused thread, focused on somebody announcing their departure, rather than arguing merits about the game itself. Though I do always find it disheartening when so many of the game's loyal supporters reply with, "Nobody will miss you!" and "Don't let the door hit you!" and "Can I haz your stuphz?", because that does nothing to make the community feel kind or welcoming, and therefore it does nothing to foster the game these folk supposedly love so much.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom